QT Apple Codec Problem on PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #1
New Boot

QT Apple Codec Problem on PC

To my knowledge, this problem began yesterday. When trying to open several clips captured by DV Rack, using its generic QT setting (DV/DVCPRO NTSC), Quicktime inexplicably masked 75% of the image, meaning, if you were to divide the screen into quadrants, only the upper left-hand quardrant displays. When you initially double-click the file, you momentarily see the full image, then it's masked. I can save these clips in another codec (Avid DV, Meridian Compressed, H.264, or even another format, AVI, etc) and they play (display) normal. I thought DV Rack had to be the culprit. Then I opened other generic Apple DV/DVPRO NTSC QT's and they only showed upper left-hand. You can cntrl-shift-f and choose current size and QT will display the full image; you can simply save a qt ref and everything displays fine. These clips load into FCP and Avid no problem. Under Quicktime Preferences, I unchecked "Show High Quality Video When Available;" I reopened one of the clips in question and got full image, but dreadful quality. In the event it's not an issue with my video card (an ATI Radeon Xpress, but has plenty of OpenGL and other bells and whistles), I thought I'd asks some Mac users if they've encountered this issue when dealing with PC's. Also, yesterday I was using QT Pro v 7.1.3; this morning upgraded to v 7.1.6, no change in behavior. Thanks.
Harrison L. Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #2
Major Player

I've experienced this too when opening DV/DVCAM QT .mov files in QT on a PC with High Quality enabled. I have just written it off to a bug in the windows version of QT.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite