DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does anyone edit 30F using Final Cut?

I have been searching and posting everywhere to find out if there is someone who definitively knows how to edit 30F footage in Final Cut. I have a Canon XH-A1 and am using Final Cut 5.1.2 to edit.

Please help,
Hugh
Hugh Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2
Major Player

I shoot 720P 30 with my JVC, and edit it 720P 30. So yes I do, Whats your question?

Also keep in mind I dont do anything for broadcast, this is just for DVD, I do alot of weddings, and just prefer 30 fps
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Major Player

As you found (& state) in this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=final+30F
it works great on a 1080i60 timeline. What's the question?
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Major Player

What are you guys doing? recording in 720P 30 and importing it into a 1080i60 project timeline?

Poor mans upres?
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Major Player

The Canon XHA1 records 30F on a 1080i stream. You don't have to do anything special. I don't know how it works, but I guess it records the same thing on both upper and lower fields? In any case, it's beautiful -- just use HDV 1080i60 easy setup with sony firewire interface and capture. It just works.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely
The Canon XHA1 records 30F on a 1080i stream. You don't have to do anything special. I don't know how it works, but I guess it records the same thing on both upper and lower fields? In any case, it's beautiful -- just use HDV 1080i60 easy setup with sony firewire interface and capture. It just works.
I have been trying to see if there are others, besides the two of us, on the forum editing 30F in Final Cut. I guess I was hoping some 30F guru would see the thread and post some amazing Final Cut configuration that we had not already tried. You have obviously found the correct work around and I will stop poking around. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Thanks for your quick response and sharing your method.

Hugh
Hugh Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #7
Major Player

All's good. It's one of the few things about final cut and video that are Mac-like -- it just works! I was just stepping frame-by-frame through a downsized Quicktime .mov of some fast action I had shot recently at 30F. It's very nice. No wee ghosties or double vision.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite