A few Firestore/XH-A1 questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old October 16th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A few Firestore/XH-A1 questions

I am hoping for a quick clarification. If I buy the current version of the FS-C
and use it with my XH-A1, will I be able to use the files in FCP 6 in all HD modes (60i,30F,24F) by dropping them straight in with no extra conversions?

How long does the battery really last?

Anyone have a photo of the FS-C mounted to an XH-A1.

Thanks for your help?

Clay
Clay K. Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Clay, if the firestore has the latest version of software, it should shoot in quicktime mode and you can use the files in FCP. Or you can shoot in transport stream mode and use something like MPEG Streamclip to convert the files. The battery is the weak link, not lasting very long at all.

As much as I would like to purchase a firestore for my XH-A1, I have had nothing but bad luck with any of the HD units I have demo'd.
We purchased something like 23 of the Firestore FS-3 DV models and had to send them all back for repair, as a hard drive shielding problem let a high pitch wine into any audio recorded by the camera.
The other problem we have had with them is sometimes the hard drive will reach it's thermal barrier and shut down during a shoot.

By the way, didn't our sons used to hang out together?
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, and yes, they did hang together. How is he doing?

Clay
Clay K. Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a FS-C and I have used it with the XH-A1. The battery that comes with it only last about 90 minutes. I did buy a Powerbag Jr and it works well as a powersource.
It works well dropping into the FCP timeline.
Major issue is size and portability, especially with the PowerBag. Good for set interviews.

Ryan
Ryan Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Major Player

battery

Is the battery soldered into the machine, or can you buy an extra LIon battery for it?

I suppose if you're "in the field" you can just shoot to tape.

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

firestore

Clay, The Firestore, when I purchased it, gave me the option of buying a second battery through the video guys. It is a larger battery and easily lasts me 90 minutes to 2 hours, maybe more. It is slightly larger than the one that came with the unit. I can get through an entire highschool football game with interviews afterward as well as plenty of power to later donwload. During the entire time I am not justing it off. I have the FS-4 Pro HD 60 gig, and have had no problems. From what I understand from the Focus enhancement people, the FS-C was designed with the Canon XHA1's in mind. Send a query to their support group. I have found them very open and getting back to me within a day's time....

jerry
sioux city, iowa
Jerry Mennenga is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore