Help for WMV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 4th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help for WMV

Hi everybody!!
Iìm from Italy and I have my first XL2 filmlook footage to post here. But I have some problems generating the WMV. The duration is about 1.30", and I want a 20 mb file. I downloaded the Windows Media Encoder 9, but my results are too big or very bad quality.

Here in the forum I downloaded some WMV very good. Someone can help me?..

thanks everybody

Michele
Michele Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Michele. 20MB is 160Mb, and if your video is 90 seconds long, you need a data rate of 160/90 which is about 1.8Mbs. I don't know how you are encoding your video to WMV, but you should try to select a data rate close to that. maybe there is a broadband preset for 1500Kbps that would work for you?

(By the way, I'm assuming that there is no audio to be considered.)

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 05:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes there is also audio (stereo but I can encode to mono)...

I choose wmv because the video is 16x9 anamorphic... and I thought only that codec mantain this aspect ratio...

which do you suggest me?...

thanks a lot

Michele
Michele Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Michele!

This difficulty seems more about working with the settings on Windows Media Encoder software than the XL2. I'll move your post over to the "DVD and Web Video Delivery" message board, where you might get more responses.

I'm at work right now, so can't help too much. But it does seem you ought to be able to get decent quality with what you're tying to do. If you're using pre-sets, it may be that without realizing it you are encoding to a lower resolution than you intend, such as 320x240. Depending on your encoding, these seemingly fundamental settings can be buried in the multiple tabs of the interface. If I remember correctly, you have to go to the "Audiences" or some other odd place rather than the Video area to adjust your pixel resolution.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #5
Trustee

Michele,
I try to help you out:

1. Open Media Encoder and choose file - new. Choose the wizard and dobbelclick on Custom session

2. A new window open with several tab-index. Start with Sources - choose source from file and then browse for your source file. Make sure you see the source-file name in the file name field.

3. choose the next tab-index: output. Mark Archive to file and write a file-name of your choice in the file name field.

4. Compression: Personally a use to choose Windows Media server (streaming) in the destination field. Don't do anything in the video and audio field. Choose a proper bit rate f.eks 548 kps.

5. Video Size: In the Crop area make sure that Method = (No cropping) In the Resize area make sure Method = Custom, Bit rate the same as in the Compression tab-index (548 kps). Change width and Height field to the same as the values in the crop area.

6. Attributes: Put in your values here.

7. Then click Apply-button. You may be getting some tips and warning windows, click ok in those.

8 Last, click Start Encoding in the top meny. You might also choose display and Zoom factor to watch the encoding. The encoding will start and you can watch the rendering prossess. Sit back and relax til the program finished the prossess.

Tip: If the encoded wmv-file not match your suggested file-size, try to change the values in the Compression tab-index.

Hope this will help you, good luck!

- Per Johan
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video