Fs4 & Xl2, Not Syncing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Fs4 & Xl2, Not Syncing

I managed to get the FS4 to sync with my XL2 once when I got my unit, but have not been able to do so since. I tried every combination of booting FS4 b4 camera, booting after camera powering, etc,etc... I don't get it. I can record onto the FS4 in local mode with no problem, but I of course have to start recording manually. And I'm noticing that no matter how many times I try to sellect Sync Slave, the little dash to the left of the selection is never staying on " sync slave". It'll be there next to any of the other settings if I select them, but never Sync mode. Any suggestions?

Joe
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Andolina
I managed to get the FS4 to sync with my XL2 once when I got my unit, but have not been able to do so since. I tried every combination of booting FS4 b4 camera, booting after camera powering, etc,etc... I don't get it. I can record onto the FS4 in local mode with no problem, but I of course have to start recording manually. And I'm noticing that no matter how many times I try to sellect Sync Slave, the little dash to the left of the selection is never staying on " sync slave". It'll be there next to any of the other settings if I select them, but never Sync mode. Any suggestions?

Joe
Local is the default setting and each time you hit sync and go to the main screen, then back it will say local. Don't worry about that. Set all to sync and be sure to reverse the start-up order. For some reason the XL2 requires you to use the opposite start order, and this is posted on the Focus site. I had a lot of trouble until I found that out.

Make sure the XL2 has the DV control set to "on."

Mike
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks Mike, I'll try again. I tried finding the mention about the XL2 & FS4 on the Focus page, but hadn;t found it. Where would i find it? do you have a direct link where it's mentioned?

Thanks again.

Joe
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Andolina
thanks Mike, I'll try again. I tried finding the mention about the XL2 & FS4 on the Focus page, but hadn;t found it. Where would i find it? do you have a direct link where it's mentioned?

Thanks again.

Joe
I found it under the FAQ's on FS-4's. Here's the page and the question.

http://www.focusenhancements.com/sup...cs.asp#answers

In Synchro Slave mode, my FS-4 will not connect to my Canon XL1 or XL2 camera. Why? Two things could be causing this.

1. Make sure the camera has "DV Control" set to "On" or "Enabled". In Synchro Slave mode, the camera must send a command through the DV port each time the camera's "record" button is pressed. Unless this setting is made on the Canon camera, this won't happen.

2. Use the opposite "power on" sequence than the one described in the FS-4 user manual (which works for most cameras). First turn on the FS-4 and set it to "Synchro Slave" mode. THEN turn on the Canon XL camera. This should allow the two devices to communicate, and control will be established from the camera.

Mike
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've tried over and over reversing the process to get the XL2 to control the FS4, but to no avail, it still does not sync up. I fire up the FS4 first, select Syncro Slave, then power up the XL2. The only way I've been able to use it is by manually starting and stopping the recording on the FS4. Trouble with that is I have had a habbit of forgetting to stop the FS4 in between takes, and wind up with unwanted extra footage, waisting space on the FS4. It'l like I need an extra operator to keep an eye on the FS4.

And yes, the DV control is enabled on the XL2.

so what next is the real question? Other than that, it's been great so far.

Joe
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Joseph,

I'll give you the specific steps that I use and see if that works. If not, you may have a bad component. You said that the DV Control was on, but reverify by checking to see that the "DV" and the little "Lightning Bolt" are on when the camera is on.

Turn the camera OFF.

Attach the FS-4 to the camera with the firewire.

Turn on the FS-4.

Press right arrow, Go to "HDD Mode" and select DV Recorder.

Press right arrow again, Go to "DV Formats" page and select your format like AVI Type2.

Press right arrow again, Go to "Functions" page, and select FA Sync.

Press right arrow again, Go to the "Control" page and select Syncro Slave.

Return to the main page by pushing the right arrow again one time. (Do not touch anything else on the main page at this time.)

Turn on the XL2, and then press record.

The recorder should now work and show time code movement on the counter.

If the above does not help then it is time to check out each component. Start with the Firewire cable. Try a different one to see if that helps.

If not try another camera with the FS-4, and then of course try a different FS-4 with your camera.

Last step, send whatever piece that is defective in for repair! :)

I hope that all will work and nothing is wrong though.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore