NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 13th, 2002, 04:20 PM   #181
Warden

There have been posts on Apples FCP discussions and I would refer you there. I seem to recall people getting dropped frames both ways. If they looped the camera through the external drive it might drop frames. If they captured to the internal drive and the system, application and media where all on the same partition it might drop frames. The newer, faster TI Powerbooks may have solved much of the dropped frame issue. It might also relate to the use or non use of the faster Oxford 911 bridge the some external firewire drives use. Check out the Apple discussions and good luck

Jeff Donald
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2002, 10:19 PM   #182
Regular Crew

Internal Hard Drives

I'm getting ready to finally purchase my G4 dp 1ghz machine and I'd like to know what type of internal hard drive I should be looking at installing for my captured/rendered video.

I've thought about just having Apple install it, but $250 seems a little steep for a hard drive and from what I've seen it looks like a fairly easy item to install myself. I need to save all the money I can for purchasing Final Cut Pro.

What should I be looking at for specs? Any brands better than others?

Thanks for your help.
Old April 15th, 2002, 10:58 PM   #183
Major Player

I added a Seagate Barracuda to my DP-1G machine. It just pops right in. The 80GB main drive that comes with the MAC is also a Seagate Barracuda. Don't have Apple (or anyone else) do it. It's about a 5 minute job, and will cost you a bunch less if you do it yourself.
Old April 16th, 2002, 06:24 AM   #184
Regular Crew

DDR Ram

Macs have yet to offer DDR RAM for the main memory. I have heard from people who use DDR memory that even with the same system specs otherwise, the computer goes much faster. I have never used DDR. Is it all it's cracked up to be? Would DDR help the Mac kick more ass? Or is SDRAM all anyone really needs?

I have been holding off on a new Mac until I can get DDR.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 06:54 PM   #185
Major Player

SDRAM memory utilizes only the rise time of the pulse -- DDR utilizes the fall time, as well. Theoretically, you've doubled the read-write rate. Those that have used it say it makes a noticeable difference. It doesn't necessarily follow, though, that the computer will be twice as fast. Lots of other things to factor in. In the new desktop MACS, I believe that video cards uses DDR ram.

I have one of the DP 1GHz models -- it kicks some pretty good booty, itself!

Last edited by Vic Owen; April 17th, 2002 at 12:06 AM.
Vic Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 09:33 PM   #186
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'd certainly 2nd Vic's remarks on both fronts. Perhaps the best way to view a computer's overall performance is by looking at the balance of all relevent components. RAM, cpu, supporting chipsets/subsystems, bus and disks need to be in harmony.

I don't believe that the currrent Mac architecture would really benefit from DDR. RIght now the current G4 family's design seems pretty well balanced for general-purpose computing.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 10:32 PM   #187
Trustee

When you consider the cost / preformance increase DDR RAM isn't really that good. Sure you get a small performance increase, but at the price you pay is isn't worth it.

The current MAC FSB speed is only 133mhz so even if you did have PC2100 DDR RAM it would still only work at 133mhz.

If Apple increase the FSB speed with the G5, then you might see a change to DDR RAM
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 11:19 PM   #188
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The Seagate drive is a good one. I use a 120Gb IBM DeskStar drive. Exactly the same drill as Vic described for the Seagate. (You'll find the basic installation instructions in your G4 manual.) I really would recommend installing the drive yourself. It really is a pretty straight-forward process.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 11:39 PM   #189
marina***

Merge with 2002 Mac threads

Could someone please advise on whether it is possible to mix miniDV and DVCAM format tapes / footage in the editing? Specifically when editing in FinalCutPro? I assume that the deck or camera needs to be able to playback either format (such as PD150). Are there any other considerations?

Thanks!
Old April 17th, 2002, 12:55 AM   #190
Regular Crew

Ok here's my recommendations. I have a DP800 G4 and use FCP 3 with my XL1s.

I got a 80gig HDD with the G4. works well but after you add programs etc it fills up fast. When you start to delete files to make space, for new project captures, you won't have a nice fresh clean HDD anumore and it will be a bit Fragmented. It is best to have a second BIG HDD to do your capturing with and a smaller HDD to keep your programs and operating systems on.

I have a second HDD 120gig IMB Deskstar 7200RPM nice and big and fast to stop the risk of dropped frames when playing back edited stuff in FCP.

My Mac shop installed it for free while I waited and it only took about 5 minutes so i let them do it. but i think there is instructions in the Mac manual on how to do it yourself. You need to set the jumpers on the back of the HDD to your required config. I think the Mac guy said he was setting it up as a slave HDD. not absolutely sure though.

So in sumary: get 2 Hard disk drives one can be small ie 20 or 40 gig for your programs and OS and a big one for your video captures.
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2002, 08:39 PM   #191
Regular Crew

Same here, IBM Deskstar 120Gb 7200 rpm with FCP 3 on a DP 1ghz, love it!

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2002, 09:08 PM   #192
Warden

Hi,

To the best of my knowlege you only have to be sure that your sequence in FCP is set up for how the DVCAM is shot and then imported. Post your question on 2-pop (http://www.2-pop.com/) or do a search on importing DVCAM there. Good luck.

Jeff Donald
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2002, 01:57 PM   #193
New Boot

moving projects and media

Hi,

I just bought myself a second hard drive finally and want to move my projects with media, exactly as they are to the new drive. What's the best way to do this without losing all my links? Thanks,
Aren.
arenhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2002, 02:08 PM   #194
Regular Crew

Well keep 'em in the same folder. Say you have one folder on your desktop foll of MOV files. Then a few audio files that are used in the same project scattered around on the desktop. And then of course your FCP file (for example, you may be using something else) which you click on to open the project also sitting on the desktop. Create a new folder and move everything in there. Keep the MOV's in their own folder, the audio files and the FCP file outside of that folder, but inside of the new folder that you have created. On the new drive just click on the FCP file and everything will open up just fine. It'll work.

I archive all of my projects onto CD-R when I am finished so that I can go back later and play with them if I want to. Some of the smaller projects have actually been able to run off of the CD-ROM when I've done this. FCP never complains. Usually the project will need to be stored on multiple CD-R's, but then everything can just be copied back to the desktop where it once was for editing. CD-R's are so cheap nowadays that it makes more sense to archive on those instead of taking up valuable hard drive space.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2002, 04:04 AM   #195
jaburgan

DV/DVCAM issues

The differences between DV & DVCAM are minor in practical editing terms. One such issue would be locked/unlocked audio, for instance. For a useful explanation, check out:

http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite