Pink vs. Red backlight on display? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old October 13th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pink vs. Red backlight on display?

I'm new to my DR-HD100 (latest firmware confirmed) and have noticed that the first one or few presses of my camera's (JVC HD200) record button turns the Firestore backlight color from blue to pink (or flashing pink in rec-pause mode).

Then, for no discernible reason, the next time I hit record the Firestore backlight is red (or flashing red for rec-pause), and it keeps this color for the rest of the session.

I've skimmed through the manual and can't even find any mention at all of the backlight colors. Is the "pink" color a bug, or does it have some meaning?

Last edited by Brent Kolitz; October 13th, 2007 at 09:24 AM.
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Just a bump...

Can any of you who've viewed this post at least tell me that I must be crazy to have a pink Firestore?

(Or maybe I should have this moved to the JVC forum?)

Thanks!
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey Brent,
You're not crazy. That's how it is supposed to be. It is that way so that you can tell the difference when it is recording and not. Nothing to worry about.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah View Post
Hey Brent,
You're not crazy. That's how it is supposed to be. It is that way so that you can tell the difference when it is recording and not. Nothing to worry about.
Kit,

Thanks for replying. But when my display turns pink, it *is* recording. What I'm saying is that the first time (or couple of times) I hit record on the camera, the FS backlight turns pink (light purplish maybe) and stays that way throughout the duration of recording that clip...and when I then put it into rec-pause mode, it flashes pink.

However, after hitting record a couple more times, the next time I hit record, the FS backlight is *red* (and flashes red on rec-pause).

So this either seems to be a bug, or the pink color means something (and I don't think the FS manual even addresses the fact that the backlight has different colors -- it only talks about the LED colors on top of the unit).

If you've seen a pink backlight on your FS, then what mode/condition are you saying it's indicating?

Judging from the lack of response to my post, I was assuming that people have only seen blue and red on their displays...
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have an additional clue:

Right now, my FS is doing the "pink record" thing -- it's in rec-pause mode, and the display's backlight is actually alternating between blue and pink.

However, I remember that once the display ultimately turns dark red to signify record mode, then rec-pause mode actually causes the display to alternate between red and no backlight at all. So, I think "pink" might equal red + blue....as in the FS display is forgetting to turn off the blue backlight on the initial few record triggers (or alternatively, pink is the intended color for record mode, and the display is incorrectly turning off the blue light after a few record triggers -- this could actually make more sense, since in a dark environment, you'd only be able to read the screen on each red flash in rec-pause mode).

Unless someone can tell me otherwise, I'm having a hard time believing that this isn't a bug, as opposed to a meaningful mode indicator....but I'd at least like to find out that it doesn't indicate a defective unit. And if it is a bug, it's irritating and should be easy to fix.
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

After more experimenting, I've answered my own question:

1. When Firestore refers to the "light," they mean the "BLUE backlight" only

2. Blue + Red = Pink

So, if you have your "light" set to "off" (or auto, but then it turns off), you'll see RED for record mode (and alternating red/no light for rec-pause mode).

If your light is "on," you'll see PINK when recording (and alternating blue/pink for rec-pause mode).

A fairly stupidly conceived arrangement, but that's the story.
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Brent

Thanks for the lights. I never since this is a problem I guess is the way should be on my FS-4 HD. I used Light "ON", red color flashes not very good to see :)
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Glad I was able to help someone out!

I only set the backlight to auto in order to save battery -- not sure how much difference it really makes.

Clearly, you would expect the "light" option to affect ALL backlights -- not just the blue one. A rather dumb oversight that maybe someone from Focus will see here & fix in the next update.
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore