Final Cut Pro 720/30 Update to DR-HD100 Released! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Final Cut Pro 720/30 Update to DR-HD100 Released!

Product Update
DR-HD100 QuickTime HDV Support Available Now
With the DR-HD100 v2.0 firmware update, you can record 720p/30 clips in the native QuickTime HDV file format. QuickTime HDV clips can be imported directly into Apple Final Cut Pro without the need for capture or conversion first. Purchase Update Now

https://www.plimus.com/jsp/buynow.js...ractId=1667180

I just ordered mine!! Can't wait until it comes in!

My only question....can Focus be ahead on Apple in releasing 720/24P support? If focus uses the same method as above, but changes the pulldown pattern to 24p, then we can trick FCP into editing it using the 720/30P HDV Compressor with a 23.98 editing timebase....if they do this, that would be cool.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Major Player

what about 25p?

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Upgrade compatibility with other Firestore units

But will the 720/30 update work with an FS-4 HD pro 80G??? If it doesn't then I think it's time for me to get rid of the FS-4.
Jon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:53 AM   #4
Focus Enhancements

25p is not currently supported in Final Cut Pro.

The QuickTime update for FS-4Pro HD is due in a couple of weeks. It is currently in test. If you would like to beta test this version Jon, send me an email off list.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #5
Major Player

I just got the FOCUS CD UPGRADE in the mail today...the 720/30P works without any problems....

On a side note, I tried to capture with 24P, but alas, the file will not open in Quicktime or MPEG STREAMCLIP.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
25p is not currently supported in Final Cut Pro.

The QuickTime update for FS-4Pro HD is due in a couple of weeks. It is currently in test. If you would like to beta test this version Jon, send me an email off list.

Thanks,

Matt
How about the Focus FS-4 basic? Will that be updated as well?

It's a great device.
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Focus Enhancements

The QuickTime update is for the FS-C, DR-HD100 and FS-4Pro HD only. It is not supported on the standard FS-4 HD.

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #8
Inner Circle

So I'll get my money back for the unit?

That's one sad bit of news. The FS4 HD can do QuickTime DV but for some reason it won't be upgraded to QuickTime HDV? Focus should seriously rethink the corporate decision that came to this. Or at least put on the website, "You better buy the Pro version 'cause we ain't upgrading the basic."

In fact while the head honchos are around the fire I suggest also seriously rethinking the differences between the FS4-Pro HD and the basic. The reason I didn't purchase the Pro last week was that I am not using an Avid and to me the reel and loop functions are not worth the $300 dollar difference. The Pro needs to offer a substantial "professional" improvement. How about one touch scene tagging so we can easily pull the good takes? How about an automatic scene retrieval function so we can compare setups easily. These are software improvements but I could also add, how about a FireStore that can play back to a monitor by analog without having to switch the camera to "VTR"? Focus makes the excellent MX-4 Video Mixer so the technology is already in house. All these are "professional" features.

Actually I think the device is very professional in whatever configuration Focus is selling it. It's not a consumer piece of equipment. It's sturdy, well designed and something I am happy to have as a regular part of my shooting ensemble. Well, maybe it won't be if I can't get it upgraded. Back to undependable HDV tape, sigh. I would like to add that I am willing to pay the $40 for the update, heck even $100. I'm sure that there are enough FS-4 HD owners out there who would pay for the upgrade also.

In fact I was about to post a question about finding a working cover for it, sort of like an iPod cover. I'm afraid it'll get scratched up hanging on my belt.

Last edited by William Hohauser; August 30th, 2006 at 08:49 AM.
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:15 PM   #9
Trustee

You know, there's always the CitiDisk. If focus doesn't want to provide the features you need, there are sure other options.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 06:50 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks for the info. I can only hope that Focus takes a 70% product and makes it into a 95% product. It's within their reach.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore