DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Still worth picking up an ibook G4 ?

ill try make this as brief as possible as posting from a pda

I've been a pc user for about 17 years and always intended to stay that way. however I borrowed my dads last-revision macbook (c2d 2ghz version) and I've really taken to it. I can't afford the 700 cost and I'd probably want a mbp anyway due to the ext graphics card...

however I know someone selling a 1.3ghz g4 with a gb of ram for 300.. is it worth considering? I usually run Sony Vegas on my amd64 3500+ but I know its impossible comparing clock speeds to the PPC. also will it run magic bullet as I believe the macbooks have different graphics capabilities, the normal macbook won't.

thanks!
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Of course, you know a G4 iBook is not the computer to run Vegas. Nor is any Mac but perhaps a new Intel workhorse... Still, I'd get a PC designed to run Windows as its primary OS if I wanted to stick with Vegas.

The iBook was never designed to be a video editing computer. Even in its heyday, this was a laptop designed for office or student use. It would be proficient at surfing the web, using e-mail, writing term papers, maybe even working on a spreadsheet or two. But, the heavy demands of video and graphics work would quickly highlight the machine's limitations, particularly nowadays.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Major Player

I knew rushing my post would be my downfall... I meant to say I've be running fcp studio 2 and that's what I'd like to use on a mac rather than bootcamp/parrallels an xp base.

how about a powerbook in comparison to the ibook? I know that theres no G5 models.. but might be a bit too expensive and not much cheaper than a new intel base.. but would a ppc based powerbook offer anything that a new macbook (non-pro) wouldn't?
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Major Player

The only thing a G4 Powerbook offers that a Mac Book Pro doesn't is backwards compatibility in native mode. So, if ALL of your primary software is Carbon and not Universal, and you have no plans of updating your software, then, it might be a good choice since you'll save a bit of cash.

Of course, you'll be more productive in many ways running an Intel Mac regardless, since that's where things are today.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #5
Wrangler

I have a Powerbook G4 1ghz and we have an iBook G4 which I think is 1.25ghz at work. The speed seems comparable for everyday stuff. I can't believe either of these would be a good choice for FCS 2 though. I have edited plenty of regular DV on my Powerbook using FCP 4.5, but stopped using it for video a couple years ago. The powerbook suits me OK for everyday office tasks like Excel, Word and CAD (VectorWorks) so I haven't bothered to upgrade as long as it keeps working. But I certainly wouldn't consider buying one today unless it was dirt cheap.

As far as Powerbook vs MacBook... I don't think the MacBook has any sort of expansion card slot, does it? Also the PowerBooks have PC card slots, so if you need to use a PC card for something (instead of an Express Card like the MacBook Pro's have) then that might be an argument in favor of it. And of course I think the metal powerbooks/macbook pro's have a more solid feel than the plastic ibooks/macbooks.

But if you want to use new software and edit video I'd suggest saving up a little more and getting one of the new machines.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite