Flash encode settings for the web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 28th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Flash encode settings for the web

I'm moving over from .wmv files to Flash for my web video's. When encoding the .avi to Flash, do I need to:

1: Deinterlace the footage
2: Resize the clip to fit the player window or does it do this automatically?
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

1. Yes, by all means (unless the encoder is smart enough to do that without being instructed).
2. It depends, some players do, some don't. Generally you're better off resizing, so the player doesn't have to do it - this way YOU have the full control over quality.
Old December 30th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You can also encode right to H.264 MP4 and just change the file extension from .mp4 to .flv. From version 9 on the Flash player supports MP4 and most seem to prefer it over Flash Video now.

As for interlaced, whenever I convert interlaced footage to MP4 it seems to automatically deinterlace the footage. I almost always shoot in 25P if I know the final destination will be on the web because I get slightly sharper video this way.
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video