Move On2 VP6 codec from Flash 8 Video Encoder to Sorenson Squeeze? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old May 25th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Move On2 VP6 codec from Flash 8 Video Encoder to Sorenson Squeeze?

I have Flash 8 Video Encoder and Sorenson Squeeze 4.3.3. I'm compressing videos (AVIs or MOVs) to FLV for the web. I notice that both programs list the On2 VP6 codec and Sorenson Spark, and I've seen that the VP6 codec gives some pretty nice results (rendering at 400kbps, 30fps, 480x360).

Anyway, the VP6 codec included with Squeeze is a trial, evidently, as it puts up a big watermark on every rendered video. I understand you can purchase the full version of VP6 for Squeeze for ~$100.

It seems to me, though, that I already have a version of the VP6 codec, as that's what Flash 8 Video Encoder can use. Is there any way to transfer the codec/license for the codec from Flash 8 to Squeeze?

If not, then is there any way to have custom presets in the Flash Encoder? It's getting to be a hassle to have to select the preset that's closest to the end result and then change the appropriate settings -- video size, keyframes, audio quality -- for each and every video.

So, Number One, is it possible to use this VP6 codec outside of the Flash Encoder? Even if not with Squeeze, are there any other programs which can take advantage of it? And secondly, in the Flash Encoder itself, is there any room for saving my settings? Either changing their preloaded presets or making my own would be a big, big help.
Luke Arndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Over 100 views and no answer?
I too would like to know more about the VP6 codec and also about saving presets.
Todd Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Seems kind of like an obvious thing to do, doesn't it, to have user-customizable presets? I wonder why they're not in the Flash Video Encoder.

I'll make sure to report back here if I learn anything about either the VP6 codec or the presets.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

That would be great as I am only just holding off buying it.

Yeah. Presets would be a welcome.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Are you thinking of buying Flash partly for the encoder?

Honestly, I love Flash. I don't know it real well yet, but I'm having a lot of fun following tutorials and figuring out how to do things.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm looking at buying Squeeze 5 for Flash Pro.
Looks like the VP6 plug in comes with it hence the extra $100 price.

Might have to just bite the bullet :(
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

It's really kind of frustrating on two levels! One, I don't know why Flash's encoder doesn't have any sort of modifiable presets. Secondly, I don't know why (as far as I know) other programs can't use this VP6 codec that the Flash Encoder obviously has. Maybe it IS possible, though...

I really like Sorenson Squeeze, but I can't justify spending $100 extra for the codec that I already have in Flash.
Luke Arndt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video