NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 54 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 17th, 2002, 09:23 PM   #796
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

If you've registered the Pro version as perscribed you should have no problems. See if QT now shows the correct version (after entering your registration) by looking at QT's "About" information. Either way, don't sweat it.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2002, 05:04 AM   #797
RED Code Chef

I saw some impressive color correction Demos with FCP 3 when I
was at IBC this weekend. Now I'm trying hard to remeber if they
did what you wanted or not, or if it was one of pinnacle's
professional products. I do know that FCP 3 has some amazingly
power color correction tools. Try to learn as much as you can with
them and I'm sure you can do a lot more than you though. I do
believe FCP 3 CC supports color masking/selecting (ie, only effect
a particular color), so that should perhaps do what you want.....

Fiddle with it!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2002, 04:39 PM   #798
Major Player

thanks ken . i did that and it still reads the same. i wont sweat it.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2002, 09:16 PM   #799
New Boot

out of town, but solved

Hey!
thanks for the reply, but I might have solved it. i was out of town and ran into a buddy who said to just try a different set of rca cables and keep an eye on the automatic switch (d to a, etc) so i did that and it works. Basically with my set up, I just need to cycle the bridge through the three different positions (d to a, pass through, a to d) and then it works fine. Thanks for the reply and if you know a way to simply this process, I'm totally open to it!

On a side note, I tried my friends sony dvmc da2 and it works flawlessly with my set up because you don't have the auto switch on the bridge, so I might go to that just for convience.
Old September 18th, 2002, 09:32 PM   #800
Warden

Apple OS X 10.2.1 is available

OS X has been updated and FCP boot up was listed as an improvement with many others. Ken, some printing improvements are listed also. It is about a 17MB download and I had no problems with the install. I downloaded it here http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2002, 10:09 PM   #801

Hey, Jeff. Downloaded and installed 10.2.1 on my Powerbook G4; all's fine so far. It fixed one minor annoyance.

Will try it out on my desktop in the morning. Oish, if only it would fix the printing on my HP G85xi I would again be a happy Mac'er. BTW, I tried Gimp-Print 4.2.1 but no luck. (It's a rather mystifying Unix printing driver/complex that loves Epson but disses most of the HP line.) Apparently version 4.2.2, also released this week, has made strides, although haven't tried it yet. One way or another I'm determined to get that brand new sucker to spit ink (intelligibly) again.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old September 19th, 2002, 10:23 AM   #802
Regular Crew

One more point of view.

I also had alot of trouble with the DV Bridge.

I called/emailed the Dazzle people when I purchased it and still haven't heard back. Going on 2 months now!

I returned it and for the same money got the Canopus ADVC-100 which is working great.

Kev
Kevin McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2002, 11:06 PM   #803
Regular Crew

OT: OSX Icon question

Hi everyone,

I know this is off-topic, but you were all so great giving me advice when I was getting ready to purchase my Mac that I thought you could help me out with this.

Last night when I was attempting to install Palm Desktop on my new Power Mac (using OS X v. 10.1.5) I was prompted to restart the computer after installing the software. When I did this the computer booted back up in OS 9. After a little confusion I was able to restart into OS X.

But, when I did this all of the icons for any apps that run under Classic/OS 9 are gone....replaced by the generic Apple application icon (the piece of paper with the ruler/paintbrush/pencil forming an A.)

Any ideas on how to get the original icons back? You all seem pretty knowledgable about OS X, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks in advance! Still saving up my cash and looking forward to the big FCP purchase later this year!
Old September 19th, 2002, 11:19 PM   #804
Wrangler

You might want to put in you MacOS X install CD, reboot to it, and run Disk Utility. (It's under a menu, I think it's called 'Disk Utility', and you want to run 'Repair'.) You can't run Disk Utility from your boot drive, but it'll run off the CD. Back in the olden days the recommendation would have been to rebuild your desktop, but now that we're living in a MacOS X world it's your best bet to fix drive issues. (It shouldn't take very long, you'll probably want to run it on all your drives.) Might be a good idea to re-verify permissions, too.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2002, 12:27 AM   #805

Follow-up

Well, 10.2.1 didn't fix my printing problems. But it turns out that HP released the updated 10.2 drivers for the Officejet G series printers this week. So all's well again in my printing plant. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Old September 20th, 2002, 09:01 AM   #806
Regular Crew

Break out boxes

What are you guys using to bring your old analog in? I got a buddy that has a bunch of old tape he wants to edit on a g-4 450 and I have never digitized analog and don't know what to look for in break out boxes.
thanks.
Chet Hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2002, 09:36 AM   #807

Chet,

You should take a look at the Dazzle's Hollywood DV Bridge. It's a sort of Swiss Army Knife for digital/analog connnections and conversions. Here's a link to it at MacConnection:

http://www.macconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=225873

Old September 20th, 2002, 10:17 AM   #808
Regular Crew

formac

how does the dazzle compare to the formac studio? this guy will be completing these tapes for customers as well. we want something with very little or no artifacting, reasonably priced of course.
Chet Hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2002, 10:22 AM   #809

I don't know.

Old September 20th, 2002, 11:34 AM   #810
Warden

There are 3 or 4 decent convertors on the market. The Dazzle Hollywood Bridge is the least expensive. The instruction book is limited and not setting it up (pressing a few buttons and running a few cables) properly gives a few people fits. The quality seems fine. The Formac Studio is a little more money, but a don't here the troubles like I do with the Dazzle. Sony has a convertor as does Canopus. Users generally have the least complaints with them but they are more expensive yet. Laird makes a high end unit I've used on occasion, but at $1700 it's out of most peoples budget.

http://www.dazzle.com/products/hw_bridge.html

http://www.lairdtelemedia.com/

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professional/webapp/home

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite