NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 29th, 2002, 07:49 PM   #421
Regular Crew

By the way, the XL1 does not have a 24fps Frame Mode. I wish it did. It instead has a 30fps Frame Mode for NTSC, and 25fps Frame Mode for PAL, and nobody seems to care about SECAM.

I posted this before, but I think it got deleted when the forum crashed awhile back.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2002, 09:43 PM   #422
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Amazon Discounts Jaguar Update

Amazon.com is offering a deeply discounted price ($79) on the upcoming OS 10.5 (Jaguar) update. (Note that this discount comes in the form of a $50 post-sale rebate.)

For more information go to:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006F7S2

(Looks like they'll become the pressure relief valve for the massive complaints that Apple has received concerning no upgrade pricing on the upgrade.)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2002, 11:31 PM   #423
Regular Crew

Wow. $50 off of an OS that hasn't even been conceived yet! 10.5 is still a long ways away. I'll have to settle for 10.2. (I know that's what you meant). But I don't think I'll purchase the standalone OS. I'll just wait until I buy a new Mac and it comes with it. Then maybe I'll install it on my current Mac as well, but I have a feeling it'll just live in OS 9.

Can OS 9 and OS X share files between eachother?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2002, 11:39 PM   #424

Mea culpa. Indeed, I meant OS 10.2, not 10.5.

Yes, there's no file conversion involved in converting from OS 9 to OS 10. There is, however, a behind-the-scenes file system conversion to add the Unix attributes to files and folders.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old July 30th, 2002, 05:24 AM   #425
Major Player

I do use it and it is just as simple, you tell it to burn and it does it well..
But toast probably has more options .. although i dont know wich. Anyway i completed the project and had cleaner made an mpg1 version. So far the client is satisfied and now it will be duplicated for promotion and distribution.
Thanks for your help
David
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 02:41 PM   #426
lbmaestro

File too large for DVD... but not too long?

Hey all!
Using FCP, I have a project that turned out to be 2 hours and 20 minutes long. In order to fit it on DVD (using iDVD), I cut the footage in half and figured I'd put the first half on 1 DVD and burn the 2 half on another.

Low and behold... the first half- NO problem. The 2nd half (1 hour 10 minutes) will not be accepted by iDVD. Says the file will not fit.

I tried re-rendering, and I tried saving as self contained movie. Still no luck. Could it be the file size has nothing to do with DV video length? I thought anything under 2 hours should fit on a DVD.

(The guys in the new APPLE store in Long Island, NY told me it should fit.
BUT IT DOESN'T.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Linwood
LBMAESTRO@yahoo.com
Old July 30th, 2002, 05:29 PM   #427
Warden

The problem is with iDVD. It doesn't have much flexibility. The bit rate is fixed, if memory serves me correct. But hey, it's free. The bit rate determines the amount of compresson applied to the FCP file. You may be able to apply some additional comression by importing and exporting through QuickTime. DVD SP is much more flexible, but you'd expect that for $999. There may be some iDVD users here, but if not search Apples iDVD discussion area or post a question.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2002, 10:34 PM   #428
Regular Crew

iDVD 2 can burn projects up to 90 minutes long. I've already turned off the G4, so can't look up the option, but there is, somewhere, a setting to lower the bitrate and up the time you can save to the dvd.
If you have iDVD v1, then you are limited to one hour.
Michael Westphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2002, 04:26 PM   #429

Well, so much for that!

Today amazon.com pulled this offer due to "heavier than expected demand". My bet is that the "demand" was an angry call from Mr. Jobs to Mr. Bezos.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/01.amazon.php

Old August 1st, 2002, 04:39 PM   #430

iDVD User Here

You are correct. iDVD normally burns 60 mins of material to a disc. If you give it 61-90 mins it will alter the compression (bit rate) to make it fit (at some expense to the quality). But it will not burn 2hrs onto the disc. Also note that DVD "General" discs (the type normally for sale to the public) are more limited than the "Authoring" discs used for theatrical release. Why? To ensure that people can't brew their own theatrical releases, of course.

As has been noted earlier DVD Studio Pro is much more flexible in terms of compression and nearly every other aspect of disc authoring. But it's also considerably more complex, exposing details of the DVD build process that iDVD politely shields from users.

Bottom line: 2hrs+ No Go with iDVD.

Old August 2nd, 2002, 07:31 AM   #431
Regular Crew

Importing and Exporting FCP to After Effects

I can't seem to get my After Effects movies to look decent in FCP.
My original capture to FCP is "DV-NTSC". I export the clip I want using same codec and import into AE. When I render my movie and import back to FCP it looks terrible. I've tried several different options (Field Render, upper 1st, lower 1st) and just can't seem to figure it out.
I am working on FCP 1.2.5 and AE 4.1
Also, all movies are 720x480 and 30fps

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Kev
Kevin McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2002, 10:46 AM   #432
ChorizoSmells

How does the footage look when you put it back into FCP? What is bad about it? Exporting out of FCP is okay, its just when you export out of AE that the footage looks bad back in FCP?

Tell us the exact settings you use to export it out of FCP and the ones for exporting out of AE. I'm sure it's just a setting you have wrong, when we know what you did exactly, someone can tell you what's up.

One thing I noticed is your settings should be set at 29.97 fps, you will get out of sync video using the 30fps. render it again using the 29.97fps and see what happens.
Old August 2nd, 2002, 12:04 PM   #433
Regular Crew

The footage looks muddy and pixelated. It looks like a VERY low Avid resolution.
It seems to export out of FCP OK. Only after the render and export from AE and re-import to FCP does it get ugly.

capture to FCP:
QT movie
DV-NTSC compressor
Best Quality
29.97 fps
size - 720x480

Export from FCP:
QT movie
DV-NTSC compressor
Best Quality
29.97 fps
size - 720x480

Render in AE:

Quality - Best
Resolution - Best
Size - 720x480
Field Render - upper 1st (have also tried lower 1st)
Frame rate - 29.97

Export AE:

QT movie
DV NTSC compressor
Spatial quality - high (100)
Channels - RGB
color - premultiplied
fps - 29.97
Size - 720x480

I hope that's enough info

Thanks again

Kev
Kevin McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2002, 12:16 PM   #434
ChorizoSmells

kev,
when a friend and I worked on a video, he had me export the video out of FCP as an animation compression, and export out of AE the same way, he rotoscoped the video and I asked why animation, he said it drew each frame separately and gave a better quality. try that setting on a short 15 sec clip and see if it helps.

also check out this AE forum: http://www.wwug.com/forums/adobe_after-effects/index.htm

when my friend had a question, this is where he went for AE answers. hope this helps.
Old August 2nd, 2002, 12:39 PM   #435
Regular Crew

Many folks do not seem to know that Apple offers an "Online Subscription" for developers. For $199 a year you get a pack of CDs every month and 4 DVDs a year with the most current OS in every language. It's how I stay up to date.
(Full disclosure: You don't have to BE a developer. There's nothing to prove other than to register with Apple and provide a valid credit card. AND not every month is new OS CD. Most months it's just reference materials and SDKs (software development kits).)
Michael Westphal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite