DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mac Mini, Intel Core Duo w/ FCP?

Does anyone know if the Mac Mini specs (listed below) would be able to handle Final Cut Pro smothly ( when editing Stander DV format)?
and editing photos using Photoshop CS?
Does anyone use a Mini for editing?
--
Mac mini
Intel Core Duo Processor 1.66GHz
512MB RAM,
80GB Hard Drive,
8X DVD+/-RW SuperDrive,
Mac OS X Tiger v10.4
--
FYI Im a PC/Windows guy and have never own a Mac but have always been very curious, and since the Mini's are afordable (and within my budget) im thinking of picking one instead of another PC. (maybe even switching completely over to Mac if it goes well) would this setup be a good starter for editing SD DV & photos?

TIA
David Aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The mini and MacBook does not meet the curren specs of FCS, as it uses the GPU for some FX processing.

Apparantly there is a way to install it anyway (even though you'll get dire warnings).

For DV, DVCPRO HD & HDV, it should work just great.

Gunleik
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Major Player

hmm.... I run final cut on a macbook ( 2Ghz, 2GB ram ) and have never seen any warnings. I also run FCP on a macpro.

photoshop cs runs great on it as well.... but cs3 will ( mid 07 ) run much better.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Wrangler

The mac mini has an integrated graphics system which uses system memory. From what I've read, this isn't a problem for FCP, but Motion won't run properly. I think this is why Apple says that it isn't compatible with FC Studio.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Major Player

For someone who is using Final Cut Express Suite, would the Mac Mini fit the bill?
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Major Player

All of the Intel Mac Minis will run FCP Studio. The G4 Mac Minis will run all of FCP Studio except for Motion. You need a minimum of 64 megs of VRAM for Motion, and even then it doesn't work very well.

I would suggest getting an iMac. They are a much better value than the Mac Mini and just about any PC as well. All but the entry level 17" 1.83GHz with integrated graphics will run FCP Studio, including Motion.

I run all but Motion on my Mac Mini G4 1.42 with a gig of ram. I've also installed a 7200rpm hard drive which helps overall system performance and recently overclocked the proc to 1.58 ghz and it's running fine. At home on the Mac Mini I edit DV with no problems. Have even done a little bit of HDV. HDV will work in a pinch but not for serious editing.

At work I use a dual 2ghz G5 with 6 gigs of ram for uncompressed SD and a Mac Pro with 7 gigs of ram for uncompressed HD.
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #7
Major Player

I never follow directions. I run Final Cut Pro, Shake, Motion, and PS all on a G4 mini.
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Alex,

How in the heck did you get Motion installed on the Mini?
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:39 AM   #9
Major Player

Ha ha, after reading a few posts, i'm begining to wonder the same thing. I guess no one told my mini.
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #10
Major Player

I am beginning the process of testing out a mac-mini a macophile friend loaned to me (Intel Mac Mini no less).

I like the minimalist form factor of the mac-mini and since I work in standard Def 16x9, What are users thoughts about the mac-mini for a production environment where the primary editing will be straight cuts and dissolves. I am working with a pair of TRV950's and am seriously considering the switch to the mac platform after reading the system specs just to run Vista (Received my licensed copy of Vista business edition in the mail yesterday).

I was thinking of maxing out the mac-mini with RAM, a 7200rpm primary drive and a couple of add on drives in external enclosures to form a raid) (any thoughts on that also?) that can stack underneath the mac-mini to maintain the small form factor.

Since I edit mainly in PPro 1.5.1 on WIndows Xp currently, the learning curve doesn't appear to be all that difficult for FC Express.

Any opinions???
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #11
Major Player

Cliff,

You will be cruzin right along on an Intel Mac Mini with DV and HDV footage. At home I use a G4 Mac Mini with a gig of ram. I put a larger 7200 rpm drive in it and it helped the system performance a bit.

At work I cut uncompressed 10 bit SD on a dual proc G5, which by the way, is slower than a coreduo Mini!

The Mini is really a sleeper. Great performance, fair price (the 24" iMac is the best bang for the buck Mac right now) , portable, and just darn cool. I have a 19" 1440x900 monitor and I can actually fit my entire setup in one of those rectangular rigid travel bags with wheels that is carry on legal for flight. I took it out to NAB with me last year as a matter of fact.
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #12
Major Player

Dave - another question - How critical is using RAID with Standard Def footage - I am not doing any multi-cam or other intensive editing effects - 99% of the editing I do is straight cuts and dissolves. I have seen the enclosures for the Mac-Mini that sit underneath the computer itself and like the fact I can take OTS 7200RPM drives or laptop drives and edit to my hearts content.

Since it is almost impossible from what I can see for the MAC-Mini to have a raid setup (unless one uses an external RAID enclosure) how much will it affect the editing process in FCE? Just testing earlier today I love what FCE does and the fact it is so snappy compared to PPro has my full attention - even Vegas 7 seems lacking in many respects - I also do a fair amount of audio scoring and composing and Soundtrack and Garageband has me acting like a kid in a toy store.

Your thoughts?
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #13
Major Player

Cliff,

A RAID is not necessary for DV footage. If you were shooting uncompressed 10 bit SD a RAID would be necessary. For DV a good FireWire drive is all you need. LaCie or G-Tech are my recommendations. Or just buy a case and make your own. Stay away from USB for your capture scratch and stick with FW.
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #14
Regular Crew

How would a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz w/ 2GB Ram perform under FCP editing SD DV and/or HD content?
Im thinking of getting this (used) instead of a new Mac mini...would this be a better choice?

TIA
David Aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar
How would a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz w/ 2GB Ram perform under FCP editing SD DV and/or HD content?
Im thinking of getting this (used) instead of a new Mac mini...would this be a better choice?

TIA
I would get a new Mac Mini. They are faster than a G5. See my post above.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite