GL2 and the FS-4 not working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old July 15th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GL2 and the FS-4 not working

Hey guys, i have a new FS-4 and it communicates with my GL2 but when I hit record the counter doesn't move and it doesn't record anything. It does act like it though. The indicator pauses when i hit pause and it shows record when i hit record but the counter doesn't move and it records nothing. I have tried every trick i've heard about on this site and on the web but nothing works. I have been trying to get Focus to call me back but since i'm in Thailand on location I can't get a phone call. Does anyone have a work around for this issue or has anyone heard of anything that will work? The only thing I haven't done is had it replaced. Being in Bangkok it's a bit hard...

Any help would be perfect.

Thanks,

Michael
Michael Pennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Just Upgraded to Pro

I just upgraded to the FS-4 Pro and all my problems went away. For now...
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #3
Focus Enhancements

Hi Michael,

Glad you are up and running. From your first report, it almost sounds like the camera was PAL (or NTSC) and the FS-4 was the opposite (your issue is typical of what you would see). There should be no difference between the FS-4 and FS-4Pro with a GL2. FS-4 and Fs-4Pro are PAL or NTSC, they are not switchable.

Hope that helps.

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Spoke too soon...

I thought it recorded but it didn't. I have the GL2 and i'm not sure how it's set but I do believe that it's NTSC by default. The FS4 does not record anything. It acts like it does. It shows the pauses and records but the counter does not move and it records nothing. I have tried this with the FS4 and the FS4 Pro and still nothing. Is there something I need to set on my GL2 to get it to work right with the FS4 pro?

Any help would be great!

Michael
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

my settings....

Michael:
I too have a GL-2 and FS-4 combo. I have only seen what it sounds like your experiencing in one configuration. Cable in the wrong port on the FS-4. I know it sounds silly to ask you to verify the cable location but after 10+ years in IT, you would not believe how many times I have seen stuff like this happen.

Here are my settings just so you can compare.

FS-4:
Record Menu: Normal
Control Menu: Tapeless

GL-2:
System Menu: Dv Control - on

Camera will display [DV IF] when turned on but not connected to FS-4. Once connected to FS-4 it will change to [Stop].

I read somewhere that there was an issue that someone had where his FS-4 would only record if the Display Type was set to DV NTSC, but I have not had any such problems.

Hope this helps....

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Here is why...

Ok, i bought the FS-4 from a dealer here in Thailand. So... That means it's a DV-PAL and not DV-NTSC. They only sell DV-PAL outside America. So this is why mine doesn't work. My GL2 is from American and is a NTSC. The signal is different and won't communicate properly. So, now I have to order a FS-4 that is DV-NTSC and all will be fine... I hope.

This totally makes sense too. I have not had anyone have this same exact issue because everyone i've talked to has a FS-4 that is DV-NTSC.

Kind of a load off my mind but now I have to play the Thailand hurry up and wait game.

Thanks to all who have tried to help.
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #7
New Boot

I have same problem:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72985

Icons are changing, but no actual recording. And it is for sure not the problem with the cable.
Alex Savin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 03:32 AM   #8
New Boot

FS4 Problem

Hi Michael
Sorry to hear about your FS4. I have bought an NTSC FS 4 instead of a PAL unit. I live in the UK. Perhaps we could swap? mail me.
Trevor Bray
Trevor Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore