Can't convert MP4 to AIFF - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #16
Major Player

As long as I can use your finished video files to make a show for my friend (of course I won't get paid or sell the video in any way).
I mean, just because you took your time and money to make the files, doesn't mean that I shouldn't just be able to use it as I want to!
Kind of different, as you haven't put your files up for sale... but just trying to be devil's advocate a little...
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Luker View Post
As long as I can use your finished video files to make a show for my friend (of course I won't get paid or sell the video in any way).
I mean, just because you took your time and money to make the files, doesn't mean that I shouldn't just be able to use it as I want to!
Kind of different, as you haven't put your files up for sale... but just trying to be devil's advocate a little...
I'm not sure what you're saying. Can you clarify? Remember, I bought this song off iTunes. I paid the artist (or rather the record company) for their song. I didn't rip it off... and I am using the song I paid for in a legal way. I don't get it...
Paul J Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J Carey View Post
OK David, since you insist: tell me what I am doing wrong and how I have "stolen" anything. I am doing a video as a favor for a friend. I am not charging nor using it as promotional material. I BOUGHT the song on iTunes and downloaded it legally. This is for a friend who wants to remember the first year of his child's life. It will only be used for private in-home use and will not be duplicated in any way. I am only making one copy of the video for my friend to watch at home with his wife. What am I doing that is illegal? Because I am a "professional" I cannot make a video for a friend? I am not "benefiting" from this video in any way and the artist is not out any money, since I bought the song and am not duplicating it. iTunes allows you to transfer your music to up to five machines. I just happen to be transferring to a media that also includes video. All of a sudden that is out of bounds? What if I made the video without sound and my buddy just played the song off his iTunes list while watching it? Does that make it legal? Everything I have researched leads me to believe I am fully within my rights.

I have been dealing with copyright issues for 30 years.
And can tell you flat out you are in the wrong!
The use of said music in combination with visual images, "Synchronization" is not covered by the license for said music under the U.S. copyright act.
If you wish to use said music for purposes other then specified in the licensing agreement, you must negotiate with the copyright holder of said music for a Sync license.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're saying. Can you clarify? Remember, I bought this song off iTunes. I paid the artist (or rather the record company) for their song. I didn't rip it off... and I am using the song I paid for in a legal way. I don't get it...
You cant use DRM restricted music purchased from iTunes in any of the following software.
Final Cut Studio (does notmatter what version)
iMovie
iDVD
Toast

You will have to burn a CD from iTunes, then re-rip it into the format you need.

and my opinion on the whole "copyright" argument. I dont care. If your making a montage, wedding dvd, mitzvah, etc use whatever songs you want. I would love to see the big bad record companies come after me for using Gnarls Barkley for some kids mitzvah highlights video. I am tired of DRM, I am tired of Sony and their shit, I am tired of the RIAA/ MPAA, and all of those stupid big bucks companies screwing us in the long run.

Yes I have invested in Digital Stacks, and other forms of "Copyright" free music to use, however, if some parent wants a montage with X artist, I do it.

No point in coming back and telling me about rules, regulations, fees, fines, etc. I am set in my ways and nothing anyone tells me will change my mind.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Is it possible to email the company who recorded the song? I just made a family video of my 5 siblings impersonating "Delirious". I took the audio off of their DVD, shot video 3 times thru on a Z1U, edited it on my MacBook Pro 17 in. with FCP and ran the 3 shots as a multiclip.

Because of copyrights we emailed the company(Furious Records), got a reply and said, "As long as we are using it for PRIVATE use only, not selling, or distributing it in ANY way, it was okay to use their music.

After hearing about it, they want a copy and we are sending it over to Engand to them in the next week.

This matter is an EXTREMELY touchy issue and one that is hard to judge(one that I will NOT judge). Look at how the artist would want the matter to be held.

Joseph

Did I mention I was only 16? haa ha
Joseph Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #21

I shot my best friends wedding a month ago. He had a band that played his new wifes favorite song during the wedding Dance. The song was a U2 song, the band playing it was not U2 but a cover band. When I finished the edit of wedding I mixed the audio which included the footage of the dance and the band. I had the U2 album that the song was on, and decide after 30 seconds or so to fade the live band out and the origonal U2 song in, then faded the song out. I did not get paid for this gig. It was a present for him and his new family. My best friend is an IP lawyer. The only thing he said was that the DVD brought tears to his grandmother, who couldn't make it to the wedding.

