Strange Lines Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Strange Lines Problem

see video here

The original is perfect, when I view it from the camera on a TV it is perfect, the original M2T is perfect viewed with VLC, the converted MP4 (which you can download) is perfect, but when I see it online I get these "cuts" or misaligned lines that are evident in the logo and in the amp's knobs. Also the video jumps a bit instead of a smooth track. This only occurs in the tracking shots, the static shots or even in zooms, are fine. Funny thing is, they are not always in the same place at the same time, which makes me think its a computer video problem.

Does anyone else see this problem? And if so, an someone explain to me why this annoying thing happens?
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

By the way, I shot this clip with a Sony V1e in progressive mode HDV with a shutter speed of 50. I have done some test with interlaced HDV and it still displays the problem.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Trustee

I tried playing back your video about 3 times,and I don't see any cuts or anything wrong with the logo or knobs. Looks fine to me....
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Warren! I'm glad to know its not a universal problem since you don't notice it. I am thinking it may have to do with computer performance. What's your specs? I asked a few friends to check it out and they see the artifacts, and they are running systems and laptops inferior to my desktop. I have a Core 2 Duo E6600 with a G-Force 7600 Silent video card and 2Gb ram. I also see it in my new Toshiba Laptop and in my old IBM laptop. I just hope the rest of the world sees it the way you are!

The funny thing is that I only notice it when the video is displayed inside a browser or in the editing aps. I use After Effects CS3 and Vegas Pro 8. If I watch the original video file or a rendered video in VLC it is fine, no stuttering, no disjointed lines.

Does anyone else notice any strange artifacts in the video?

Thanks again to all for your help!
Old December 24th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

no fault

Just thought I'd say it looks good here too, slight stutter on your track/ pan along they mixer but thats probably a download issue at this end. Looks and sounds good!
David Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks David, Istill can't figure out why I and a few others see this problem.

Hey, if you want, I put that video up on YouTube in HD yesterday. Here's the link YouTube - Giacomo Castellano with the Masotti X100M Modern 100W in HD Video

Thanks again!
Old December 24th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

It's excellent, really excellent Ken. Loved the little pushes in on frame too, nicely nicely done, gave you a 5 star rating! Keep it up!
David Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #8
Trustee

That clip looks really clean to me. No problems on this end. Very nice, by the way.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #9
Warden

Looks fine, even on some old G4 Macs. Have you viewed it on different monitor?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Guys, thanks so much for the input and help! Just so we're all sync'ed, we are all looking at the short video I put on Vimeo here strange lines problem on Vimeo right? I have 4 computers here that all show me these "cuts" in which for a brief second the video seems to split in small areas, and then quicly turns to normal again. It does this randomly in the clip, and not always in the same spot at the same time. Once I showed this to the client and to the musician they noticed it too. In fact, I took that tracking shot out of the final video and inserted the zoom shot instead.

And to further annoy me, the original MP4 when viewed in VLC does not do this, its only when I see it in Firefox or IE. And it always does this when I am editing the video in Vegas, but on the rendered files viewed locally in VLC its perfect. So I guess my refined question is why this only happens in Vegas and in the browsers?

By the way, I really appreciate the comments and support. I am really new to video shooting and editing and I need all the help and support I can get!

Happy Holidays to all!
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #11
Regular Crew

OK, I have been looking into this and I think what I am seeing is called "screen tearing" as described here Adventures in High Fidelity: Screen Tearing Explained Unfortunately I tried turning on V-Sync and the usual fixes but nothing really helped. Anyone ever overcome this problem? At first I thought it may be my videocamera but I rendered out a photo being panned in AE and it still persists for me, here's a link to that video Photo panned from AE on Vimeo

I am now afraid to do tracking shots for my clients! Is this something that no one notices until someone makes it noticed? (If so, sorry!) Or maybe its not so objectionable to those who watch the videos. As a novice videomaker, it really bothers me now as tracking shots really make for great video!

And an ongoing thanks to all who have helped and will help me and the best wishes for a great and prosperous 2009!!!!!!!
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Ken, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's there and unbearable to me. Do I see this routinely on the web? Sure. Do I hate it? Yup.
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Oh well, I guess I can't have perfection in an imperfect world. After a week of looking into this problem, I have resigned to the fact that web video delivery is still in its infancy and I, and my clients, must tolerate the occasional imperfection. My current resolution to this screen tear problem is this:

-No fast pans with shots having strong vertical lines in them
-No pans in high contract shots (like the ones I used as examples)
-Make the content so damned compelling that no one would notice the occasional tear

Thanks again to all!
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video