Anyone Successfully Capture 720p24? How? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 20th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone Successfully Capture 720p24? How?

Hi,

I have been trying to get a clear answer on this. I have found on these forums that there are people like me who are having clips cut into bits and media lost when they try and capture 24p. I have tried using the AIC codec and it doesn't seem to work? Unless I am setting something up wrong.

I am using final cut 5.1.2
I am trying to capture from the JVC BR-HD50 (bought after needed firmware update so it is latest model)
Shot on JVC GY-HD110U in 720p 24fps
Using firewire 23.98 hdv to get info from deck to computer (found this setting from another thread)

Is this a problem I have to wait for Apple to fix? Or is there a fix that does not involve making a .m2t file?

Thanks,
Sharon
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I can only comment on capturing from JVC HD100, but I have had no problems capturing 24p material from the camera itself with FCP. I too am running 5.1.2.

I just used the easy setup for 24p HDV and that was that.

mg
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #3
Major Player

I've had this problem just this week with 30 fps as well so it apparently isn't limited to 24P. I have FCP set to "create new clips" with TC change but it breaks up contiguous clips repeatedly.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have turned off any abort boxes and I have turned off making clips. Still this doesn't seem to work. I have read every thread that pertaining to this problem...and I am still confused as to the fact whether or not this is my fault or something Apple has to fix. Has anyone contacted Apple?
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi,

Here is a simple check list that I copied and pasted from Carl Hicks (JVC Rep) when I asked him the same thing.

Final Cut Pro works perfectly with the GY-HD110U, as long as these things are true:

1. You are using version FCP 5.1.2

2. You are using the right "Easy Setup" . Choose the HDV720/P30 or HDV720/P24 Easy Set-up

3. The fire wire port is working on the camera and on the MAC. Firewire ports are fragile, and can be blown out if the cable is plugged in or unplugged with the camera or MAC power on, or by flipping the "DV/HDV" switch with the power on.

4. The fire wire cable is good

5. Does your MAC recognize the camera when it connected? If not, then you may have a bad firewire port on the camera or the MAC.

6. Are you pushing the button on the camera to put it into the VTR mode?

If that doesn't work, could be you're using an inferior tape.

Chris
Chris Rentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Pieczenik
I have found on these forums that there are people like me who are having clips cut into bits and media lost when they try and capture 24p.
Hi Sharon,

If this is happeneing to you you should contact JVC tech support and send them your tape so they can verify. I was not aware of this happening since the firmware upgrade last winter. My captures usually go fine.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #7
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rentzel
Hi,

Here is a simple check list that I copied and pasted from Carl Hicks (JVC Rep) when I asked him the same thing.

Final Cut Pro works perfectly with the GY-HD110U, as long as these things are true:

1. You are using version FCP 5.1.2

2. You are using the right "Easy Setup" . Choose the HDV720/P30 or HDV720/P24 Easy Set-up

3. The fire wire port is working on the camera and on the MAC. Firewire ports are fragile, and can be blown out if the cable is plugged in or unplugged with the camera or MAC power on, or by flipping the "DV/HDV" switch with the power on.

4. The fire wire cable is good

5. Does your MAC recognize the camera when it connected? If not, then you may have a bad firewire port on the camera or the MAC.

6. Are you pushing the button on the camera to put it into the VTR mode?

If that doesn't work, could be you're using an inferior tape.

Chris
Chris is on the right track here regarding tape. The latest FCP version will sometimes start a new clip when a tape drop-out is encountered, even a very minor one that is not noticeable to the eye. So, it's very important that you use high-quality tape, and you keep your tape transport clean. We recommend the JVC MDV63PROHD tape. Users of this tape consistantly report very reliable and clean recordings with this tape.
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
Chris is on the right track here regarding tape. The latest FCP version will sometimes start a new clip when a tape drop-out is encountered, even a very minor one that is not noticeable to the eye. So, it's very important that you use high-quality tape, and you keep your tape transport clean. We recommend the JVC MDV63PROHD tape. Users of this tape consistantly report very reliable and clean recordings with this tape.
I use those tapes and fcp still breaks each capture into multiple clips with missing gaps that have to be filled. I had one tape that was broken up into 16 different clips. I have used a veriety of methods to reduce this and I have had no luck so far.

It could still be a tape issue but in my experiences, the JVC MDV63PROHD tape does nothing to help the problem.

I think it should also be noted that these gaps rarely happen at the same spot on re capture. If these were small tape drops outs then I would expect them to appear at the same spots. That is just my assumption.

What is odd, fcp usually captures the entire clip if it was shot in sd. Because of this issue, I have been shooting all of my events in sd and custom jobs in hd. I would much rather shoot and edit everything in hd but the effort and mess of recapturing filler to join each clip is just too time consuming.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:51 AM   #9
Major Player

I was digitising recently into FCP and my refrigerator turned itself on next door in the kitchen. This generated a new clip! (either that or the computer just happened to create a new clp in the middle of the shot right at the moment the fridge turned on....). So maybe the system is incredibly sensitive to little things like changes in voltages etc. and as a safety measure always starts a new clip?
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:56 AM   #10
JVC America

Quote:

What is odd, fcp usually captures the entire clip if it was shot in sd. Because of this issue, I have been shooting all of my events in sd and custom jobs in hd. I would much rather shoot and edit everything in hd but the effort and mess of recapturing filler to join each clip is just too time consuming.
This is understandable. The video signal and time code in SD mode is entirely different than in the HDV mode. This clip breakage issue is only relevent to the HD mode. In the HDV mode, if FCP sees even a very small loss of data, it perceives this as the start of a new shot, so it forms a new clip. Apple is aware of this issue, aand they are working on a solution to make FCP less sensitive to this issue.
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:36 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
Apple is aware of this issue, aand they are working on a solution to make FCP less sensitive to this issue.
Makes sense. For "2nd Unit" we usually run full tapes in one run to capure the whole interview. It's impossible to digitize the tapes with FCP (24fps.). They break in multiple segments and we use 3 cameras, this prevents me from using FCP's muticlip feature.
I changed my workflow to use HDVSCap + MPEG Streamclip and there is no problem with that. The whole tape is ingested without loss of data or timecode breaks. Apparently it's an issue wirth FCP.
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM   #12
Major Player

Does this mean that fcp 5.1.2 cannot properly batch capture 24p hdv?
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:56 AM   #13
Major Player

I've been under the impression that digitizing analog or HDMI out of the H50U via Decklink or Kona solves this problem. I'm buidling my HD suite and have been looking hard at the Decklink Studio which boasts HDMI and component analog inputs.

Can anyone confirm that passing firewire will solve the file problem?
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:35 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva
Does this mean that fcp 5.1.2 cannot properly batch capture 24p hdv?
That's been my experience. The software does it but it breaks to a new clip every time your breath.
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #15
Regular Crew

This is real disappointing. For as long as Apple made us wait for the update you think they could have got it right. I shot my daughters hockey game on Saturday (24p) and when I went to capture it today, FCP created a new clip every time the camera was restarted (I stopped shooting when play was stopped). I wouldn’t mind so much about the segmented new clips but the fact that it cuts out the first seven seconds of each clip really blows. You lose so much of the flow of the game. JVC should really put the screws to Apple and make them fix this problem. It cut a 40 minute game into 50 clips. Divide that by 7 seconds of lost tape, I lost almost 6 minutes of the game!
Carlos San Roman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite