NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 26th, 2002, 09:16 AM   #841
Regular Crew

I agree. Even if you can't go to 1.5 yet, at least patch it up to the latest version.

Also, this is not a hardware (i.e. burner) issue... it sounds like your Quicktime may need to be updated as this is partially what it used to provide Preview playback.
Mark Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 05:10 PM   #842
Regular Crew

thanks for the posts

"DVD Studio Pro requires an Apple-shipped internal DVD-ROM or DVD-R drive in order to use the Preview mode, or to test built projects using the Apple DVD Player application".
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just copied and pasted this quote above from Apple DVD Pro section.
Does that mean that the DVD ROM Drive has to have a disk in it in order for the "Preview" to work?
Or should I be gleaning the earlier post's tips? I've heard that there are a not a whole lot of new things in 1.5, but the bug issue could be a problem. And for that alone it could fix (1.0) a whole lot of major headaches I guess.
Bill Furner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 08:19 PM   #843
Warden

If you can answer my questions, I can answer yours. Some Macs require certain versions of the DVD player software. Some older laptops need certain hardware to playback or preview. DVD 1.0 is full of bugs. Quicktime version might also be an issue.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 08:38 PM   #844
Regular Crew

preview

I downloaded the 2.7 DVD Player that is supposed to be for a G4 with 9.2 OS. But I couldbn't bring it out to open. Maybe I am supposed to put a DVD in it to open it. I just havn't bought DVD yet to test it.
Old September 26th, 2002, 08:51 PM   #845
Warden

Can you play DVD's? If so I think you may need to reinstall the OS. You might try deleting the preference files for the DVD player and DVD SP (save copy of the extensions just in case. Your version of QT might be too new. If your using QT 6 I would guarantee it. My best advice is to upgrade to OS X and DVD SP 1.5 What G4 do you have? You might try restaring with extensions set to base (could be extension conflict).

Jeff
Old September 26th, 2002, 09:39 PM   #846
Regular Crew

Preview

I just tried a commercial movie DVD on 9.2 but I get an error message saying:
"Apply Video Player cannot find the software it needs"
I have a G4 400 meg computer with 384 ram.

I couldn't find DVD Player preferences. Did find DVD Pro 1.0 preferences though.

Thanks for the email.
Old September 26th, 2002, 11:22 PM   #847
Major Player

Yeah, I tried Q Design also and didn't like it. I looked at how some movie trailers were encoded and found that IMA 4:1 seems to work better. As for movie size before rendering, I simply have encoded enough to have a good idea of what the end result will be. I know programs like Cleaner have size previews, but I don't know of any others.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2002, 12:09 AM   #848
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Black&White Countdown

Does anyone know where I can download a copy of the old black & white 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 countdown footage (the kind that looks like a sonar with numbers on top of it)?
Old September 28th, 2002, 09:51 AM   #849
Regular Crew

now it works

I downloaded the DVD Pro 1.0 + 1.1 + 1.2 updates and added "ATI Recource Manager" in Extensions. Now the Preview works and the DVD Player works in 9.2 :)
Old September 28th, 2002, 11:01 AM   #850
Regular Crew

internal 104 DVDR Burner + G4 400 meg work in IDVD 2?

Will the Pioneer 104 work with IDVD 2, does it have to be internal. How hard is it to install? Will a mac place like Computerware install it for me.
I read a post were someone tried it and it worked on a IDVD 2 with G4 400 meg computer which is what I have. One store said that it would only work on 500 meg mac computer G4.
The burner cost only $250.00
I guess if it worked it would be compatable with DVD Studio Pro as well as IDVD 2?
Old September 29th, 2002, 07:33 PM   #851
Warden

iDVD 2 requires and internal burner. External FireWire etc will not be recognized. I think installation is a breeze, but if you've never opened a computer case before this might not be an ideal first project. The Apple site says any G4 will work with iDVD 2.

Jeff
Old September 29th, 2002, 08:36 PM   #852
Regular Crew

pioneer 104 and IDVD 2

Jeff, thanks for posting.

Sounds like the Pioneer 104 is a go. I've added ram, pci cards. Plus I have a G4 Tower, so I guess it would be simple. I just am at a loss on how to install a dvd burner, is there any instructions online that I can read. But again it sounds like I can use a G4 and the Pioneer 104 internal burner. At least I think I can get it as an internal burner.

It even sounds like it is the cheapest way to go if one is planning on buying a burner new at $250.00 :)

There seems to be an area for a burner below the dvd rom in the tower.

What do you mean "external firewire would not be regognized"? Do you mean that if I have an external "firewire" hardrive (which I do) it wouldn't recognize it?

Thanks again for posting!

tiletile
Old September 29th, 2002, 10:39 PM   #853
Wrangler

iDVD won't support external firewire DVD-R drives, but it will support the Pioneer 103 and 104 drives, even if they aren't original Apple-firmware drives. There's an install guide to CDROM form-factor devices here:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/hival52x/install.html

They also have a driive compatibility database which you can search for reports on specific drives (you'd want DVD-R drives):

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

Any computer shop that does mac support should be able to put the drive in, it's no biggie.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2002, 05:40 AM   #854
Warden

I made my own in Photoshop and used a clock wipe effect to do the transitions. I saved it and use it all the time. Actually, it's incorporated with bars, tone and black at the head of the tape.

Jeff
Old September 30th, 2002, 04:17 PM   #855
Regular Crew

hey Jeff,
Can anyone get his hands on your countdown ? I sure could use it :)
John Kaye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite