DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Ryan Brown

Audio help, please.

New member here, but avid DVXuser member, and I'm posting this on both forums for (hopefully) more suggestions.

I'm almost finished editing my current wedding, and have some major audio issue's (which I saved for last).

My shooter went directly into the mixer via XLR, and his levels look just fine. Problem is, the DJ had HIS channel up WAY too high, and all of the audio from the ceremony into my shooters DVX sounds really blown out. Don't know what the hell my shooter was thinking... he had headphone's and should've caught this...

I usually use PEAK for audio issue's, but I'm open to suggestions on this one (I've got ST pro, logic, etc)

What are my best options to get this to sound at least half-way decent??

Kind of in a pinch on this one, so, like I said, I'm open to ANY and ALL advice/suggestions.

thanks guys/gals

-brown
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ryan,

Not funny to hear. It is like blowing the exposure. You can make it more grey (weaker). But you cannot get details back in the blown out parts without faking them.

But the clipping creates a lot of higher frequency noise like 3xf0, 5xf0 etc.

That means an A tone (440 Hz) will sound like 440 + 1320 + 2200 ... Hz when it gets distorted by clipping.

If you don't have a lot of different sound with different frequencies you can try to use an EQ filter to supress the frequencies above the normal spectrum.

Perhaps it can help a bit. I used this technique on a soundtrack from a big band where the drummer suddenly got excited and punched harder than before. I applied the filter softly only where needed. But here it was a matter about only 1-3 dB too much. It fixed it quite well on his solo part.

Good luck! /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite