"No Partition" problem La Cie pocket drv at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old January 17th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #1
Tourist

"No Partition" problem La Cie pocket drv

We are trying to setup two new firestore FS-1 units and we are getting a "No Partition" message with every drive we try.

Our drives are La Cie Pocket Drive (60 GB) that have been formatted as FAT32 single partitions under Win98. Connected to FS-1 via included firewire cable. (Tried other cables, in case the cable was the problem).

Drives connect directly to both W2K and W98 systems and work fine. But FS-1 does not recognize them.

Using built-in partittioning feature of FS-1 results in "Partitioning...*" display that just sits there for hours with no completion.

Also, have tried powering drives both through firewire and AC adapter. No difference.

And of course we need the FS-1 units for a three day shoot that starts tomorrow.

Help! Any guidance appreciated!

Tim Gunkel
tim_gunkel@yahoo.com
Tim Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Tim,

Matt McEwen of Focus Enhancements keeps regular office hours Pacific time on weekdays, but I'll send him an email now and ask him to look in on this thread.

In the meantime, I suspect the problem might be related to partitioning in Win98. Have you tried doing so in Win2k? That might make the difference (worth a shot, anyway).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #3
Focus Enhancements

Hi Tim,

I am sorry you ran into this problem. The new Lacie drives had a firmware change which, according to Lacie, was for Mac OS10.3 compatibility.

I will email you the software utility that allows you to down-rev the firmware on the drive so that FS-1 will see it. Are you on Mac or PC? We will fix this issue in the next FS-1 firmware release.

I should be on email most of the weekend if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 06:47 PM   #4
Focus Enhancements

Tim,

I have tried to send the Lacie firmware upgrade utility twice to your Yahoo address and it keeps bouncing back. Have you another email address?

Let me know,
Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #5
Tourist

Matt and Chris,

Thank you! I'll contact you by e-mail Matt with another e-mail address. I'm traveling, and I have to find an address here that I can use.

An interesting side note: Even though the FS-1 will not see the drive, if I put it in HDD mode, the host PC sees the drive just fine and mounts it. So at least we know that all the data cables are working.

Tim
Tim Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Tim--

I had the same problem -- the utility Tim is sending you will fix the problem just fine. It was frustrating, though.
Old January 29th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #7
Tourist

firmware

Is this utility already posted on the Firestore website for all to use?
Mark A. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #8
Focus Enhancements

Hello,

We added an FAQ on this item today.

http://www.focusinfo.com/support/faq/firestorefaq.htm#lacie

Sorry for the delay.

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore