Firestore 4 Already Defective After 5min Use !!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old June 1st, 2006, 01:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Firestore 4 Already Defective After 5min Use !!!

Just got to test my Firestore 4 with the XL2. I got it to work in unison with the camera to record. I go to power it down so I can hook it up to my computer, it doesn't power down. So, I'm forced to remove the battery. Now, all it does is the fan goes on, and stays on, the screen stays dull blue, but no menu. And the fan keeps on running, and running, and running. That's it. It's a useless peice of crap now. So, now it's going back to Zotz Digital. If this is an indication of the working of the unit, I think I'll just get my money back. End of story. Alas, aside from the few positive feedback about it, looks like the negative feedbacks have won out. Oh well... Too expensive to deal with a defective piece of s$%#. Great concept, but forget it.
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hi Joseph,

Sounds like your unit is hanging on something....try holding down the stop key while powering on the unit. Keep holding the Stop key down until the unit fully boots-up. This will boot to the factory image. If you have any clips you need on the drive, mount the unit to your computer and copy the files off. Then do a format and System Reset (in the Setup menu). If you have a phone number or email address, I will have tech support contact you today.

We obviously want to get you up and running!

Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Matt,

I tried what you suggested already after going to the Focus web page. Still didn't help. I held it down way longer than 5 seconds as suggested so far. Still no good. Just kept holding the stop button continiously while pusing the power button for a good deal of time.

I'm also hearing about another common complaint about the FS4 is when the cooling fan kicks in after 15min., that it's loud enough to be picked up if one is capturing sound on a set. Although I've not been able to get that far with it, but judging by the loudness of the fan as it sounds since it's been staying on with the unit not fully booting up, I'm hoping that is not what it will sound like every time the fan is supposed to kick in after every 15min.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
Hi Joseph,

Sounds like your unit is hanging on something....try holding down the stop key while powering on the unit. Keep holding the Stop key down until the unit fully boots-up. This will boot to the factory image. If you have any clips you need on the drive, mount the unit to your computer and copy the files off. Then do a format and System Reset (in the Setup menu). If you have a phone number or email address, I will have tech support contact you today.

We obviously want to get you up and running!

Matt McEwen

Last edited by Rob Lohman; August 10th, 2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old June 1st, 2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Focus Enhancements

Hi,

Someone from support will be contacting you shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The fan does throttle up on power up, but then should return to nearly silent operation once the unit has booted. If your unit is not booting, the fan may be stuck in the high throttle up mode. The fan uses an internal temperature sensor that changes the fan speed depending on the temperature of the drive inside the unit. Early units had noisier fans, but that has since been changed (we offered a free update to early users). So, fan noise generally depends on the temperature in the operating environment.

Hope that helps,

Matt McEwen
Old June 2nd, 2006, 12:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt for your prompt responses amd help. I did receive a call today (thursday) early afternoon from James. He's said he'd be calling over to Brian at Zotz Digital from whom I purchased it from. Will be working on seeing about a replacement if it sounds like not an easy fix. He also did mention that the issue with the earlier models and loud fans has been since resolved. that's good to hear. I'll be awaiting more on the reaponse pertaining to my unit. And obviously thanks to yours and James' good customer service skills I've received from my initial posting on this thread, and wanting to take care of the problem, I'm seeing the situation in a better and more hopeful light. So thank you in that area.

Regards,
Joe
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I am having the exact same problem with my Firestore FS-4 Pro HD. I used to be able to get it going after taking the battery out about 10 times and restarting it. Now it will not boot up. All I get is blank blue screen and the fan sounds like it is running at full speed. This started happening to my unit about a week after I have received it. I have tried finding answers on the web, but all I have found is that several people are having the same or similar problem. I wrote to Firestore regarding the problems that I have been having with no response. I was very excited about this unit, but it has been such a hassle that I don't even use it anymore. I guess you can't beat good old tape.
Jared Teter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just got the replacement unit the other day (or it might even be the same unit but repaired, I never wrote down the original serial #), anyway, I haven't had a chance to test it yet except for charging up the battery, and make sure it fires up both with AC & DC. So far good.
Stange thing, it appears to have one of the four gold contact connectors on the unit missing for the battery connection. I could have sworn that there were 4 contact connectors originally on the 1st unit I had, where one of them broke off when trying to put the battery back on after many attemts to figure out what was wrong with the unit. (that's when the unit wouldn't even power up at all finally.) But, this "new" unit still powers up with the battery regardless. So I guess the battery only needs 3 contacts, even though it appears it would need all 4 contacts?

I'll post here again Jared to let you know what goes on with my unit over time.
I went thru Zotz with mine, so I hadn;t had to deal too much directly with the people at Focus, but when I did, they just dropped the ball because Brian at Zotz was dealing with a buyer via Canon for my unit. (Although I'm still not clear on how Canon came into play with the FS4) But, judging by my short experiance with Focus initially, and heaing other feedback from people, it seems they're really bad in the Customer Service area....

Joe
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Focus Enhancements

Hi Joseph,

There is only three battery contact pins.

Jared, I would still recommend that you contact our support department if you are having issues. Alternatively, please provide me with your details and I will have someone contact you.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Old August 8th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #9
Focus Enhancements

Sorry Jared, just re-read your post. Someone will contact you tomorrow.

Matt
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Matt,
I would appreciate an email at jared@teterhorn.com.
Thanks
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #11
Wrangler

I removed a post here that contained a personal phone number and a request to Focus customer service. Please contact companies directly for specific customer service issues, and as a general personal safety measure don't put your phone numbers on the message board (we'll just remove them anyway when we see them). Thanks.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #12
Focus Enhancements

Hi Pete,

Can you please send me the post with the phone number and question for support offline? I would like to make sure our tech support group is able to contact this customer.

Thanks,

Matt McEwen
Focus Enhancements
Old August 24th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Matt,
I returned my unit to Focus Enhancements to get it repaired due to the boot up problems that I was having. I have written two emails trying to get the status of my unit with no responses. This purchase is becoming more of a nightmare everyday. Please find out what you can about my unit. I would really appreciate it.
Jared Teter
jared@teterhorn.com
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #14
Major Player

bought my unit about 1 1/2 year ago. had a fan, and a batt problem. in both instances i got fast service by email/ phone and mail. since i am very close to their homeoffice we even by-passed the service center.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #15
Focus Enhancements

Hi Jared,

I pinged our tech support manager on this and he said that he has contacted you with an update and that your unit shipped back to you yesterday and you should be receiving it tomorrow.

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore