Best Cheap Web Hosting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old August 19th, 2003, 09:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Cheap Web Hosting?

Hello guys,

I want to finally publish my website.... anyone know of a good cheap hosting company here in LA California area?
Will post some video clips of course and some graphics, etc so must be somewhat fast and must be up at least 99.9% of the time :)

--William
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have been using Tera-Bye for the past year and it has been a great service so far. The 4U plan is what I am using now, 400 megabytes of space, 20 gigabytes of bandwidth monthly, and everything else you'll need to run a solid site. It's great for running a small sort of "advertisement site" for your company, but if your expecting heavy visitation(more than 100 visitors a day) you may want to go else where. For $9.25 you can't go wrong.
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry, you might want the site.

http://www.tera-byte.com
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 01:30 AM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

southernweb.net has GREAT deals. I have so many subdomains that act (and look) like real domains for $35 a month, it's not even funny!

www.southernweb.net (and no, I don't get paid by them--I used to be on valueweb.net but they suck).

and secure your names through

www.godaddy.com

because they're great and cheap. I HATE stupid networksolutions.com!

heath
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks guys for all of your suggestions.

I'm looking for one that offers lots of space and fast servers and of course lots of traffic.

I'll check your suggestions.

--William
Old August 25th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by William Velasquez : thanks guys for all of your suggestions.

I'm looking for one that offers lots of space and fast servers and of course lots of traffic.

I'll check your suggestions.

--William -->>>

We're moving a LOT of space per month right now, esp. with video on there (just one clip for now). Check out southernweb.net because I've had no worries.

heath
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:09 PM   #7
Trustee

There are some guys here in New Zealand that I use for my stuff. They offer lots of space and lots of traffic. I'd have said they offer unlimited space but really there is noone who would literally mean that even if practically they do.

They are webdrive.co.nz and cost me about NZ$300 a year (About US$170). They are New Zealand based so I'm not sure what the link would be like for you.

Cheers
Aaron
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

dathorn.com

$13.5 for 2GB of web space and 20GB of bandwith (yes sir).

The good thing is you're not tied wit a one year contract ... montly based.

The other good thing is you have total control to act as a reseller (quota, dns ...)

I went from a bad experience with a bigger company to dathorn and so far (9 months), it's been a good experience.
Dany Nativel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Dany Nativel : dathorn.com

$13.5 for 2GB of web space and 20GB of bandwith (yes sir).

The good thing is you're not tied wit a one year contract ... montly based.

The other good thing is you have total control to act as a reseller (quota, dns ...)

I went from a bad experience with a bigger company to dathorn and so far (9 months), it's been a good experience. -->>>

Pretty nice deal. I like that I can call the owner (and everything else) over the phone and talk with him. Southern hospitality, ya know? No contract for me, either!

I got hosed on prices at valueweb.net (used to be cheap) and was paying $60 a month for three sites. Now through subdomains (that no one knows are subdomains), I have around 10 or so websites for $35 a month! I can have up to 20 I think.

heath
Old August 29th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #10
Tourist

Man, I need to "get with the times."
My website (jacksongorilla.com) is just hosted on a server that a friend of mine runs, and the speeds for video downloads are pretty terrible.
Jeremy Jenewein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

AWESOME SITE FOR HOSTING

Hey Y'all... we did a thorough search of web hosting services, read many, many reviews and went with "ICD Soft". They are AWESOME! $60 a year (yes a YEAR) and $5 one time fee to register your domain name (if you have not already).

We have worked on many hosting sites and this is by far the cheapest, easiest, most 'bang for the buck' hosting service we have used. Visit their site for details on various packages. Too many benefits to list here. We have used them for over a year and are VERY happy. Do give 'em a try...(we are in no way getting anything for this...just really, really happy customers)

"http://www.icdsoft.com"

IMO avoid "C.I.Host". If you do a search you will find LOTS of complaints about this Bedford, TX company. We used them early on because it was close to our house, theoretically better connections because we were physically close to the source. ERRGGH! Found out what a sham this company is when we had a major crash and the back ups they said they provided were mysteriously NOT available...ever. Finally spoke with an employee who gave me the ugly truth and it ain't good. Have read that a class action suit is underway against them.

ICD Soft is definitely worth your time. I cannot stress enough how happy we are with them. My husband is a "high end geek" ...understanding the details of servers, back end, UNIX and all that stuff. I'm a mid level geek somewhat well versed in "html ...eeeezzee". LOVE their interface. Very, very easy to follow. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

ARTICLES REGARDING "C.I.HOST" problems:

http://www.forumhosts.com/cihost.htm

The actual transcripts of one court case involving CIHost...it's sad and hilarious!
http://www.evolvedsites.com/cipetition.html

http://www.webhostingreviews.com/cihost.shtml

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22CI+Host+sucks%22&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.epinions.com/inet-Web_Hosting-All-C_I_Host/display_~reviews

....sadly there is plenty more where this comes from.
Roze Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 04:14 PM   #12
Major Player

MacDock.com

For those of you who are Mac people, you may want to check out MacDock.com.

You can call the owner and time, set up is quick and easy, the connection is FAST! and it starts at 19.95 a month, with no contract.

Just my 2 cents.

- AR
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video