Alternatives to Adobe Media Encoder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old April 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Alternatives to Adobe Media Encoder

I'm attempting to do a complete switch from PC to Mac. I have been using a $50 flash (flv) encoder from a company called Moyea. It would encode just about anything to .flv and also let you pick a frame to pull as the place holder on the website. They don't make a Mac version, so I need something. Any suggestions?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Are you happy with the Spark codec (the original flash video codec), or, do you need VP6?

Do you need a product that supports high-volume batch processing, or, low-volume?

Are you willing to spend significantly more than $50... say, about $300?

One very good co. is sorensonmedia.com. They make most of the professional encoders one might want - especially interesting are their product comparison charts. A good place to start. I think all their products are cross-platform. Squeeze Flash, and Squeeze Flash Pro.

telestream.net makes a good mac encoder too - Episode.

on2.com, creators of the Flash VP6 codec, have a range of products that encode to it, starting with with a $40 app. On2 Flix Standard - Flash Video Encoding Software for Windows and Mac OS

There are probably some open source/shareware mac encoders that output Spark codec files - not personally familiar with them.
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Major Player

I tend to convert 2 or 3 weddings at a time. Nothing serious, I currently batch them on the software I use. Sorenson looks really good. I was thinking about switching to H.264, but I'm not sure how many people would be able to view it. A lot of our customers (brides) look at our videos from their computers at work. I'm not sure how "up to date" most of them would be. We are still aiming for the largest audience.
I will check out the other two that you mentioned and see what they have. I appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks,

Chad
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

VP6 is a nice upgrade from the Spark codec - really.

I love almost everything about h.264 and am convinced that it is the codec we'll all be using for a while... but not sure if it's reaching everyone yet.

VP6 in flash goes back to 2005, and has pretty good penetration.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video