Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 17th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

color correcting dark exposure

Hi,

We're trying to color correct shots that are back lit - i.e. subject's face is dark against bright outdoor background. Any tips on how to bring out the subject's face without excessive artefacts?

Thanks.
Zareh Tjeknavorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Depends on how heavily back lit the piece is...as far as technique goes, you could use the image itself as an alpha mask, then correct the background darker and the foreground slightly lighter and hope that the lowering of the contrast of the image will help the eye itself pull out more light and detail from the dark face.
Old February 17th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Major Player

try duplicating the image on a higher track, then right clicking the higher track and change Composite Mode to Add ... use a Garbage Matte or Mask Shape combined with the Opacity of the clip on the higher track to limit the area of the effect

you might also like Marcus Herrick's Facelight plugin that you can grab for free here: http://www.haiku.com.au/2005/08/fina...-plug-ins.html

and search around ... i'm sure i saw a tutorial on exactly this topic floating about the other day
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Andy, Cole,

Many thanks to you both for finding the time to write. I'm going to try these options - and the download - and will share my results.

Zareh
Zareh Tjeknavorian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite