Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 27th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos San Roman
This is real disappointing. For as long as Apple made us wait for the update you think they could have got it right. I shot my daughters hockey game on Saturday (24p) and when I went to capture it today, FCP created a new clip every time the camera was restarted (I stopped shooting when play was stopped). I wouldn’t mind so much about the segmented new clips but the fact that it cuts out the first seven seconds of each clip really blows. You lose so much of the flow of the game. JVC should really put the screws to Apple and make them fix this problem. It cut a 40 minute game into 50 clips. Divide that by 7 seconds of lost tape, I lost almost 6 minutes of the game!
FCP is set by default to make a new clip everytime you start/stop. the bug is that even if you turn it off, it does it anyway. that said, why on earth would you be constantly starting and stopping that much for a sports event ? with a 1hr tape load, you should not stop tape unless its the normal breaks for quarters. this constant starting and stopping almost guarantees missing something.

For things where starting and stopping is not a problem, I got into the habit a very long time ago shooting with betaSP to start rolling a good 5 -10 secs before anything happened. its just plain good shooting to work that way. in the betaSP days you needed to be sure to have 5 secs for preroll, especially if you where in free run TC. I see shooting the HD100 no differently, and always roll at least 10secs. I usually start rolling while bringing the camera up to my eye or just roughing in the framing so its not big deal, just a habit you have to learn to get into. given how cheap tape is, no reason not to.

what every one is complaining about is that during single long takes, FCP is breaking shots up. thats teh real problem. I've got 20-30 minute long takes from interviews and FCP has been messing up, in 30P. I'm finding its CPU dependent - slow machines have problems.

Steve Oakley
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Steve,

I won’t argue with you that one should keep the camera rolling when shooting a sporting event, but my daughter is only 7 and she plays on a “Mite team”. They take longer getting everyone into position then they actually play the game! Which is the primary reason for starting and stopping. And while I did pre-roll prior to the puck being dropped, FCP still seams to arbitrarily decide on its own what and where it wants to capture, including cutting up longer clips as you stated. Don’t get me wrong I love Apple and my JVC, but when I think of the amount of money that I spent upgrading from my not so old system to my current HD system, it drives me nuts! When you consider camera, deck, computer, software, HD monitors, etc…, you’re looking at $20k. If people bought a new car for that much money and it worked half the time, they would be pounding the doors of their dealers demanding refunds or a complete recall. I keep looking at my FCP box, “native support for virtually any format” and, “edit 24p natively” and I keep thinking that wasn’t even true at the time I bought the upgrade. Lets face it they lied and they’ve been playing catch-up ever since!

I know it’s new technology, but it just shouldn’t be this hard…and I guess that’s why I’m disappointed.

Carlos
Carlos San Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #18
Trustee

Out of curiosity,

Does the hard drive option with for the JVC camera give you 10 sec (or so) preroll recording?

I use DVRack and this does, though obviously is a bit more of a setup problem what with the computer tagging along at all.

However, by chance does the JVC hard drive give you this option? Then you could start and stop the camera and not miss anything (since you will be getting 10 seconds of recording from before you press the record button).
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #19
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
Out of curiosity,

Does the hard drive option with for the JVC camera give you 10 sec (or so) preroll recording?

I use DVRack and this does, though obviously is a bit more of a setup problem what with the computer tagging along at all.

However, by chance does the JVC hard drive give you this option? Then you could start and stop the camera and not miss anything (since you will be getting 10 seconds of recording from before you press the record button).
The DR-HD100 does have a retro-loop mode that will give you a pre-settable amount of extra pre-recorded material at the beginning of each shot.
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi!
The best you ccan get from FCP right now, is losing 1 second on the beggining and the end of each clip (much better than 7, yet...).
You can do that by changing the the pre and post roll time to 1 sec, on "device control preset" - check out the attached screen grab. It's for 720p25, bu I suppose it works for 24p too.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Successfully Capture 720p24? How?-picture-2.png  
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for the tip Sergio!
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #22
Regular Crew

You're welcome... Just sharing what I've been learning from these forums!
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite