Best External, bus-powered FW400 drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 6th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best External, bus-powered FW400 drive?

I'm in the market for a solid external, bus-powered drive for doing some HD work. I've got a HV20, and to avoid the generational losses associated with HDV I'd like to work with my footage in the upcoming ProRes 422 codec. According to Apple's Whitepaper, doing 24 fps at 1080 would yield me with a datarate at about 117 mbps. I'd be willing to chop it down to 720p as I'm already shooting for SD, but I'd like to have the highest-quality archive. Doing that would bring me down to around 60 mbps.

LaCie's all-terrain disk looks promising, anybody have any other ideas?
Ryan P. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Try this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

I use the 100gb 7200rpm FW800 version to edit with FCP on a MBP. A little pricier than some other options but very fast and the case is built well.
--JL
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

LaCie Mobile

I've been using the LaCie Mobile, 80 and 160GB.
These are very reliable drives. They may not hold up as well as the rubber coated models, but under "normal" use, these have worked fine for me.
<http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10558>
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Interesting read; thanks for that link, Ryan.

The biggest caveat in my mind about the report would be those data-rate numbers. They seem to imply uni-directional dataflow - encoding or decoding video, not doing both at the same time. When it comes to actual editing activity, expect to at least double those numbers if you're using the same interface/drive for holding all your source and rendered data.

I found capturing from my HV20 to an external FW400 drive to be a bit sluggish - via FCE on my MBP. It works, but going to eSATA made a big difference; definitely look at FW800 options for staying mobile.
Andrew Plumb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite