DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 20th, 2002, 04:21 PM   #811
Regular Crew

FCP Users in Dallas...

As some of you may know, we are in the midst of the pre-preoduction stage of producing our digital feature film. (What HAVE I gotten myself into!!)

We have a number of very talented folks involved and the ranks continue to grow. What we really need at this point is an editor who is highly proficient at FCP, post production, etc.

If you, or anyone you know might be interested in participating in this project, direct them my way. Otherwise, I've got 8 months to figure out that beast.

Wayde Gardner
Right Field Films
Dallas, Tx

www.rightfieldfilms.com
Wayde Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2002, 01:47 PM   #812
Regular Crew

viewing full ratio on 4:3 t.v.

So how could I go about exporting my footage shot on an XL-1 from final cut to a dvd so that the FULL image is seen on a t.v.. It really frustrates me that I lose that little bit from the sides and top. Oh, and also, is that a standard amount of loss, meaning do all t.v's cut off the same amount of an image?
Chet Hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2002, 02:55 PM   #813
Warden

That's the problem. Not all TV's overscan the same amount. Why? Just differences in manufacture and materials etc. There is a spec they have to follow but it allows for a great deal of leway. But it is a level field, everyone has to deal with the same inaccuracies. You could resize all your footage and render. But I wouldn't recommend it because of the loss of quality. Not only will the render lower the quality of all your footage, the program may look funny on some TV's that follow the spec. closer. It will show borders on bright scenes.

FCP and most DVD authoring software will show guides for safe action and safe title. My best advice is to do like everyone else and follow the guides.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2002, 09:05 PM   #814
Regular Crew

Re: FCP Users in Dallas...

<<<-- Originally posted by wgardner : .......
If you, or anyone you know might be interested in participating in this project, direct them my way. Otherwise, I've got 8 months to figure out that beast.
www.rightfieldfilms.com -->>>

Wayde,

I am not sso sure this particular thread is the best place for you to post seekikng for help. I think perhaps Chris should start a jobs forum. I'll touch base with him to explore the possibilities.
Old September 21st, 2002, 09:11 PM   #815
Regular Crew

unexpected quits in FCP 3.0.2

Thanks, Jeff, for posting the news on the update for our forum members.

The update process with 10.2.1 was pretty painless, although right noww I am experiencing unexpected quits randomly with FCP 3 on my original dual gig edit suite. No problems with FCP 3 on my iBook.

I expect to identify the issue soon and will post a reply.

Anyone else having this issue?
Old September 21st, 2002, 09:14 PM   #816
Regular Crew

Time to upgrade?

As long as you are not sweating it, why not upgrade to FCP 3.0.2, Jaguar OS 10.2 and QT 6.1 (inlcuded on the upgrade cd)? All have been qualified fir use with each other by Apple.
Old September 21st, 2002, 09:20 PM   #817
Regular Crew

At this point...

At this point, only when you are going to the with encoded video can you no longer have to worry about tv/action safe areas, and utilize the whole frame, although we're not talking about full-frame, but typical boradband and dial-up frame sizes and frame rates.

If this is any consolation to you, anyone watching your DVD content on a ccomputer will enjoy the full-frame you intended them to see. But typically all content is framed for at least action safe areas, others 16:9, etc.
Old September 21st, 2002, 09:51 PM   #818
Regular Crew

Have heard only good things about Canopus...

I've heard only good things about the ADVC100 from Canonpus. Check it out at:
http://www.canopus.com/US/products/advc-100/pm_advc-100.asp

Good codec, from what I hear, but I myself have not eyt used it (nor have had the need to yet).
Old September 21st, 2002, 10:08 PM   #819
Regular Crew

Copy and Past Attributes

Try this.

1. Apply the 3 way Color Corrector filter to a video layer.
2. Apply your adjustments.
3. Once you are finished with the adjustments, do an Apple "C" on the video layer to copy the attributes of the filter.
4. Go to another viddeo layer with similar color correction issues and select it.
5. Got to EDIT in the top menu and select "Paste Attributes" from the pop up menu.
6. A dialog box appears. Check filters in the box and for this purpose, leave everything else unchecked.
7. Click ok. The video layer will then take on the attributes of the last color correction filter you adjusted.

One thing to make sure of is that for the video layers you want to paste to, that you have not already applied a same filter to the layer previous to pasting.

Lemme know how this works for you.
Old September 21st, 2002, 10:44 PM   #820
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff. I actually was given some advice from someone else before I saw reply. He told me to go into system prefs and under classic there is an "advanced" tab. Under that is a button to rebuild the desktop. I clicked that and dragged the changed icons to the desktop and that took care of it. Thanks for your advice though....I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I delve deeper into my Mac.
Old September 22nd, 2002, 04:52 AM   #821
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Peak DV VST Plug-ins

What's the deal with the VST Plug-ins for Peak DV that comes packaged with FCP 3.0? Every time I try to use one, I get an error message "This VST plug-in has not been carbonized." And when I search for carbonized versions, I get a whole lotta nuttin.
Old September 22nd, 2002, 11:30 AM   #822
Major Player

well i am thinking about the jaguar/QT6 upgrade. the FCP3 upgrade i just purchased from apple is 3.0.2 so im set there. will there be any problems installing 10.2 amd QT6 with FCP already installed?

one aother thing that i have noticed since using FCP3 with OS X is there seems to be a lot of disk activity such as the disks winding down etc. i didnt have this in OS 9 or a least i dont think so . i dont have any other apps running nor classic. is this just a product of OS X?
thanks for any more info

matt
(G4 867QS/896ram/60GB+80GB IBM deskstars)
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2002, 11:34 AM   #823
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by matthew s : well i am thinking about the jaguar/QT6 upgrade. the FCP3 upgrade i just purchased from apple is 3.0.2 so im set there. will there be any problems installing 10.2 amd QT6 with FCP already installed? -->>>

Upgrade to FCP 3.0.2 first, then install Jaguar as an update to the OS X version you presentlu have. It will by default install QT 6.1.

Wait for a bit before you update to OS 10.2.1, when the jury approves of it with FCP 3. Shouldn't take long.
Old September 22nd, 2002, 11:49 AM   #824
Major Player

Daniel - thanks for the fast reply i think i will go ahead with this.
Is QT 6.1 the pro version or do i have to send them the $30 or whatever it is?
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2002, 06:17 PM   #825
Regular Crew

Not XL-1 but it is Canon and it is Mac

My XL-1 is a favorite tool, but a little big to take diving. I have a Canon ZR-50 that I bought for personal family shooting. I got a housing for it and took it with me to Bonaire last week.

I have edited down some of the best footage in iMovie and posted it on my website. I would love to hear what some of you big time Mac editors think.

It is in the Bonaire Gallery on my site <http://digitaldiver.net>

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite