Interesting quirk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old April 29th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Interesting quirk

I noticed something odd with the HD (720p) clips I recorded on my MR-HD100 today. I was also rolling tape in a JVC GY-HD200.
I went to check a few of the clips using Quicktime. on my MacBook Pro. Regardless of the length of the shot I rolled (do we still say that any more?) all the clips were 4:26 seconds long. The shots themselves were fine, but then froze on the last frame for the remainder of the 4:46. For example, 20 seconds of moving video, then 4:06 frozen.
However, when I imported a couple into FCP, none of the frozen video was imported.
I got the shots I needed, so no biggie, I guess, other than possibly eating up a lot of unnecessary drive space (I'll have to export a couple of clips from FCP and compare the file sizes).
Any ides? Is it just a Quicktime quirk? I can't recall ever playing directly out of the drive before.
Michael Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Interesting quirk

I made a comparison between a clip copied to my desktop directly from the drive, and a QT version of the same clip exported from FCP, also to the desktop. The file sizes were pretty similar, 47.9 MB and 44.2 MB respectively. Maybe this frozen video is a phantom that isn't actually gobbling up my hard drive?
The duration of the direct clip does indeed say 18 seconds in the information window.
The direct clip does the same thing as always, 18 seconds of rolling video then frozen out to 4:45, the FCP export plays normally.
I could foresee s situation in which I'd like to just copy the MR-DH100 files directly for a client without the frozen video without having to process them all through FCP.
Michael Kinney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore