NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 27th, 2002, 07:09 PM   #331
Warden

I've had the best luck with Apple, Pioneer and Verbatum. Apple switched suppliers earlier this year and for a short while would only burn at 1x, not 2. The last several boxes I bought burned 2x with no problem.

jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2002, 04:45 AM   #332
tha jizzer

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Redifer : What if I want full duplex digital audio going all over the place? USB's bandwidth isn't exactly stellar, especially when it has to share it with mouse, keyboard and printer functions. I will settle for zero compromises in my audio. -->>>

In that case you'll need to pick up a MAC with ProTools.

jizzer
Old June 28th, 2002, 04:51 AM   #333
tha jizzer

here's the links...

http://www.digidesign.com

where you can get "uncompromised" audio quality. If your willing to compromise a little, there's the Digi 001, a $1000 rack-mount unit that interfaces to a PCI-card located inside your computer.

Good luck!

jizzer

p.s. oh yeah...the ProTools system will set you back about $10,000 for the entry level package. Nothing else even comes close (given your high standard for audio)
Old June 29th, 2002, 07:54 PM   #334
Regular Crew

I use the Apple DVD-R and haven't had any problems.

I got two red apple DVD-R free with the G4 almost a year ago and since then I have bought Purple Apples and Blue Apples. I think the Blue Apples are the newest stock. In Australia $A55 for 5.
iDVD is good and easy but I'm gonna get DVDstudioPro soon.
I want 5.1 surround sound.
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2002, 10:58 AM   #335
Regular Crew

MAC and USB audio

In reply to USB for audio; the MAC G4's (including the Cube) have two USB controllers, one can be dedicated to audio only giving the full bank width, which is CD standard at 16/44.1, and can even handle 24/48. To go higher, a sound card (with DA/AD converters in an external box) or firewire sys like the MOTUs. Sounddesigns has a box for under $500.00 the USB Pre 2.0 that will give two pro-quality mic inputs for post, two bal/unbal line ins and spdif in and out, along with tape out. Sample rate is upto 24/48, but only 16/48 if going through sound manager. Check it out. Al.
Old July 11th, 2002, 11:07 PM   #336
Regular Crew

The USB pre is a "Sounddevices" product, not sounddesigns, my error; also Degidesigns has their new "M" Box out, which would work also, but is not designed for portable use & Glyph has a rugged firewire hard drive avail that matches the M Box. al.
Old July 12th, 2002, 08:11 AM   #337
Regular Crew

Re: iPod for capture/storage

While it is possible, it doesn't appear practical t me. Devices like my Wiebetech drive are similar in size (slightly bigger), 4 times the capacity and a lower cost.

Don't pay for the MP3 driver and audio out if you are going to use it as a storage device.

Just my .02
Old July 12th, 2002, 10:02 AM   #338
Regular Crew

Jeff is right, the I-Pod would make an expensive storage drive, you should look and some of the new 2.5" firewire mini drives that are coming out. Also Toshiba makes PMCIA card hard drives that go up to 10 gig (same dirve as I-Pod). But, remember, theses dirves are not as fast as 3.5" (they usually run at 5400 rpm, vs 7200 which is best for video.) al.
Old July 12th, 2002, 11:57 AM   #339
Wrangler

CD tracks in FCP 3.0

I have had some trouble importing CD tracks directly into FCP 3.0 using the same method as I did with 2.0. Because of differences in the sampling rate, the tracks play erratically until I do a mixdown. The method I have been using in the meantime is pretty clunky but it works:

Import the track from the CD.
Export it as an AIFF file at 48 khz.
Re-importing that file.

Is there something simpler I could be doing?
Old July 12th, 2002, 03:17 PM   #340
Major Player

Re: Anyone using Boris Red?

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Frick : I just upgraded on my media100 from grafitti 1.0 to boris red 2.1 and every title I had in my system is now way out of whack. Any suggestions on how to open grafitti once I have installed red? -->>>

I was wondering the samething myself. The application seems excellent (except for the price). Before I go and drop the cash on it, I would sure like to hear some opinions on it.

Paul
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2002, 03:31 PM   #341
Major Player

MUST HAVE - NLE DV Software for the Mac

Ok, my new G4 is on order and will be here in 10 days (bummed about the wait). The only thing that I have ordered with it is the following:

- Final Cut Pro 3
- DVD Studio Pro

What else will we need for cool VFX, titles, and web streaming? I am considering the following:

- Boris Red
- Commotion
- Cleaner

Would this be a good trio of apps? If not what would you suggest? Thanks in advance for your input.

Paul
Old July 12th, 2002, 03:38 PM   #342
Major Player

Minidisc and the Mac

What is the best way to transfer audio from a MiniDisc to a Mac G4? Is there a firewire connection or possible a board that I should consider?

Thanks,

Paul
Old July 12th, 2002, 04:24 PM   #343
Warden

What type of out puts does the MD have? If USB an OK solution is iMic by Griffin http://griffintechnology.com/ It adds a little noise in my opinion, but it is very modestly priced. You can also transfer to DV and then inport through the firewire. A media converter, like Dazzle's Hollywood Bridge converts analog to Firewire and Firewire to analog with good results. Higher end solutions are available from Degidesigns http://www.digidesign.com/ and MUTO http://www.motu.com/

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2002, 04:45 PM   #344
Major Player

i have yet to order these plugins myself but i any boris product will work well within FCP and ive messed around a little with the commotion that came with FCP2 and its a really good compositing tool but im sure the full version can do much more.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2002, 05:00 PM   #345
Warden

Wow! Some pretty heavy software. Boris Red does not support OS X yet. There may be an upgrade path for FCP users so check out their site. It may save you some bucks. Cleaner is an excellant software based MPEG encoder. Better than Quicktime, but much slower. Commotion is not my favorite, because i don't know it and don't use it much. I prefer After Effects, it's somewhat similar to Commotion as are parts of Boris Red. I would combine Boris Red with AE for a more rounded video package. Commotion has some strong followers here, so i hope they will chime in.

Other software I use for video include, Echo Fire and Color Finesse http://www.synthetic-ap.com/ Automatic Duck http://www.automaticduck.com/products/index.html (Hey, I don't name 'um, just use 'um). There are a couple more i use now and then that just don't come to mind.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite