FS-CV: Delete clips option is a bad idea... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old October 4th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FS-CV: Delete clips option is a bad idea...

I made the mistake of showing up at a shoot without previously having reformatted the 100GB in the FS-CV. I only noticed this after about an hour's worth of video had been recorded. (Duh. It was early. The caffeine hadn't kicked in...)

Anyway, I thought I would delete several large clips, so, at a break I figured out the clip numbers and deleted them using the Utility menu, Delete Clip option.

Yeah. I know what the manual says about fragmentation, but what it should say is:

=====

If you delete clips in the unit, not only do you run the risk of disk fragmentation causing performance problems with recorded video and audio, but also there is a risk that the firmware of the FS-CV will get its panties in a knot and will suffer from some form of RAM-based fragementation. The symptoms will be that the time code will updated jerkily and in much slower than real time, the red "recording" light will flash more intermittently, and the resulting audio and video you allegedly recorded will have so many dropped frames and artifacts that it will make you wonder what on earth Focus Enhancements programmers who wrote the firmware could have done to make things this bad just because you, gak!, deleted clips! :) .

So, if you really want to delete clips, one way to avoid the RAM-based fragmentation is to delete all the clips you want, power the unit off, and then power the unit back on. This way, the RAM-based data pertaining to the clips on disk will be up to date and the RAM-based fragmentation will not be a factor. Hard disk fragmentation may still be an issue but the unit is more likely to be usable at the shoot.

====

Note: The "RAM-based fragmentation" may be an incorrect inference on my part, but the phenomenon is real -- and power cycling the unit fixes it (which it would not do if it was disk-based fragmentation).

Regards
Andy

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore