FCP 5.1.4 capture - bizarre "-v" extension files!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Tourist

FCP 5.1.4 capture - bizarre "-v" extension files!!

I hope someone can help me in figuring this out. I have tried different support sites and troubleshooting guides, but there is no information about it anywhere. So, this is what's going on:

After capturing various material (SD, HDV) from different sources (JVC deck, Sony miniDV camera, etc.), I started noticing that my FCP Capture Scratch folder contains clips I logged plus strange additional clips with the same name and "-v" symbol at the end. For example, I logged and captured a file named "Outdoor CU" and then realized that Capture Scratch folder includes the expected "Outdoor CU" (which opens and plays fine in Quicktime), but also two other bizarre files named "Outdoor CU-v" and "Outdoor CU-v1", both of which don't open in Quicktime. In some instances there are several "-v" files, with extensions -v 1, -v 2, -v 3, etc. This takes up quite a bit of disk space, as the first of those bizarre files ("-v") is always equal in size to the original clip. If I try deleting them, the original clip doesn't work properly in my FCP timeline (it's either missing audio or doesn't play at all).
Again, this happens with any footage (SD, DVCPRO HD, HDV, etc.). Any idea what's going on here??
Alan Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Alan,
What type of drive are you capturing to? If it's a drive other than your system drive it may not be formatted correctly for Mac and because of that there could be a limit on filesize, which would result in your clips being split up like that. If its not too late your drive should be formatted OS EXTENDED Journaling OFF... again not your system drive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite