DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Various questions FCP3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/801-various-questions-fcp3.html)

J. Clayton Stansberry May 2nd, 2004 04:07 PM

Glenn,

Are you talking about the velocity in the Time Remap? I have tried that, but it won't let me change the velocity % for some reason. If that's not what you are talking about, what is the velocity envelope thingie?

Clay

Matt Stahley May 22nd, 2004 09:52 PM

General Error FCP3 help!

I get a general error now when I try to capture now. I have always used the capture now feature with this same setup with no problems. All of a sudden I get a general error as soon as i hit the "now" button. I had just captured footage a few days ago with no problems.Havent installed any new software etc. My system had been soild until now. Any suggestions? FCP3 - 10.2.8 - I tried restarting etc. also.

Jeff Donald May 22nd, 2004 09:58 PM

Matt, this thread should help. If not, post back.

Matt Stahley May 22nd, 2004 10:18 PM

Jeff BIG thanks for the link! I trashed the prefs and repaired permissions and now back to normal!

matt

Jeff Donald May 22nd, 2004 10:24 PM

Another satisfied customer. I'm glad it helped and thanks for posting back Matt.

Matt Stahley May 31st, 2004 04:44 PM

Is FCP upgrade still full version?

Is my FCP3 serial # the only thing needed to install upgrade versions of FCP? My G4 is a dual boot and I had FCP2 running in OS9 then got the 3 upgrade and ran in OSX. Now I would like to start out with a fresh install with no more OS9 on the mac at all. My main concern is that I would need the following versions installed on the computer is this true or is the FCPhd upgrade a full version as well?

Thanks

Jeff Donald May 31st, 2004 05:28 PM

You'll need to purchase the upgrade to FCP 4, then download the free upgrade to FCP HD (4.5). To the best of my recollection, FCP 3 install was a problem for some people without OS 9.x.x on the drive. I would install 9 then FCP, then delete 9 when all the install are done and you're cleaning up your drives.

Dean Sensui May 31st, 2004 07:00 PM

I upgraded from v1.2 to HD (4.5).

It's a full install but will ask you for your old serial number. You can probably use any of the old serial numbers from your previous versions.

If you get the full shipped version it comes with a DVD full of HD sample footage as well as a quarter-ton of documentation.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Eugene Presley June 1st, 2004 02:50 AM

Media Manager acting strange

Hi there,

I like to back-up my projects using Media Manager.

Using FCP3, this worked perfectly : images/shots/audio you did not used for your final edit were deleted, so saving a project 'doing a media manager' saves me some gigabytes.

Since I'm using FCP4, this media manager-option doesn't work properly. Wrong audio-tracks are put under images I did not use in my project.
Everytime I end up with a totally new project that is completly useless.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

Eugène.

Jeff Donald June 1st, 2004 06:00 AM

I'm not sure it works for this, but have you tried trashing the preferences? There is a notice at the top that explains the procedure.

Kevin Burnfield June 2nd, 2004 08:55 AM

I found a old unregistered copy of 2.0 for a client of mine and then bought the 4.0 upgrade for them all for a whopping 500 bucks.

Being able to upgrade from ANY previous, registerable, version is fantastic.

The word is getting around about the HD capabilities of 4.5. A LOT of buzz is being generated among people who used to dismiss FCP.

John Kaye June 15th, 2004 05:41 PM

Movie edited on FCP 3 can it be opened in FCP Hd

I finished editing my movie on FCP3, now I need to do some adjustments and I have upgraded my system to FCPHD. Will I have any problems opening the movie in it? I don't wanna mess up any sequences or have some bugs that might affect it. Am I being paranoid? Any input on this is appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff Donald June 15th, 2004 09:54 PM

Your project will be converted to be compatible with the current version of FCP. After conversion it may not be compatible with prior versions of FCP.

Kevin Burnfield June 16th, 2004 01:41 PM

agreed so if you have any chance of needing to drop this back into FCP3 make sure you back up your project files where they won't get updated.

David Phillips June 19th, 2004 05:11 AM

Still Image Problem

Hi.
FCP3 Mac G4
I have still images saved as JPGs which wont render in the timeline. A message pops up saying, 'Codec not found'.
I've never had this problem before. Do the images need saving as something else? If so, any idea's?
Regards

Jeff Donald June 19th, 2004 05:29 AM

What is the source of the jpeg's and in what program were they edited and saved?

David Phillips June 19th, 2004 04:52 PM

Hi
They were scanned into PSP7 and saved as JPgs which is the same as I've always done it with no problems before.

Jeff Donald June 19th, 2004 05:24 PM

Follow the instructions at the top of the forum for trashing preferences. Make sure you get all three files and repair permissions afterwards.

David Phillips June 20th, 2004 12:08 PM

??

Jeff Donald June 20th, 2004 12:10 PM

It's the first post at the top of this forum.

Tim Tonner June 23rd, 2004 07:08 AM

backing up project

Working with FCP 3 on a G4 running OSX, I should be backing up my project. How does one do this? (I also have a second hard drive. ) And I was also told that it may be wise to back it up to an external hard drive, which I am looking into as they are rather affordable at a nearby Mac dealer. Now if I get the external drive, will the whole project, with all it's files, easily drag into that drive, or is there more to it?

Boyd Ostroff June 23rd, 2004 07:38 AM

Sure, you shouldn't have any problem backing up to an external drive. Just make sure you've located the folder hierarchy where all the capture and render files are stored, then drag to the external drive. Unless you have changed the scratch disk in your preferences these can be found at:

[your boot drive]/Documents/Final Cut Pro Documents/

Also a note if you're using multiple removable drives and want to be able to transport them between computers (or work on a project that you stored to an external drive). You will need to specifically set the preference to your firewire drive or FCP will put your capture and render files on the boot drive of whatever machine you're using. This has burned me in the past with FCP3. When you plug in the external drive go to the preferences in FCP and select it as your scratch disk.

Paul Moore June 25th, 2004 10:14 AM

There is kind of a fast and easy way to backup. I learned this trick from Ken Stone and it saved me on a project someone wanted re edited. What you do is save your final cut file and not the actual video clips. If you need to pull the project in again you just pull the project off of what ever u back up to and open the file in FCP. It will ask you for the media and you will be able to recapture the clips from the tapes you used. It requires that you log your tapes so at least you know what is what but it works great.

I also kind of recall something about saving the EDL but I think thats only if u plan on going to something other than a FCP editing system.

Check Kens site to read the full directions.

www.kenstone.net

Boyd Ostroff June 25th, 2004 10:18 AM

Sure, that should work fine too, but if you're in the middle of a big project it's nice to have the security of a "clone" that includes everything needed on an external drive. And large firewire drives are reasonably priced now. It sure saved me from a nightmare last fall....

Sarah Horrocks July 15th, 2004 10:02 PM

GL2 editing with FCP3

The Canon website says that the GL2 is only compatible with FCP4... has anyone tried using it with FCP3? Are there any problems? What about with iMovie? Any help? Thanks.

Jeff Donald July 15th, 2004 10:14 PM

The GL2 is compatible with iMovie, and previous versions of FCP.

Sarah Horrocks July 15th, 2004 10:20 PM

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Donald July 15th, 2004 10:23 PM

Your welcome and thanks for becoming a member.

Tim Tonner July 24th, 2004 12:12 PM

mixing audio in FCP 3

Greetings---
I have five to six audio tracks (vos, nat sound, music, etc) in my FCP 3 project...
I have added filters (compression. etc.) to the voiceover audio tracks and now wish to ramp down/up music levels accordingly.
However, ANY adjustment to music levels results in always re-rendering voiceovers, because they have effects added, in order to hear the mix. Is there some way to get around this? I hate to constantly be re-rendering every time I make a change in my music tracks.

Mike Hanlon July 24th, 2004 02:15 PM

This might work.

Mute the tracks you want to adjust the levels of (and any other tracks you need to make changes to), leave the VO and all the other tracks unmuted.

Export the audio as an AIFF.

Import the resulting AIFF. Now you have a fully rendered stereo audio pair with the VO (and anything else you exported).

Reverse the mute settings on all the tracks so now the tracks that were exported/unmuted are now those muted.

Place the imported AIFF in the timeline.

Make your adjustments on the music tracks to get the levels you want.

The AIFF file you have in the timeline can be used in the final edit or you can delete it from the timeline and unmute everything. Of course doing the latter will require a full audio rerender.

Glenn Chan July 24th, 2004 08:56 PM

Other solutions I see:
1- upgrade to FCP4. *You are asking for problems if you wish to go from FCP3 to FCP4. It works for some folks and doesn't for others. There are known issues.

2- Export an OMF to an audio application. If you own virtually any audio software, you can upgrade to Digital Performer cheaply (through the website). There are other audio editing apps out there too.

Tim Tonner November 28th, 2004 12:21 PM

creating a master

Greetings---

I need to create a master of my project (created in FCP3, G4-OSX) to hand off to my duplicator. In the past, I have simply made a copy to to miniDV, and they created the DVD Master for duplication from it. I do not have iDVD or any DVD creation software (I hope to at some point). In any case, a recent DVD-R check dub was created from my most recent miniDV master and upon viewing it, I noticed a few hits and a few audio dropouts. I plan to address this with the duplicator this week to see what might have happened, to compare my master against the check dub. My question is, is it possible to somehow save my project, as some sort of file, with all it's media, to my 160 gig external hard drive, take it to whoever creates the DVD Master, and then export it from the external drive toward authoring a DVD master? And will they need to be working in FCP?

Thanks,
Tim

Jeff Donald November 28th, 2004 12:48 PM

No, you could make a QuickTime copy on your HD and then they would not need FCP.

Tim Tonner November 28th, 2004 01:45 PM

creating master

Good idea...and would the QuickTime copy be at the level of quality of the project when I hand it off to?

Jeff Donald November 28th, 2004 03:09 PM

There are various options for choices of codecs to use. DV or DVCPRO is certainly an option, as are several uncompressed formats. You replication company will need a way to handle an uncompressed file however. Standard DV will be your best choice for maximum compatibility and good quality.

Alfred Okocha November 28th, 2004 03:44 PM

I generally make my masters using a FCP(QT) file. If that is, however, the best option qualitywise I don't know. I know that they don't need FCP to make a DVD with iDVD, Toast or DVDSP.

It would be great to know what format you pros export to..

John Poore February 4th, 2005 03:18 PM

FCP and Quicktime

I've got FCP 3 and everytime I try to save project as a Quicktime file the result is a white screen with audio only. Basically there's no picture, but audio. I've tried to save a single clip and that works ok, so do a couple of clips budged together, but a full edit, no way. Anyone here with greater experience of FCP than I know what's going on here?

Kind regards

Boyd Ostroff February 4th, 2005 03:51 PM

Are you using Mac OS 9 or OSX? I had a similar problem myself a couple years ago, although I think it had to do with exporting stills via quicktime - I got blank white images.

I can't remember if I ever solved this or not, but at the time I was running FCP 3 under OS 9 on a Titanium PowerBook G4/667. I suggest trying the following:

1. Make sure you have downloaded the final version of the FCP 3 update from Apple's website.

2. FCP 3 has some issues with newer versions of QT Pro. If you have installed any updates (which might have happened inadventently via the software update or installation of a new version of OSX) then you should downgrade to the original version which came with your FCP install disks. This is tricky and involves messing around a bit as I recall.

3. I have purposely kept my FCP 3 system at OS X 10.2.8 with its original version of QT pro. It works fine, so I don't plan to upgrade anything until I'm also ready to go to the latest version of FCP - which will probably be when I upgrade my hardware to a G5 :-)

Zareh Tjeknavorian February 4th, 2005 11:23 PM

audio distortion and FCP

I am capturing material from a DVX100ae (PAL). I noticed that my audio is distorted when I capture it in FCP3. My levels do get pretty hot, though I had the limiter on, but when I listen to the audio through the camera itself I don't hear any distortion. I assume this has something to do with FCP and possibly PAL settings.

Just for the record, the audio was recorded at 48khz and this is also selected in the capture presets.

Any ideas?

John Poore February 5th, 2005 10:48 AM

Thanks for this Boyd. I thought it might be system issues, and oddly enough I am running FCP3 from G4 867 laptop.