FS-4 Tapeless operation with a Canon GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old March 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FS-4 Tapeless operation with a Canon GL2?

The manual for the FS-4 says the Tapeless Trigger mode allows the FS-4 HD to be controlled from a camcorder if it features an external control setting separate from the tape transport. The manual says the Canon XL1s and XL2 have this feature. Does the Canon GL2 also have this feature? I would like to control the FS-4 from the oncamera controls without using a tape.
Kelvin Kelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have the same question, although what I THINK is that you have to have a tape in the camera to control the FS from the camera.

I also THINK that you can record without a tape if you control the FS locally.

I would like someone who KNOWS to confirm or deny what I THINK.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I found it - you can record directly to the FS-4 without using a Tape.

In the GL2 Menu (from camera tape mode), go to System - DV Control - turn it On.

When another device (such as an FS-4 in Tapeless mode) is connected to the camera, you can operate the FS-4 recording/record pause/stop by pressing the Red start/stop button on the GL2.

When the FS-4 is recording [REC] appears in the display of the camera. When it is stopped [STOP] appears. When the FS-4 is in any other mode (not sure what these may be, but it happened to me once last night), [---] appears in the camera display. [DV IF] flashes if DV Control is turned on and no device is connected (or the power to the device is turned off).

This is going to save me a significant amount of wear and tear on the camera when shooting little league baseball games - no more starting and stoping the tape drive.
Kelvin Kelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Kevin,

Thanks much for the update. I tried it tonight and it didn't work for me - BUT (big, big, but) I may well have messed up a setting someplace as the camera and FS-4 are still really new to me. I'll have a cup of tea and relax for a while and try it again later and be careful to check all the settings one more time.

Lots of little buttons that I can fumble finger, along with lots of menus that i can confuse.

I'll post the results.
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It worked!

OK - it worked and I recorded a clip to the FS-4 without any tape in the GL-2

I obviously had messed up some setting before.

Have to admit that I'm not quite sure how I really got it all to work as I was sitting at my desk with the GL-2 manual and the FS-4 manual both open and just reading things and pushing buttons as I went.

But in the end it did indeed work, recorded tapelessly, and transferred the clip to the PC.

Now that I know I can do it it's time to go over all the steps in my mind a few times and then practice until it feels like something I could do without the book.

Have to say that a lot of the way you have to twiddle the controls and interpret the menus on the FS-4 doesn't really make for a very intuitive workflow.

But it does work.
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

It's getting easier. I found out how to set the FS-4 so there is only 1 button to push to switch to tapeless mode, and a single button to switch between computer and camera attach.

In the function menu you can set the function keys to do the job.
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Very helpful, guys. I am headed down this road shortly, and feel much more confident having found your posts. Good to know someone has blazed the trail ahead!
Bill Spearman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore