NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 27th, 2002, 11:35 AM   #91
New Boot

I can view and hear (after rendering) the imovie clips in FCP with no problem.

The problem surfaces when I hear the view the clips in either FCP or QT player. The video is fine, but the audio is garbled by the speed at which it plays.

I think I will review my settings in FCP and recapture to see if the problem goes away.
Old March 27th, 2002, 09:37 PM   #92
Trustee

Well I'm getting a G4 in the near future so it'll be my turn to hit you both with a barrage of questions, both on FCP and Macs in general. I haven't used on since the IIe and I'm sure things have changed dramatically since those days.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2002, 10:10 PM   #93
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

For a moment your name threw me for a loop. Aw, that's "afterburner" jus' dressed in his Sunday-Go-To_Meetin' duds!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2002, 10:17 PM   #94
Obstreperous Rex

Yeah, I made him do that, unfortunately... same for John (zchildress) Locke too.

;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2002, 12:03 AM   #95
Trustee

Pretty sharp huh.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2002, 06:08 AM   #96
Regular Crew

Need to convert 16x9 native to 4:3 full screen

I shot a native 16X9 video for a client to use on a wide screen plasma display at trade shows. He now also wishes to use some of the 16X9 footage on a 4:3 VHS In-service tape we are making. My question, what is the best way to convert (crop) the 16x9 footage to show up as full screen (non-letterbox) using FCP 3.

Thanks,

Richard Lubash
2K-Plus
Richard Lubash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2002, 01:40 PM   #97
Regular Crew

Well, the best way would be to use the scaling feature under the "Motion" tab, but it's not going to look very pretty! Just adjust the slider until your video takes up the entire screen.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2002, 01:51 PM   #98

Hmm.. Or, I wonder if you could export the footage in a larger size (that would fill the screen's y-axis, then import the swollen version back into FCP using a normal sized frame (720x480). That way you might be able to (a) get a better vertical enlargement and, (b) be able to pan the footage to maintain good framing.

I'd try both methods with a small clip. Either way, though, it'll be a bit of a pain.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old March 29th, 2002, 01:48 AM   #99
New Boot

digitizing xl1 into media 100

Media 100 uses a JPEG compression. DV uses a straight digital transfer as it uses DV Compression in the camera. So you would end up with two different formats of compressed video file if you digitize via firewire in FCP and then try to use it in Media 100.
Old March 29th, 2002, 12:49 PM   #100
New Boot

FCP 3 audio mixing help needed

Hi,

I'm working on a wedding with a couple video layers and about 8 tracks of audio. I'm having a real rough time getting my levels right. If i adjust any section of audio, regardless of track I have to render(mixdown) before I can play it back. In my preferences I have REAL TIME AUDIO MIXING set to 8 tracks. I don't get it. There has to be an easier way. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks,
Aren.
arenhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2002, 02:58 PM   #101

How did you capture / acquire the audio in your tracks?

Old March 29th, 2002, 03:05 PM   #102
New Boot

I just figured it out. Sorry for jumping the gun.

I simply needed to turn my Audio Playback Quality (in preferences)to 'low'. I can now adjust all of my levels, without mixing down. What a relief!

Thanks,
Aren.
arenhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2002, 11:44 AM   #103
msmithhisler

I'm just starting to get familiar with FCP so I'm not sure about importing a movie with a different aspect ratio - my guess is that FCP will want to force it into a 4:3 ratio which would be very ugly indeed.

If you have access to an effects program like Adobe After Effects or Boris Red, that would be the way to go. AE is resolution independent so you can import any size and output any size. Then you could also set keyframes to "scan and pan" the image the way they do when they convert a movie to VHS.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old March 30th, 2002, 06:23 PM   #104
Warden

Hi,

If I remember correctly FCP and iMovie use different rates of audio, as does the XL1. You can't change the audio in iMovie, but the rate can be changed in FCP. When you start a new project set the audio in preferences for the rate in iMovie. Audio can also be changes in quicktime pro by chooseing the option button. If you need additional help post back and I'll talk you through it.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2002, 07:26 PM   #105
Regular Crew

iDVD2

Hi,

I just made my first DVD with iDVD2.

(G4 Mac, FCP3)

skin tones are very pink compared with playing back the footage from a miniDV tape or VHS dupe. So the pinkish colour must have been caused by the iDVD2 compression to Mpeg2 before burning to DVDR. Fair assumption?

Does this mean iDVD is not very good at keeping faithfull to colours? Is it because it is a cheap $$ to buy program and if you want quality burnt DVDs you need to buy DVD Studio Pro?

DVD Studio Pro OS X compatible still not available.

Anyone had this problem?
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite