DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 5th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sapphire--Worth the Price?

As I learn my way around FCP completing projects, I realize I miss some of the plug-ins from my old editor. I bought Magic Bullet since I'm already familiar with it and I Googled for others but didn't see anything too good (and I don't like Boris). I did some freelancing at a place that ran Sapphire and I loved it. I downloaded the demo and I still love it. But the $1699 price tag is a hard thing to justify, at least for my normal work and average clients. When the plug-in costs more the NLE I get a bit gun shy.

Do any of you here use Sapphire? Do they (GenArts) ever run specials or upgrade pricing? I know you can buy each of the four module "Boxes" separately for $599 each, but no one box has all of the effects I'd want.

Any thoughts? I realize you have to pay to play and I see stuff on TV all the time that was done with Sapphire. Any similar higher end sort of plug-ins?

Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Jeff Krepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello,

I don't believe there's anything out there exactly like Sapphire. But, you can look into the Noise Industries ( http://www.noiseindustries.com) plug-ins that are built to support FCP's FX Plug architecture. They call their product the FX Factory and it has a number of good features that may match up a lot of effects that you see with Sapphire. Again, it doesn't match the Sapphire package plug-in for plug-in, but it has many similar effects and a few new ones. Also, the FX Facotry is open for third party additions and many customizations. This means that you'll be able to save customized effects and expand the FX Factory library with new plug-ins from other third party developers. Third party developers have really helped out FCP a lot, so it'll be interesting to see how they impact the FX Factory. You'll also benefit from faster render times (because of FX Plug) over Sapphire. Not perfect, but it may be worth a try.

Good luck,
Cale
Cale Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Major Player

There are many many many other plug-ins out there. Depends what exactly you are using from Sapphire. When I used them, I used 4, maybe 5 of the plugins....that's it. Not even close to the $1700 for the set. WAY overpriced if you ask me.

Look at www.nattress.com and the Big Bag of Tricks (demo available)
CHV has some neat ones: http://www.chv-plugins.com/index1.php

Here...let me just give you the big list of FCP plugins:

http://proapptips.com/tips/links.php?category=Plugins
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow! I like all of these options. I kind of agree with you Shane, I like some of the Sapphire stuff but not enough to warrent the $1700 entrance fee. Thanks for the list of plugins, should be a sticky.

Cale, Noise Industries might offer enough of the effects to do the trick.

Thanks.
jeff
Jeff Krepner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite