NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 13th, 2002, 07:32 PM   #571
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : I wouldn't call the Intel processor switch a rumor, it's a theory of one possible course of action for Apple http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/07.coursey.php It would certainly give Apple a marketing boost.
Jeff -->>>

Here is another view on the topic:
http://www.forbes.com/2002/08/09/0809apple.html

I do agree with Steve that Apple should have options in the future.

Dan
Daniel Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 11:10 PM   #572
Regular Crew

Old Dual 1ghz

Ok, now that Apple has just released the new G4s, I think I'm about ready to finally make my purchase. What I'd like to do is purchase one of the now discontinued original dual 1 ghz machines.

The price has dropped by $800 which would go towards my purchase of FCP. What do you all think? Is this a good way to go? Will the original dual 1gig handle FCP alright? I'm ready to buy...can't wait!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old August 13th, 2002, 11:38 PM   #573
Major Player

I've been using one since they first came out. They scream. For example, a 2 minute rolling credit clip that took around 2 hours to render with Edit DV on a B&W G3 takes around 4 minutes on the DP G4 with FCP-3.
Old August 13th, 2002, 11:45 PM   #574
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I second Vic's motion. Vic and I have nearly the same setups. The dual 1Ghz Mac is absolutely the sweet-spot. (Although it is not yet discontinued.) In fact the superceded model of most computers generally represents the sweet-spot for purchase value.

Will it handle FCP3? Hah, it will manhandle it and still have muscle to render an After Effects clip in the background (no kidding).

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 11:52 PM   #575
Major Player

In addition to the excellent links mentioned, after flailing around in OS-X for a few months, I bought a copy of "OS-X - The Missing Manual" by David Pogue. Well written book, and an enjoyable read.
Old August 14th, 2002, 08:19 AM   #576
Major Player

Heres nice news for you new to the macos. Click "Help" in the top menu. Choose "Mac Help". The manual is already in the mac! AND it connects you to Apples knowledge base online.

A recent test showed that 67% of all web pages are produced on Macs so there should be a large resource base out there.

Good luck!
Old August 14th, 2002, 09:24 AM   #577
New Boot

Edit DV

Hello All,

My computer crashed, and I need to re-install Edit DV to be able to remove all my active and completed media files created with Edit DV.
They were thankfuly saved onto a second media drive.

problem is, after re-installing it, the serial number does not accept me typing in number ( even though it contains numbers ) It is a legal copy, but Digital Origin, the owners of this program have sold it a year ago, and now the new company, discreet, does not support it anymore.

Is there anyone who can crack this code, find a solution?

Or owns a MAC with edit DV installed in the Montreal area?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Sjef
Sjef Beekmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 10:44 AM   #578
Regular Crew

Re: Old Dual 1ghz

<<<-- Originally posted by L1 Video : Will the original dual 1gig handle FCP alright? I'm ready to buy...can't wait! -->>>

Chiming in, the original dual 1gig PowerMac is a fine example of multi-generation Apple technology working together. I've got mine running FCP 3 and it has been nothing but a joy to edit with. FCP 3 was made for this machine!

I suggest you also spring for an LCD monitor if you have the chance to.

Have fun with it! this PowerMac will handle anything you throw at it. I am looking forward to seeing Jaguar and QT 6 and FCP 3 working together very soon.
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:00 AM   #579
Warden

It depends on what you want to do with it. If your editing in a professional enviorment go for the latest and greatest. The old G4 dual 1GHz is fine for FCP 3, but what about FCP 4 or 5? Avid is going to push Apple very hard in the low end pro NLE area. For FCP to keep pace Apple is going to make the hardware fly. The improvements in bus speeds and memory are very significant changes. If FCP is to do multiple streams of realtime effects (no render) there can't be any bottle necks.

However, if your editing is less than cutting edge, the old dual 1GHz offers the best value and will do what it is capable of today for a long time.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:03 AM   #580
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Martin_M : Heres nice news for you new to the macos. Click "Help" in the top menu. Choose "Mac Help". The manual is already in the mac! AND it connects you to Apples knowledge base online.

A recent test showed that 67% of all web pages are produced on Macs so there should be a large resource base out there.

Good luck! -->>>

That is a pretty startling statistic! The help function has been a great aid. My biggest problem is just understanding how the OS works.

I appreciate all of the great sites everybody has mentioned. Plus the cool reference to books.

Thank you!
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:11 AM   #581
Regular Crew

FCP 4 in January

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : It depends on what you want to do with it. If your editing in a professional enviorment go for the latest and greatest. The old G4 dual 1GHz is fine for FCP 3, but what about FCP 4 or 5?
Jeff -->>>

FCP 4 will appear in January '03. The new hardware changes are significant, but I do not believe we will see major changes in the PowerMac line until the next revision. Hence for those who are considering a purchase now for pro or "prosumer" needs, the original dual 1gig offers great value.

Dan
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:15 AM   #582
Regular Crew

Hmmm...

Can you elaborate on your present setup so that I can help you further? What model G4, version OS? It'll help me pinpoint a solution.

Dan
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:25 AM   #583
Warden

Let me be a little more succinct. I think there will be features in FCP 4 that will require the new G4s. The features may not work at all on the old dual 1GHz or will work in a limited fashion.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 11:35 AM   #584
Wrangler

Cinestream (EditDV) also has a user group at Discreet. The group is pretty good. Pop me an e-mail tonight and I will send you address.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 12:10 PM   #585
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Let me be a little more succinct. I think there will be features in FCP 4 that will require the new G4s. The features may not work at all on the old dual 1GHz or will work in a limited fashion.
Jeff -->>>

I agree with you, Jeff, there will most undoubtedly be features in the next FCP rev that will benefit xServe tech dual proc G4 owners and beyond. Having spent time with members of the FCP team, I am happy to say that Apple has no worries when it comes to addressing Avid's foray into DV. FCP is a pixel pusher and will take whatever you throw at it; having the latest Apple machines will only further enhance the functionality of FCP.

My opinion is that it is that the next rev of the G4 line in summer '03 is where we will truly see the speed benefits. Let's enjoy the ride as we get there!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite