DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Various questions FCP3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/801-various-questions-fcp3.html)

Ken Tanaka May 22nd, 2003 12:15 PM

You would have to have a way to program the wheel's actions to match the FCP key commands corresponding to how you want FCP to behave. Once done, you would have to have a way to save that application's settings. I don't know if the mice you're using have such capabilities but I suspect they do. This is basically how the Contour Design ShuttlePro operates.

Curtis T. Stoeber May 22nd, 2003 01:20 PM

Or Apple could design the windows in FCP to behave like the OS windows. That would work.

Steve Nunez May 23rd, 2003 07:24 PM

low res prior to DV ?

Hello FCP'ers....

quck question for your FCP3 experts....

I capture all my footage as DV without compression (raw DV) and edit in FCP as such.....but with my 933 machine i find myself waiting long times for certain effects or composites to render out- is there a way to edit in a lower res mode to speed up the "non rendered" footage to finalize the edit then change the sequence back to raw DV for export back out to tape? I know the entire sequence will need to be rendered out where needed- but I'd like to edit and composite the footage first in a lower res mode to assemble the edits then preview it for effectiveness prior to commiting to a full DV sequence.

I'm aware of the "Offline RT" but that's not a good solution for people who have their footage archived as raw DV and wish to work with it natively......any recommendations? I'm also aware of the other "res" modes when building sequences- but was wondering if there's another prefferd method.

Thank to any and all whom can help.

Guest May 23rd, 2003 08:09 PM

That's too bad. It definitely slows me down.

Simon Plissi May 24th, 2003 11:18 AM

Scroll wheels do now work in FCP4. Just saw the first UK demo last week and the scroll wheel can be used in certain areas, maybe more, but we didn't see eveything.

If I remember right the scroll wheel was used to control a slider.

FYI the a scroll wheel can be used to control the play head in QT Player.

Joe Lloyd May 24th, 2003 06:13 PM

No realtime effects

Hi there,

I just realized that none of my realtime effects are actually working in FCP3. I mean I even need to render a cross dissolve. I have the dual g4 1.25 powermac running FCP 3.04 and the latest version of quicktime. My realtime audio mixing is set to 4 and audio playback at low. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Donald May 25th, 2003 10:00 AM

Hi Steve,

I don't know of a practical way to achieve what you want. The built in method is the best way to achieve what you want. I don't know if FCP 4 will offer any additional features in this regard or not.

Chris Kraft June 2nd, 2003 12:28 PM

Audio/Video sync problems FCP3

I have a Powerbook 17", 1gb ram, LaCie 200gb FW800 external and FCP3. When I try and capture from my GL1 to my external drive, I get audio/video sync problems. The video is off by a good 2-3 seconds. My drive's plugged into the FW800 and the camera's into the FW400.

When I capture to my internal drive, there's no problem.

Should I daisy-chain my camera into my FW800 drive, then into my FW800 port in the Powerbook?

Thanks-

Duane Martin June 4th, 2003 11:59 AM

I don't actually have a solution, but I have read that by putting a Firewire 400 devices on a Firewire 800 chain you limit the speed of the Firewire 800 to Firewire 400. Unfortunately, the site I saw this posting on, BareFeats, appears to be having some problems right now. I cannot confirm this is what I actually read.

Does your audio sync problem happen right off the top of your capture, or after a few minutes (the GL-1 requires the Sync Adjust Movies... Preference to be checked).

As well, the Quicktime 6.3 update claims to help with audio/video sync issues. However, as the problem only happens when capturing to your FW800 drive, it maybe that is the issue.

I really should just let someone who has the equipment and knowledge answer this one rather than indulging in speculation.

Bud Kuenzli June 5th, 2003 12:49 AM

couple of things...

first do the simple and obvious things. defrag the drive with your choice of tools. I use speed disk from norton after an OS9 boot. There are others.

if that doesn't do it, replace the cable with a high quality cable.

get the latest quicktime for sure.

be sure your audio is 16 bit. QT 6.03 is supposed to help with 12bit audio import.

if you have optimized the drive and updated the software then you have to wonder if the drive is good enough for external capture. Many aren't.

Richard DuPree June 9th, 2003 08:15 AM

FCP3 and OS 10.2.6: exporting M2V files

Anybody out there had this problem:

I'm using FCP3 in OS 10.2.6. Everything's properly rendered and ready for export to M2V. When I go to the M2V options dialog box and see that there are no estimates of file size listed, only "--", I KNOW from experience there is a problem. It's usually at tiny piece of unrendered footage. BUT NO, everything is cool on that end.

SO, I re-boot in OS9.2, try the same thing, and in the M2V options dialog box everything is completely normal. I proceed with the export and everything goes normally to completion.

Now, I know that I have exported to M2V while in OS 10 earlier in this project, so what is different now. Is there any possibility that working on the same file in FCP3 booted in the different OS's could be an issue?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Richard DuPree, Manager
Music Media Services
College of Music
University of North Texas
Denton, TX 76203

Curtis T. Stoeber June 10th, 2003 12:45 AM

I think the problem is OS X. I have had nothing but troubles trying to edit for DVD in OS X using FCP3 and DVD Studio Pro. I haven't had the problems exporting to M2V that you have, but I have had problems with FCP3 itself and many many problems with A.pack. Everything works perfectly under OS 9. OS 9 is simply better than OS X when it comes to working with video.

Hopefully FCP4 and DVD Studio Pro 2 will change this.

Dave Morrison June 24th, 2003 06:40 AM

FCP 3 error at launch

I couldn't find anything in the archives on this and Google didn't help much either, but I'm getting an error upon launch of FCP 3 due to the program not finding "IsochronousDataHandlerLib", whatever that is. Any ideas?

Dave

Ken Tanaka June 24th, 2003 01:56 PM

That's a new one on me, Dave. You'll probably be best served trying Apple's support site for this one, perhaps even browsing their support discussions if nothing turns up in their knowledge base.

Dave Morrison June 24th, 2003 09:17 PM

Ken,
I finally figured it out after searching Apple's site (no hits) and it turns out that my updating Quicktime to the latest version hosed my QT inside of FCP. Apparently FCP was looking for the older version and got confused when it found v6. This kinda ticks me off. I just recently bought a Mac so that I could get away from this kind of app conflict nonsense. I thought I got away from this kind of "Windows nonsense" but I guess not. I still use my Win machine and I'm REALLY trying to love my Mac too.

dave

....oops, forgot to add that I had to trash all of QT6 and reinstall FCP to get it working again

d

Ken Tanaka June 24th, 2003 10:41 PM

Huh. That's nasty. I've upgraded QT at least twice while using FCP3 and never encountered that bug (although I always expected it...coming from a PC world, also).

Thanks for following-up here, Dave. It may well be a blessing to someone else who hits this bugaboo.

Michael Martin June 26th, 2003 04:37 PM

fcp3 and fonts

Hi,
New to macs so maybe this is an easy one, but i can't find it anywhere. I recently installed a new true type font, ttf into my library on my hard drive. It's recognized by all my other programs except fcp3. Any ideas why/how to solve?
thanks

Michael Martin June 27th, 2003 04:25 PM

split screen fcp3

I am trying to get a split screen effect on fcp3, but when I resize both clips and render, my mac slows down to nothing. Memory problem or? Running a dual 867 w/133MHz system bus 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM - 1 DIMM ATI Radeon 9000 Pro dual-display w/64MB DDR

thoughts?

Michael Martin June 27th, 2003 04:46 PM

can retract

Sorry,
I got it to work. Seems it was just a matter of shutting down and restarting as i've done it twice now with the desired results.

Jeff Donald June 28th, 2003 10:29 AM

I don't beleive FCP3 supports True Type Fonts. It may in FCP4, I haven't had a chance to install FCP4 yet.

Allan Michaud July 5th, 2003 05:23 AM

XL1 to Final CP 3 settings?

Hi
I am using a PAL xl1 in SE Asia where i bought my 800hz IMac and I have just started using FCP3 in OSX but have run into problems from the start. So far I am unable to get the footage into the computer as I keep getting the "dropped frame warning" so many people seem to have problems with. I believe I have the correct settings and have been searching web sites for relevant info in vain. Does anyone have any experience of this or recomend any particular group of settings. I have everything set to PAL, the device control set to firewire basic as per the apple site but still no luck.
Also pls note I am trying to capture to a separate HD with over 110 gb available, and have tried all the ways to capture, batch etc without any luck.
many thanks
'bloody frustrated' of Phnom Penh

Jeff Donald July 5th, 2003 08:22 AM

Just turn off the warning, It's in FCP preferences and says something like warn and abort capture on dropped frames. Uncheck that box and try capturing again. What type of drive is your second drive? Is it an external FireWire drive? USB drives aren't fast enough. iMacs can only have one internal drive.

Allan Michaud July 5th, 2003 10:26 PM

many thanks
I think maybe the external HD maybe the problem, it is firewire, but i have tried using the internal HD as the scratch disc and it seems ok, so I am going to take the HD back to the shop to get it looked at. I also tried importing in imovie to the ext HD and had a similar problem, the quality was awful and it seemed to be droping frames.
From what I have read turning off the warnings will mean I will have problems with future editing, is that the case or should I not be concerned.
cheers
Allan

Bud Kuenzli July 6th, 2003 01:27 PM

dropped frames problem

if the dropped frames are infrequent and there aren't too many of them it probably wont' be an issue if you're not too picky and the footage isn't critical. if you have a lot of them then of course things could get jerky and nasty. One missing frame from a movie would normally not be noticed but of course the real issue is why the dropped frames. It can be the fw cable (surprise) or the drive or the drive being too fragmented. I have one drive that cannot even be on the fw chain if I want to capture. I have to dismount it entirely. If the drive is too slow or badly fragmented that can be a problem so you might want to defrag before trying other things.

Erik Selakoff July 15th, 2003 06:54 PM

Can I-Movie's Sound FX be imported to FCP 3?

Just wondering how I could go about using I-Movie Sound FX in FCP 3 if it is at all possible.
Thanks.

Curtis T. Stoeber July 15th, 2003 07:37 PM

It's been a looooooooong time since I attempted to mess with iMovie, but I *believe* that there is a folder somewhere (checking.... iMovie>iMovie>Resources>Sound Effects... at least in OS 9 anyway) with the sounds you want in them. Simply import that folder into FCP3 and you'll be able to use them to your heart's content. If you are using OS X then go to the Finder, press Apple-F to open the search menu and search for "Sound Effects" and you'll find it.

Erik Selakoff July 16th, 2003 02:15 AM

Thank you so much!!!

Mark Sloan July 21st, 2003 01:33 PM

If there are sounds you cannot find you can always drop the audio into a blank iMovie and then export as an AIFF or something and get it that way...

Craig Hollenback October 6th, 2003 05:41 PM

32k/ 48k audio, Final Cut 3

I'm a new owner of the DVX100...it's probably the most fun camera I've owned since the XL-1, 6 years ago. Picture wise it's on par with my DV500 and the 24p option makes it extraordinary. I recently shot an event and have found that I had the audio set at 32k. I edit in FCP at 48k to mix in SFX and music. Is there a way to convert the 32 k to 48k during the log and loading process so as not to have to render up all the audio while I work in the time line? Thanks, Craig Hollenback

Rob Lohman October 7th, 2003 10:01 AM

I'm not a mac user, but do you need the 32 khz 4 channel mode?
Otherwise you can just switch the camera into 2 channel audio
mode and get 48 khz. I would have thought FCP3 had a 32khz
project template as well....

What you might be able to do is change the project to 32khz
and then render out to 48 khz if that is what you need!

Charlie Spickler October 8th, 2003 08:34 AM

Sound Capture on FCP3

I am having trouble capturing sound onto my iBook from my XL-1S. The picture is fine and I heat the sound on the camera through the phones/out line but there is no sound coming out of my computer and it is not capturing the clips with sound.
Does anyone have an idea what is going on here? I have played with all of the usual settings.
Help!
Charlie Spickler

Denis Murphy October 8th, 2003 01:21 PM

32k-48k

AFAIK there is no way to upsample audio during the capture process in FCP 1, 2 or 3... Can't tell you about 4. Maybe a post in the Apple FCP forum would get you the answer.

Rob Lohman October 8th, 2003 02:07 PM

What audio settings are you using on the XL1S?

Charlie Spickler October 8th, 2003 02:41 PM

I have a better question, what setting should the XL-1s be set to? I just got it and am not quite sure.

Charlie Spickler October 9th, 2003 05:04 AM

Does anyone know what audio settings the XL-1S should be set at for clip capturing on Final Cut Pro 3? I am not having any problems with the image, just the audio?
Help Help Help!!!
Thank You

Ryan Morris October 12th, 2003 11:11 PM

FCP3 and 24P?

I have a G4 Dual 450/1.3GIG RAM, GigEthernet, 20GIG system drive 1-45GIG and 1-160GIG firewire external drive setup and was wondering if I could edit 24P in FCP3/4 or if Premiere 6.5 would be a better option. I'm totally new to the 24P concept and was wondering what my capabilites would be with my exsisting setup. Forgive my ignorance, but any input would be great.
Thanks
Ryan

Jeff Donald October 12th, 2003 11:24 PM

FCP 4 would be the preferred software on a Mac. FCP 3 would need Cinema Tools to edit 24p (additional $1,000 program). The necessary essentials of cinema Tools are included in FCP 4, thus saving you $1,000. Adobe has discontinued further development of Premiere on Macs. Acquiring Premiere of Mac would be counter productive at this point, as your efforts would be best utilized by learning FCP.

Ryan Morris October 13th, 2003 10:39 AM

So, do you think FCP4 would run at an acceptable speed on my setup? I've checked the system requirements and mine just meets the baseline, so I would want to be sure before I make a 750-999 dollar investment. Powerlogix and Sonnett both have dual 1gigahertz upgrades for my machine, but there again would it be required? I do basic cross fades, color correction, filters and so on, what do you think? Or, is it better to use AE 4.1 to do anything beyond straight cuts and so on with 24P? Just looking to the future and thanks again.
Ryan

Ted Springer October 13th, 2003 01:42 PM

It really depends on what you want to do. FCP3 can indeed edit 24p. It cannot remove or insert pulldown, however. If you shoot with the DVX100, you could shoot in the 24p normal mode (not ADVANCED) and you could edit that in any non-linear editor at 29.97 fps. But if you are exporting to DVD, then 24p might be good for you. To do that, the pulldown would need to be removed. This happens automatically in FCP4 when capturing (if you shoot in ADVANCED pulldown mode).

I would just stick with the normal pulldown in FCP3 if I were you, unless you really need a 24p file to export to DVD for some reason.

Jeff Donald October 13th, 2003 03:53 PM

FCP 4 will run fine on a dual 450 system. You will not have many tracks of RT video, but will work fine in the capacity you have described.