And this is how apple suggest we can use iMovie and iTunes:

Check the iTunes Music Store for ideas
Look in the iTunes Essentials section of the iTunes Music Store to find a nice variety of musical styles and genres. If you know you want a song that contains certain words, try an Advanced Search of the Music Store to see what new ideas for music you can come up with.
Drag songs directly from iTunes
Rather than accessing your music from the iLife Media Browser in iMovie, you can search your music library right in iTunes to find just the song you’re looking for, and then drag it your movie project’s timeline.

Content from:
http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/imovie/im3-3.html
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
You bought the right to listen to the track, not to use it in sync with video for someone else- two different rights that need to be paid to the copyright holder.
For those that do wedding videos, would you be OK if one of your clients ripped a copy of your final video for their family (and not pay you for a copy)?
Photogs, same with the wedding pics?
The artist who wrote the song you use holds the 'negative' to that song. If you want to use it for something other than what you are licensed to use it for, you need to pay again.
Then there's fair use...
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #23

I know people copy my wedding videos for their famlies. I sell only four dvd's per wedding package. I get paid to shoot edit and make 4 dvds what they choose to do with them is up to them.

I only use roalty free music or my own music (that of which i have created) if it is a paid job. For family and freinds I bend the rules to what they would want. They also know not to let it fly off into the YouTube ether.

I have filmed many birthdays before, and of couse the 'happy birthday" is sung. Quote from wiki:

"Warner claims that unauthorized public performances of the song are technically illegal unless royalties are paid to them. It is unknown, but speculated upon who wrote the lyrics to "Happy Birthday to You."

So am I to film and switch the audio off at the moment when the cake comes out? Common sense must prevail here. Know your rights and no what is FAIR USE. Consult the local legal aid if in doubt as to the use of copyright.
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Luker View Post
You bought the right to listen to the track, not to use it in sync with video for someone else- two different rights that need to be paid to the copyright holder.
For those that do wedding videos, would you be OK if one of your clients ripped a copy of your final video for their family (and not pay you for a copy)?
Photogs, same with the wedding pics?
The artist who wrote the song you use holds the 'negative' to that song. If you want to use it for something other than what you are licensed to use it for, you need to pay again.
Then there's fair use...
OK, I understand what you are saying now. Sounds like that is the law but it just seems like utter insanity and completely unreasonable. I'm not purposely trying to break the law and may choose differently in the future. Why would Apple put out a program like iMovie and encourage the downloading and use of
copyrighted material from iTunes?
Paul J Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:28 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Why would Apple put out a program like iMovie and encourage the downloading and use of
copyrighted material from iTunes?
Because it's not a pro app... maybe... it's supposed to be used for personal use only? Dunno.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I mean really, does anyone really convert their files from AAC to AIFF solely to listen to them? In theory if the RIAA tried to sue you, you could thus Sue Apple for providing you the way to distribute music. B/c there is no reason for them to have the AIFF conversion in iTunes. I dont know anyone who converts all their music to listen to it in AIFF format. I'm not saying its right to use someone elses music, I'm not saying its wrong.
But really, if the RIAA was as big and bad as they said they were then they would sue the software companies that do this PLUS every wedding videographer would be out of a job.
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:00 PM   #27
Regular Crew

did anyone here ever get bustd for doing waht we do? no... then end discussion
Mark Morikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM   #28
Regular Crew

(I know it's off subject but...)You can burn DVD's in such a way that the DVD's may not be copied, if you want to make sure nobody copies your content.
Joseph Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hutson View Post

(I know it's off subject but...)You can burn DVD's in such a way that the DVD's may not be copied, if you want to make sure nobody copies your content.
that question has already been asked and you know what, honestly... if they did make a copy, i wouldnt be surprised. its not hard to make copies and if they buy a copy from us, it only means they are not tech savvy at all, or they want the customized cover/dvd cover we make... and i wouldnt try to bust them for making their own copy... waste of my time.
Mark Morikawa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite