DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 24th, 2002, 06:25 PM   #676
Regular Crew

Hmmmm....

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Thompson : Hello, hoping someone might be able to give me a hand. I just upgraded to 10.2 today and I cannot capture video off of a non controllable device using capture now. Anyone have any ideas?
JayT -->>>

Wow. Very interesting.....

What were you trying to capture from and how were you connected?

I just upgraded myself today and just tried a capture now off of VHS deck and experienced no problems as of yet.

We'll get to the bottom of this!
Old August 24th, 2002, 06:37 PM   #677
Regular Crew

Jaguar...What do you think?

Here's a new thread to see how members are doing with the latest and greatest upgrade to Mac OS X, JJaguar Mac OS 10.2!

Here's my story:

Last night I went to the 10:20 Jaguar party at the Cambridge Apple Store. Approx. 800+ people stood in a line which wrapped around the mall from the entrane of the store to the back of the food court. Amazing number of people, full of energy. I was imagining that everyone was to buy a copy of Jaguar!

Installed it today. Flawless upgrade on both my iBook Dual USB 500mhz and my dual 1gig FCP suite. Experienced no problems, although the install on my iBook was sslloowwwww....

Digitized PAL footage and NNTSC footage today from deck and from FireWire drive. Working in the timelines on mmy project. Opened up a couple of past projects. Rendered timelines, applied Timecode print. NO problems.

I do not expect to be interrupted in my editing workflow at this point. Sure, there may be some issues that arisse, but I feel very comfortable that Apple and the FCP team have done their work to make this latest OS upgrade a charm to use.

Floating very highg at the moment, this is truly a new level of usability for the Macintosh. My wife, a PC Network Admin/Manager, is taken by the OS and has become a "switcher." I am hoping this is a cascading effect across the base of Mac users.

Enjoy the upgrade, please share your experiences and issues!
Old August 24th, 2002, 07:29 PM   #678
New Boot

Thanks for the help.

Daniel,

I'm using a JVC SR-VS20U for bringing in VHS media via firewire. Since it's a DV deck and a SVHS deck combined I can use the Firewire port to bring in the media, I just cannot control that portion of the deck with the Firewire protocol or if you can I have not figured it out yet ;) so I use capture now. I did notice a post on Apple's support page of someone having the a similar issue but no responses to that yet. I was thinking of completely rebuilding my computer to see if that helps, but I kinda hate to do that without figuring out what the problem is first. This is the only thing I have ran into, I can do anything else in FCP, except Capture now.. Weird.. I really like the new features in 10.2, and my 733 has new life.. Wow what a difference.. Hope this helps.

Thanks again for your help.
JayT
Jay H. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2002, 07:44 PM   #679
New Boot

Now I'm really confused

Just as a test I connected up a Sony Walkman GV-D800 Digital 8 recorder, Popped in a tape did capture now, Guess what, captured media just fine..

tried the JVC, same problem, I did try different media just as a test and no difference. Hmmm,

Again, thanks for your help.

JayT
Old August 24th, 2002, 07:46 PM   #680
Regular Crew

Don't Rebuild yet...

Do me a favor and don't rebuild your Mac just yet. I do not believe that to be the issue. Rather, I believe it to be an issue pertaining to the deck in question. I'll have to ask some of my friends who use it to see if you can control the VHS portion of the deck, my feeling is that you cannot and that you do in fact have to do a Capture Now. The issue to resolve as well of course is why you are experiencing your Captue Now issues.

Allow the weekend to passs and I'll get word straight form the source (JVC).

Otherwise, others, please chime in.
Old August 24th, 2002, 09:33 PM   #681
New Boot

Ok, will do.

I cannot say thanks enough. This forum is an invaluable tool. Hope I can return the favor someday.

Jag Rocks.. I gotta tell you, I am impressed. I did not want to spend the cash for it first, but I'm glad I did.. This FCP deal will work out I'm sure.

If it's not a Mac, take it back..

See ya,

JayT
Old August 25th, 2002, 12:40 AM   #682
Regular Crew

Here in Albany, there were about 300 people in line, in a mall where everyone else was wondering why people were standing in line at 10:20pm to get into a computer store. I could here many people in line say self deprecating things about their "geekiness", and when asked by a passer-by what was the fuss, they were clearly embarrassed to have spent their Friday night in such an endeavor. We're a self conscious bunch here in the Capital. I myself, fully aware and slightly proud of my MAC propensity, entered with only the intention to pick up a copy of Jaguar, but then looked at the coupon I was handed by the friendly Appleworker and saw 10% Off Everything Till Midnight (if you buy a computer). So, while I was going to wait for the 1.25, I simply had to pull the trigger (what's .25 anyway?). Throw in a 23" Cinema Display and a Lacie 120GB ext. HD, I rolled out of there well under $6,000 (after $500 rebate). Got to bed at 4am that night, my geekiness in full throttle! Spending about every waking moment transferring stuff from my Powerbook without incident. Haven't had the time or need to run FCP yet, I'll go at it next week. Righ now, I just need some sleep.
Old August 25th, 2002, 05:38 AM   #683
Warden

I ordered mine from Apple Store on line. On line is the only way to get the education discount (I teach and my son is in the 4th grade). FedEx arrived Friday around noon and I immediatly installed Jaguar on my G4 dual 450 that I do most of my editing on. I worked most of the Friday on it, finishing up a web site in Golive 6 and worked a little in FCP yesterday. On my older G4 it seems quicker the 10.1.5 Windows open in a snappy fashion. Graphics look better and I can't use Quartz Extreme. The improvements to mail are nice and the address book are nice. Played a little in Sherlock last night and it seems OK (still probably use Watson).

I have had a few problems. Microsoft Office is broken. It quits at the loading fonts and then crashes. Excel does the same and Powerpoint does it sometimes. I've posted on several boards but no response. I've reinstalled twice, but it does exactly the same everytime. My Corel Graphics 10 suite does the same. It looks like I'll be on the phone to Microsoft on Monday. I really need Word to work.

Overall I'm very pleased and it seems to have resolved a couple of issues I was having with Quicktime 6. Overall I'm very pleased and I've noticed a nice speed improvement on my machine.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 03:25 AM   #684
Major Player

making cd/rom autoplay?

Can anybody tell me how to make a cd/rom autoplay? I dont know much of programming, is it possible that toast can do this? or will anybody who will play my video have to enable this on his or hers computer?
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 09:48 AM   #685
Regular Crew

The Canopus ADVC-100 showed up this morning. I plugged it in and it worked great! Same price too.
Another nice feature is it has a toggle switch on the top allowing one firewire cable to be in or out.

Thanks for your help Jeff.

One more question:
If I upgrade to FCP 3.0 is it backwards compatable to my projects in 1.2.5?

Thanks again
Kev
Kevin McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 10:11 AM   #686
Warden

If you have a project not finished on FCP1.2.5 still on your drives i would complete any unfinished projects before updating. Sometimes media can't be easily recognized and other frustrating problems occur after updating. I'm glad the Canopus is working well for you. I just received a Dazzle Hollywood Bridge that I'm reviewing for another site. I'm curious to see if my results will mirror yours.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 12:04 PM   #687
RED Code Chef

I can tell you howto do this for a Windows PC. But not for a
Mac. If you need to know for PC let me know.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 12:32 PM   #688
Major Player

yes rob i need to know for a pc as the film will be played mostly in pc. So if you know how..
thanks,
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 04:12 PM   #689
Regular Crew

can't hear audio/need to render digitized clips

I am running FCP 1.2.5 on an iMac w/256 RAM.

1) If I have a capture device plugged into my firewire port on the Mac, I can not hear audio through my built in speakers. Is there a setting to get around this?

2) I have a Canopus ADVC-100 converter. The clips captured through the converter need to be rendered. If I upgrade to FCP 3.0 would I still need to render?

Thanks

Kev
Kevin McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 07:13 PM   #690
Regular Crew

Jeff:

Your problems with Office X is enough to make me wait. I exchange too many Word documents and Excel spreadsheets with others to risk incompatibility. If MS advises on a fix, please let us know.

Doug

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite