DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 19th, 2002, 09:39 AM   #391
Major Player

VHS tape with timecode for client?

I want to make for a client vhs tape with timecode so they can spot and tell me what parts they like most, with my professional equipment i use at my work its no problem because betacam, dvcpro and so on right timecode but what about dv, i know there is timecode but how do i get it on to a vhs tape? is there someone out there who has any experience with this? i use fcp 3.
thanks ,
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 10:11 AM   #392
Warden

I don't believe FCP 3 can produce window dubs. I loaned my manual out, but a quick review of the help content for FCP doesn't mention TC window dubs. I've been burning DVD's for clients and using the DVD times. If you need actual TC Sony and Panasonic make decks with TC out, over video.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 01:08 PM   #393
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply, Jeff.
I can set keyframes for position, cropping, etc. by clicking on the Motion tab and using the pen tool, but there is no parameter for adjusting the speed that way. The only way I can see to adjust the speed of a clip is using command-J and entering a percentage value in the dialog box. This will allow you change the speed of the entire clip to that value, but I would like to be able to gradually speed up and slow down the clip. Do you know if this is possible?
Old July 19th, 2002, 01:52 PM   #394
Warden

The velocity of the clips motion can be changed by dragging the velocity handle in and out. Ease in and Ease Out creates curved keyframes and are set to speed up over time. The linear command creates curved keyframes with a steady rate of speed. The key frames velocity are adjusted in the canvas. Just drag the velocity handle in or out to change the speed along the clips path. Dragging towards the selected keyframe slows it down. Dragging away from the selected keyframe slows it down.

Jeff
Old July 19th, 2002, 11:23 PM   #395
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Please pardon me...it's very late as I write and I've just returned from a really fine dinner with friends. But, if I'm correctly interpreting Rob's question, I don't think that FCP 3 provides a -direct- way to alter the speed of a just a section of a clip.

You can, of course, infinitely change the speed of motion of a clip that's -moving across the frame- by using keyframes much as Jeff suggests. But off-hand I think that to slo-mo a section of a clip within FCP you would split the clip (with the razor tool) and then set the speed of each sub-clip. Eh?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 12:31 AM   #396
ChorizoSmells

Rob, Ken is correct, to change the speed you have to splice up the clip and change the speed of each section. Keyframes affect only filters and motion.

Speaking of late, got back today at 10am, exactly 24 hours since I took off to go to Roppongi, there and back in 24 hours,(just 1 hour sleep on the ride back) and it's way past my bedtime, still too wired to sleep.

Glad you re-registered, did you check out the hocus pocus focus thread?
Old July 21st, 2002, 06:43 AM   #397
Regular Crew

ok... my computer has issues!!!!!!!!!!

I just purchased a powerbook 667 and I am trying to partition the drive and it will not let me. It gives a "cannot initialize startup disk error" message. Is it really necessary to partition the drive for FCP? and if it is can somebody PLEASE help me!!!!
Old July 21st, 2002, 08:05 AM   #398
Warden

It is recommended that you partition the disk. A non partitioned disk is one of the major causes of dropped frames. Partitioning the drive will erase everything on the drive. Everything will need to be reinstalled after partitioning. Backup everything that is on your drive that cannot be reinstalled from a disk. Find ALL your serial numbers so that software can be reinstalled. All documents, projects, links etc. that you want to save will need to be backed up.

If your still with me, boot off of the install CD. Open folder and find Disk Utility, click partion, choose partition settings, click OK. What size is your drive? I would partition it into 3 or 4 partitions depending on the size of drive, if your using external FW drive, and if your installing OS 9.x.x onto the drive.

Jeff
Old July 21st, 2002, 08:56 AM   #399
Regular Crew

Yes, Ken, that's what I was referring to. It's too bad there isn't a way to control the speed of a clip with keyframes in FCP. It seems like that would be a very sought-after feature. For what I need to do, chopping up clips with the razor tool just doesn't cut it -- no pun intended ;-). I need a way to change speed gradually over time, not just in steps.

I'll check out the Hocus Pocus Focus thread, Rik. Ostukare-sama desu.
Old July 21st, 2002, 09:13 AM   #400
Warden

Sorry, I miss read what your trying to do. But there are some plug ins that will do what you want. Joe's filters are a set of filters that are really usefull http://www.joemaller.com He has a samples you can download for free. Try the Blender and Warp for smoothing out the clips. http://www.cgm-online.com is a set of plugins, try the speed ramping. Many feel the best is http://www.revisionfx.com/rstwixtor.htm You could also use After Effects and Boris Red, but they cost.

Jeff
Old July 21st, 2002, 07:28 PM   #401
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, Jeff! Time Blender looks like it does exactly what I need.
Old July 21st, 2002, 10:31 PM   #402
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Those FCP plug-ins do look nice, don't they? Reasonably priced, too. Thanks, Jeff!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 10:33 PM   #403
Regular Crew

thanx! I have a 30gig drive I partitioned it into 3 drives.
Old July 24th, 2002, 12:11 PM   #404
New Boot

Magic Bullet

Has anyone tried Magic Bullet on FCP or AE5.5?

I'd like to know if it's worth the $995 for making DV more film like.

e
bitnaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 11:33 PM   #405
joshishido

RT MAC anyone?

Just looking for feedback on the RT MAC. I'm running FCP3, any problems? Thanks for your time, would like to hear the scoop.

Jo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite