NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 16th, 2002, 09:46 PM   #946
Warden

If you repeatedly have to close out of something you may have a bad FCP preference file. To check remove the file and start FCP. It will create a new preference file. If problem goes away, then you know. If you delete the preference file you will loose all your presets, capture settings etc. So don't delete right away and write down your settings for easy restoration of your settings.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 12:16 AM   #947
Major Player

I'm using the imac and right now I'm using iMovie. I think it's great. i shot my first wedding a couple of weeks ago using my XL1-s and editting with the Mac. It came out great. the people really liked it.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 04:39 PM   #948
maddog123

can't find mpeg-2 encoder for mac

After buying Premier I discover only the PC version includes the mpeg-2 encoder for making DVD. What program can I use to get top quality encoding of my DV files?

Is DVD pro from
Apple the ONLY program for burning DVD on the mac?

I have a G4 400

thanks
robert
Old October 17th, 2002, 05:09 PM   #949
New Boot

Haven tried cleaner will have a look at it.
thanks for the help
much appreciated.
blake
Blake Barratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 05:22 PM   #950
Warden

iDVD will work with an internal DVD burner. It will not recognize an external burner. Cleaner will do MPEG 2 encoding, but its not an authoring program. Toast can burn DVD's, but it doesn't encode or author.

Jeff
Old October 17th, 2002, 05:24 PM   #951
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Discreet's Cleaner 6 supports MPEG-2 encoding. For actually burning a DVD Toast Titanium is my tool of choice even though I use DVD SP. Toast does not require re-multiplexing as DVD SP does.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 06:28 PM   #952
maddog123

OK, so I should upgrade from cleaner 5 EZ (I guess that is a light version) . I already have Toast titanium. Now I need an external DVD burner?
any sugestions?

Right now all I want to do is break a 1 hour video up into 5 or 6 clips on a dvd for ease of viewing. Eventualy I will want full authoring.
Old October 17th, 2002, 06:45 PM   #953
Major Player

I've also found simply moving the clip to a different track will often "fix" the duration problem. Happens to me all of the time too...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 09:20 PM   #954
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

If you're going to be doing frequent video work where you'll need a powerful compression and formatting tool you'd be well served to get Cleaner 6. If your Mac already has a SuperDrive you already have a burner. If not you should consider getting an internal Pioneer A04.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 10:33 PM   #955
New Boot

Partition of new dual G4

I just received a new G4 dual 1.25gig. I have been reading about partitioning drivces and seems there are many who have different recomendations. this is what I have done. Should I do differently?

system: for oxX 10.2 and 9.2.2
applications (all apps)
files
Drive 2:
render
video
video 2

I read a message that said put OSX and apps on same drive. and 9.2.2 and apps on same drive. Would this be better?

This is a clean machine so now is the time for me to start on the correct foot...
Tony Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 11:26 PM   #956
Warden

Are you doing this in preperation of using Final Cut Pro 3?

If so this is how I would do it:

Partition 1 (small): OS 9 and all OS 9 apps including FCP3

Partition 2 (large): OS X and ALL OS X apps including FCP3

Have seperate internal drive(s) for your scratch disks (media) Apple does not approve FireWire drives for FCP 3.

Be carefull because some of the software that ships on the drive may not be included on the install disks.

Jeff
Old October 18th, 2002, 06:26 AM   #957
New Boot

Could you explain in more detail the phrase:

Be carefull because some of the software that ships on the drive may not be included on the install disks.
Tony Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2002, 06:32 AM   #958
Warden

I know that on the iMacs, iDVD 2 is on the drive, but not included in the software package. iTunes usually comes with free music that is not included with the restore software. I don't know about every Mac model. But every new Mac comes with at least 90 days free Apple Care. Call the toll free number and ask if your worried.
Old October 19th, 2002, 06:32 PM   #959
Regular Crew

Monitor specs

Alright, im going with 2 19inch monitors of the same make and model. But what I want to know is there anything else I need to keep in mind. Maybe as far as some kind of pixel lines or something.
Thanks
Ryan
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2002, 10:18 PM   #960
Warden

What video card will you drive the monitors with and do they require an adapter? I wouldn't worry about the specs on the monitors. Most are more than adaquate for NLE use. They won't match NTSC video, so if your work is for broadcast you'll need a monitor to check your colors, titles etc. A TV with RCA video in will work for starters. You can add on later if your feel the need.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite