NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 65 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 20th, 2002, 09:43 AM   #961
Regular Crew

Ill be using the video card that comes with the quicksilver power g4. Could you please elaborate on the NLE and NSTC broadcasting a bit for me?
Thanks
RYan
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2002, 11:09 AM   #962
Warden

Computer monitors and video monitors are different. They display their images different, use different phospors for color, have different resolution, use different signals etc. What you see on a computer monitor will not match the image, once it goes to tape and is displayed on a TV. Sometimes the differences are subtile, others are huge. It sometimes helps to preview your work in progress on a TV (or better yet a broadcast monitor). The differences are more noticeable with graphics (titles) and colors. Computer colors don't bleed, video will. It will take a little getting used to and making a few adjustments.

The other thing is the outputs on the included video card with your mac will not power two identical monitors without an adapter. I don't think the required adapter is included and you may need to check with the source of your monitors for help.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 03:53 PM   #963
Regular Crew

No video in Quicktime MOV file exported from FCP

One of my friends is having trouble to view the exported video in Quicktime 6.0, and I need your help.

He'd captured video from camcoder to FCP 3.0, edit it and exported it as Quicktime format. He can save sound, but cannot save the video in MOV file.

He uses Macintosh Powerbook 800, OS X 10.1, FCP 3.0 and Quicktime 6.0.

Does anyone have any clue for this problem?
Steve Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 05:09 AM   #964
Warden

What settings did your friend use for exporting? Did he change the compression, key framing etc?

Jeff
Old October 22nd, 2002, 05:27 AM   #965
Major Player

According to Apple FCP is only certified to work with QT 6.0 under OS X.2. That could be the problem right there. Also, make sure that with the new QT 6.x that he has a new pro license for the additional editing features.
"FCP and QuickTime 6
Final Cut Pro 3.0.2 has been qualified for use with QuickTime 6 included with Mac OS X v10.2. Users running earlier versions of Mac OS X should continue to use QuickTime 5.x " from www.apple.com/finalcutpro/
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 05:01 PM   #966
Regular Crew

firewire hard drives

This is a newbie question and I'm sorry if it repeats an old topic. I work at a university and am working on a large project for which I must use equipment in a lab. I'd like to store my files on a firewire hard drive for security (research interviews) and convenience. Are there specific drive parameters I should look for, or are all the current generation of firewire hard drives likely to be fast enough for this purpose? Any specific recommendations (my grant is not a big one!)

Thanks in advance,
Linc Kesler
Linc Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 07:30 PM   #967
Major Player

i like the granite digital cases then drop in a 120GB IBM deskstar and your set. depending on drive size and case you should come in under $300.
www.granitedigital.com
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 08:00 PM   #968
Warden

The Granite cases are very nice, but I would go with the Western Digital Special Edition drives with a 8MB cache. After rebates they run around $150 or less. IBM's are great drives, too. either way you'd have a nice FireWire drive.

Jeff
Old October 22nd, 2002, 09:35 PM   #969
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Linc,
Matthew and Jeff's suggestions are good ones. You also asked, "Are there specific drive parameters I should look for, or are all the current generation of firewire hard drives likely to be fast enough for this purpose?" In general, you're looking for drives with a rotational speed of 7200 rpm. You can also get by with less expensive 5400rpm drives but, honestly, so many high-capacity / modest cost 7200rpm Firewire drives have appeared during the past several months that there's little excuse to do so.

Also, just to clarify the Granite case suggestions... Such a configuration would require a two-step kit purchase. First you would purchase the Granite case which is an empty box featuring the circuitry to connect an ATA drive to your Firewire port. Then you would select the hard drive to drop into the Granite case, such as the IBM DeskStar or the Western Digital drive recommended earlier.

Just to toss in one more choice, my currrent personal favorite external Firewire drive is WiebeTech's (www.wiebetech.com) "Super DesktopGB" drive which offers 7200rpm drive capacities up to 200Gb and is *bus-powered*, meaning that they require no wall power connection (on Macs and other systems that feature 6-pin powered Firewire busses). These are pre-built units (not kits). The 120Gb unit (which I have) runs $330, about the same as the Granite configs.

Happy hunting!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 10:00 PM   #970
Regular Crew

So Ken:

That firewire drive of yours can simply plug in to your camera... so other cables needed?

How much of a drain is that on your batteries? (Or do you run AC in that kind of application)

BTW, I assume it captures timecode just like a tape, right?
Old October 22nd, 2002, 10:21 PM   #971
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

No Doug. The drive plugs into my Mac's Firewire port, not directly to the camera. My camera (actually my deck) also plugs into the Mac.

There are at least a couple of hard disk dv recorders (such as the Firestore), but that's not what I was referrring to.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 10:22 PM   #972
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ken...

I am trying to research those drives...
Old October 22nd, 2002, 10:36 PM   #973
Regular Crew

Ouch!

Just did some research...

It's going to cost a little more than I thought...

Still looks very interesting, though!
Old October 23rd, 2002, 01:47 AM   #974

Minimum requirement for editing - Buying a Mac

I want to edit videoclips and short films made in mini-DV and looking for a low budget editing solution. I am considering buying apple products mainly for Final Cut Pro.

Questions.:

1) Considering buying a Imac/800mhz/single processor with lots of ram.

Would that be a good solution for my endeavors ?

2) Can I edit while viewing two separated scenes (screens) with such a solution or do I need a Mac soluttion with a dual processor for that ?

Thanks in advance !

Alain

Note.:
I am totally new to editing.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 01:50 AM   #975
Regular Crew

You should be fine with the iMac you are considering. I used a much less powerful single processor 450mhz G4 for the longest time, with no speed issues or general troubles of any kind. I always used a TV monitor connected to the external firewire device to see how everything will look, in addition to the computer monitor where all the editing takes place.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite