Magic Bullet performance on Intel Macs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Magic Bullet performance on Intel Macs

Question for users of the latest version of Magic Bullet Editors (FCP) on Intel Macs. How is the rendering speed these days? How close is it to real-time for some of the popular Look Suite presets (such as Basic)?

Will it make a difference if the Mac has an ATI or an Nvidia card? (i.e. 17/20" iMacs vs 24" iMac).

I am coming from a G4 Powerbook setup, so I just wanted to get a sense of the performance increase before upgrading. Thanks.
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gan View Post
Will it make a difference if the Mac has an ATI or an Nvidia card? (i.e. 17/20" iMacs vs 24" iMac).
Eric,

I cant speak for Macs for certain but for PCs with a supported video card Magic Bullet can have like a 2000% increase in rendering times, I kid you not.

If your main offline edit is still the SD Mini Dv yes with the proper video card you will have faster then realtime rendering and real time previewing @ best quality settings.

I use a 7950GX2 on my pentium D and SD rendering in MB Editors flies, even more so when I enable SLI, too bad I do 95% of my work in native HDV.

For more info:
http://redgiantsoftware.com/mbe2whatsnew.html
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #3
Major Player

My experience with the MB editors is that they run fast on my Mac Pro, and many of the effects run realtime. The speed of the interlaced->progressive function in MB Suite is something else though, and I wouldn't want to run a lot of footage through that (unless I had unlimited time).
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you know what specific features on the video card Magic Bullet utilizes for its "DeepColor RT" engine? I have not kept up with the hardware side of things for a while now, and I've never really looked for cutting edge graphic cards since I don't play any games.

Cheers,
Eric Gan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite