DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 28th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #16
Contributor

24p

are you using the 23.98 setting in CT? or 24 flat? it should be 23.98, just checking
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The footage looks great after reverse tele, but will not play in a 1080/24p timeline without render. It will play in a sequence set to AIC, but then the 24 f stuff won't play.
R
Ryan Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #18
Contributor

24p

is your a1's footage HDV? or AIC? sounds like it might be HDV, if so then you have to transcode one into the other if you want to edit with out render bars.
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #19
Regular Crew

When you say transcode, do you mean "render"?
I was just wanting a way to avoid the render step if I could, like doing the change when Cinema Tools reverses the HV20 footage.
Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Meyers View Post
i believe it's a canon issue. until cinema tools can guess the cadence like after effects you'll have to do it by hand.
Are you saying that Cinema Tools will soon support capturing 24p from the HV20?

Thanks!
Leila Alkadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:49 PM   #21
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila Alkadi View Post
Are you saying that Cinema Tools will soon support capturing 24p from the HV20?

Thanks!
just hoping... the rumors are saying there is about to be a major revamp to FCS, and i wouldn't be suprised if there is a whole new gamut of things we'll be able to do the HDV in general. as others have said, and for what i know, the 24p in 60i that the hv20 uses doesn't have flags, at least doesn't have them like the older dv cams, which is what cinema tools used to remove the pulldown. it could be apple just needs to add support for the hv20's flags, or it doesn't have any, which might could be fixed with a firmware update to the cam itself... we can only hope an easier way is coming down the pipe.
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #22
New Boot

Thanks for the Cinema Tools settings, Austin. They work great for a single clip but not for batches since there is no 'Fields' setting. I've tried it and the interlacing still shows up. Any idea how to get this to work for batches?
Adam McGilvray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #23
New Boot

Batch 24p Pulldown with Cinema Tools

I believe that if you make sure all of your clips begin and end as pppii (you can cut off the few necessary frames quickly with quicktime).

Then select DD as the the pattern with all of the other settings mentioned on this thread. Then you may be able to do batch processing.

Disclaimer: I haven't been able to test this in batch yet, only for single clips.
Kurt Madel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #24
New Boot

Based on Austin's settings I actually used _CD_ for single clips and it works perfectly. However for a batch, you don't have the field option to select it. I don't know if its reverting to some other field setting and it might be possible to start with a different frame order than pppii.
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #25
Regular Crew

First off... I am VERY new to FCP and NLE in general. I have an HV20 and FCP 5.1.4

I posted this in an apple discussion forum with little response, so I thought I would try here.

Quote:
Can someone "in the know" please verify that my workflow makes sense...? and that I am not just "faking" things.

Just to reiterate what I had in the above post...

Here is what I did:

1. Captured video into a 1080i/60 Sequence setting my my quicktime video settings to "Apple Intermediate Codec".

Note: this made me render in the timeline

2. I then export as a self-contained quicktime movie

3. I open the clip in Cinema Tools

4. Only change the fields to _CD_

5. Save off a .rev

6. Open in QT and export as H.264 1920x1080 23.98

Here is a sample clip: http://www.sacreativeservices.com/fo...f/rev_tele.mp4

So, just for my own sanity check... is this workflow how I "should" be doing it? Is the result "really" 1080p 24, or could quicktime be fooled into thinking this.
Well, I'm not doing something right because I just captured another clip and stepped through the same process and it did not remove the pulldown.

I think this is a cadence issue? where cinema tools needs some more info. Unfortunately, I don't know what it wants?

What does pppii mean exactly and how can I verify/change this in FCP?

My head is spinning with this stuff. I'm just looking for a simple workflow from tape to 1080p 24

Also, I notice that even if I switch the camera to "24p" mode, it still captures at 1080i/60 29.97. I realize this is the HDV format, but my question is... if I am going to remove the pulldown, do I have to still shoot in 24p mode? Is it putting additional information on the tape in 24p mode?

Thanks in advance,

SA
Scott Aubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #26
New Boot

I'm hardly an expert but here goes...

Depending on your machine you should be able to capture straight to AIC, although the caputure mechanism is very rudimentary. However, capturing in HDV and exporting to AIC should give you the same quality and give you more batch capture control.

The trick to CinemaTools and the _CD_ setting is to make sure you video clip begins with three progressive frames. Open the clip in Quicktime. Step through it frame by frame and identify two consecutive interlaced fields. (usually pretty easy to tell). Then step back from the first i field three steps to get to the first progressive frame (this is the pppii frame order)
Hit 'o' then Apple-X and save the Quicktime file. Then CinemaTools should give you pristine 24p.
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Cool, thanks!

I tried your suggestion, I was able to see the three "p" frames and the two "i" frames. But it still did not work with _CD_

I used DD as Kurt mentioned and it appeared to work.

SA
Scott Aubuchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #28
New Boot

Interesting. I tried my clip both ways CD and DD and both seem to work for me.

I just set up a batch reverse telecine with clips starting at different point in the pppii sequence. I got a successful conversion if you start the clip with the second 'p' frame.

(start of tape)ppiipppiipppii...

In Cinema Tools, go to File--Batch Reverse Telecine...
Select one file in a folder of clips (all clips must start with the same frame cadence)
Set files captures as F1-F2, Conform to 23.98 and select standard upper/lower

Last edited by Adam McGilvray; April 6th, 2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Additional test
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #29
New Boot

Adam, thanks for sharing this. Can't wait to try it with the footage I got this morning of my kids playing in the snow, in April, in Richmond, VA!

For family stuff I want to capture 24p because then I will have a frame rate that works with the AppleTV, no de-interlacing. Also, it may be easier to convert the 1080p24 footage to 720p24 footage (1280x720), rather than downrezzing 1080i60 to 960x540 at 30p.
Kurt Madel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I was really worried about the processing time for removing the pulldown and crunching for a video server and/or web.

I was actually surprised at how quick it went. Granted I was only working on a clip that was 24 seconds long.

Cinema tools took less than a minute to rev tele and it took quicktime about 3-5 mins to make a 1280x720 H.264 (8000Kbps - multipass).

BTW... I am running on a 24" iMac - 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 GB ram - pulling from a 500GB FireWire 800

One thing I have noticed is the colors looks SO much better in FCP, but they look washed after export.

Any tips???

Later,

SA

Last edited by Scott Aubuchon; April 7th, 2007 at 09:09 PM.
Scott Aubuchon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite