FS-4 Charge LED - handbook wrong? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old March 17th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FS-4 Charge LED - handbook wrong?

As a new UK owner of an FS-4 I'm asking for confirmation or otherwise that the info on the Charge LED is round the wrong way.

The handbook (P.7) says Green is Fast Charge Mode and Yellow (actually a sort of amber) is Float Charge Mode, but recharging a discharged battery gives a period of amber then it goes green and stays green. Can other users confirm, please?

On a related topic, is anyone else having difficulty changing batteries? The Li-ion slides into a recess in the back of the unit and locks into place. About the only design criticism that I have of the unit is that removing a battery is VERY difficult - you have to hold the unit in both hands then use the forefinger nail of one hand to pull back the catch while the other hand (fingers flat and nails clawing at a tiny gap) pull the smooth surface of the battery. You risk breaking nails AND dropping the unit. At the very least there should be a coin/screwdriver blade slot to start the process.

Ray Liffen
Ray Liffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Same problems here

I have just started charging the battery and get the amber (or orange) color LED, which is not listed in the User Guide.

I struggled to insert first one battery and then the other just to make sure it wasn't me. I struggled even more to remove them under studio conditions. I do not look forward to seeing how difficult it will be swapping batteries out in the humidity of South Florida under duress.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #3
New Boot

Battery fun!

I had noticed the orange too, but only on the first charge. After that, you'll see the yellow. (Mind you, I've only done this once) I wish I understood what float charge is and what fast charge is and when is it fully juiced so I can take it shooting.

As for battery removal - HOLY COW! That's tough! Even in our studio, I had to try several times before removing the battery. I'm going to be packing one of those rubber grippers that you use to open jars so that when I get hot or sweaty, I'll be able to slide the battery out.

At least I know it won't fall out on its own or if it gets bumped! ; )

- Steve
Steve Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Focus Enhancements

Sorry, guys, there is an error in the User Guide.

Here is the correct battery light status info:

States of Charge LED
_* Off ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ No Charger Connected
_* Green ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ Charge Cycle Complete
_* Amber/Green ___ ___ __ Float Charge Mode (Charge almost complete)
_* Amber__ _ ___ ___ ___ ___ Fast Charge Mode (Maximum Charge Rate)
_* Red ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ Charger Error
_* Red/Amber ___ ___ ___ No battery installed / battery error
_* Amber Blink ___ ___ Charger voltage insufficient

Sorry about that. A corrected user guide will be out shortly.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Contributor

Hi all,

I did report the problem of getting the battery out of its locking mechanism with my beta unit, to Focus while I was testing it. I suggested some kind of ridging in the battery surface to make it easier to get a grip on it with your thumb. I can only assume that the batteries were already in production or already produced by the time they got my tip.

Anyway, I have a suggestion for a possible remedy. I used a strip of self adhesive sandpaper applied to the battery back. I imagine that grip tape, like for a skateboard would even work better if its thin enough. There is enough room in the caddy to accommodate the sandpaper P150 I used.

Too bad they weren't able to fix that.

This shouldn't be viewed as a pardon for this design problem, it's just a suggestion for a work around.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore