NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 75 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 17th, 2002, 08:21 AM   #1111
Major Player

Talk about giving up, I waited over a month and a to get my upgrade. Thanks for the tip on the OS upgrade. Next week I will be digging into the new version. Looking forward to the speed upgrade.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2002, 02:12 PM   #1112
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Wish List for Discreet

Cleaner 6 is, indeed, a big step forward in performance. It seems to use the Unix (OS-X) environment and dual processors much better than 5. My only wish is that Discreet offered a multi-system render farm faciity similar to what Adobe's AfterEffects features. I'd bet that quite a few folks have at least two systems (ex: a PowerBook and a G4 desktop) and could take advantage of such a feature for long compressions.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2002, 03:27 PM   #1113
Major Player

I have had trouble with cleaner 6 crashing when trying to transcode mpeg2 material to DV. The processing starts, shudders, and then the application just quits. I am going to upgrade the system to 10.2.2 to see what happens, but anyone have this problem?
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2002, 03:33 PM   #1114
Warden

Yes, sudden quits and spinning beach ball are what I've experienced (and others based on what I've read on other boards). OS 10.2.2 made a big difference for me. I know it has also helped Dual Processor (last to series of G4's) owners with FCP 3 issues. Good luck.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2002, 04:46 PM   #1115
Warden

Fastest Internet Browser?

I've been using chimera http://www.mozilla.org/projects/chimera/#Download for much of my internet browsing. It was recently rated the fastest browser (MacWorld?) for Mac. It is not as full featured as Internet Explorer but it does the job nicely. Today a small script was posted on VersionTracker http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/ called ChimeraBooster 1.0 It is a small script to speed up Chimera.

WOW! Chimera is now blazingly fast. It uses HTTP pipelining. Read the comments at VersionTracker and if you have install question, I'll help.

Jeff
Old November 17th, 2002, 08:41 PM   #1116
vuduproman

Have DV Tapes, New iMac, No Camera - How do I transfer tape to Mac?

Hi. I have approx. 7 DV tapes worth of footage that I would like to transfer to my iMac (the new version). How do I transfer it without a camera? I had to sell my Canon XL1s due to financial reasons a few months ago. I do hope there is a cheap solution to this problem. Thank you in advance for any info. you can provide.
Old November 17th, 2002, 09:18 PM   #1117
New Boot

An inexpensive MiniDV cam, perhaps used, is probably the cheapest way to go unless you can find someone to borrow one from.
Tom Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2002, 09:51 PM   #1118
Major Player

You might want to look into renting a camera or deck. This would be a very inexpensive alternative.
Houston, Texas
Old November 18th, 2002, 06:07 AM   #1119
New Boot

Of course you're not going to want to leave the video on the mac once you get it transfered. (You wouldn't have enough hard drive space for 7 tapes anyway). You're going to want to edit it and send it back to tape, or to DVD, etc.
Tom Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 02:02 PM   #1120
Regular Crew

dropped frame during playback

I am trying to put my movie back on DV (and eventually on VHS.)
Occasionally, the playback stops and it gives me an error message:"One or more frames were dropped during playback." It gives several possible solutions for it:
1- lower you rcompression rate (what is that? how do I do it ?)
2- close open sequences (Which I did, they are all closed)
3-lower preference for real-time audio tracks (done. It's set on low)
4 increase speed of your system/or disk drives/ ( I have OSX, dp1000mh, 3 120 GB drives: 2 of them still have 21 gb free space and one still has 117gb free) any solutions? it is so frustrating to view it uninterrupted and want to transfer it by tonight so i can show it to my mentor and some trusted friends without interruption.
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 02:17 PM   #1121
Major Player

Which editing software are you working with?
Houston, Texas
Old November 18th, 2002, 02:34 PM   #1122
Regular Crew

oh sorry, it is FCP 3.0
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 03:53 PM   #1123
Regular Crew

iDVD Problems

When I first got my new G4 a few months back I burned a couple of DVD-R discs using iDVD. They worked flawlessly and looked great.

I've just burned three this week and the menus don't work properly and there is digital breakup all throughout the video. Some of the videos are even missing big chunks.

I previewed the whole thing before burning. The videos on the disc are all short. One is 4 min and the other two are about 2 min each.

I'm guessing I maybe got stuck with a bad batch of discs? I purchased a five pack of Apple's DVD-R discs . . . which I didn't have a problem with in the past.

Or, and I'm hoping that it's not this, could there be a problem with my superdrive? These are the first discs I've burned since performing the recent firmware upgrade on the Pioneer drive.

I have a memorex disc that I'm going to burn to see if there is any difference from the Apple discs . . . I'll keep you all posted!
Old November 18th, 2002, 04:09 PM   #1124
Warden

It could be several things at this point. Please post back full details on your software versions (FCP/QuickTimes/OS X). If your on a network turn off AppleTalk. Do an Audio Mixdown. Which drive is the Media on (117GB free or 21GB free)? What method are you using to go to tape? Print to Tape or Edit to Tape?

Jeff
Old November 18th, 2002, 04:14 PM   #1125
Warden

I'm not clear if your having problems with the Apple media or the Memorex media? Have you tried the problem disks on a different DVD player?

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite