Firestore FS-C various topics - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:26 AM   #91
Major Player

Ok Chris - a couple more questions....

1: Can you - with no battery at all attached to the HD100 Drive, see the Red light (charge light) illuminate on the drive when you connect via firewire (computer out)?

If so... what happens when you go (or try to go) to HDD Mode > DD Drive > Enable?

2: Correct....Damaged clips will not stop the drive mounting...

Don't give up... when the drive works its a great tool.....

Stu...
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:12 AM   #92
New Boot

Stew, It is a FS-4 Pro HD 80 GB. I am not sure if that changes your initial question.

I just tried it and red light does appear on the FS-4 as well.

Powers on... Go to the enable and the screen turns pink for a second and reboots back to main screen. No icon appears on the mac.

Same as before.
Chris Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:05 AM   #93
Major Player

Chris - you say this is the 80 GB model (is this an older drive?)

Sorry Chris - I may be getting my wires crossed here - I thought your model was the JVC/Focus DRHD100 - although they are basically the same unit.

Not sure if you are aware - but the newer drives (or the JVC one at least) have gone from 40 - 60GB & 80-100 GB models with new software updates -

Is the version software the latest? (its in the menu)

We have had to shut down the drive now and then when it gets itself a bit confused but in the main they work very well.

Failing all this - it sounds like you have another faulty unit...

Focus where very good with us by email, sorting out issues we had at the begining...

Sorry can't be much more help here... I feel your frustration - appears to be a way of living these days with all this new technology.

Let us know how you get on.... all the best...

Stu...
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM   #94
New Boot

Negative... It is the FS-4 ProHD. It is running version 2.0.0.0 which appears to be a higher version but, it does not matter as I cannot upgrade it due to the fact that I cannot mount it to load an upgrade bin. :-)

Another faulty unit.... That I will have to pay to ship back. I am really not happy at this point.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM   #95
New Boot

I spent $35 dollars on a new 6 pin firewire cable. That has not helped either.
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #96
Major Player

I eventually got the hang of it and now have no problems downloading. If anyone is having problems with my particular unit made for the Canon XLH1 then you can email me and we can talk on the phone.

By the way, the unit worked almost flawlessly on our 12 day shoot. But I was glad we were running tape simultaneously, since it sometimes doesn't start recording properly so you really have to keep an eye on the TC counter to make sure it's actually running.

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #97
New Boot

Harry,

I am glad that you got yours working. I contacted FE about my problems and they are doing an RMA to replace the second unit. They are out of the 80gb units so I am getting a 100GB in return. That makes up for the 2 return shipping charges I paid out of pocket. I also asked that they test the new unit before shipping it to me.
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #98
Major Player

Harry, I just got an FS-C and haven't tested it yet. Could you summarize the main problem and solution you discovered? Thanks.
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #99
Major Player

Ring me and I'll give you the sacred secret method. 323 851 2942.

Best

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #100
Major Player

FS-C good so far

Just wanted to balance some of the negative comments with a positive one...

I've only done limited testing on my new FS-C, but it worked fine the first time I tried it. I upgraded the firmware before anything else. Then a quick shoot, transfer, and import into FCP. No problems with any of it. In fact, better than DV Rack HD, which I usually use, because DVR can't seem to produce a QT file that imports without a render line (or needs MPEG Streamclip to produce a copy without the line). The FS-C files imported beautifully as-is.
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #101
Major Player

FS-C and DVX100a

Hello,

I plan to acquire an XH A1 in a few months, for which I'll want the FS-C, but I'm doing a project in a few weeks (48 Hour Film) on my old DVX100a and would love to use a FireStore. Focus Enhancement's PDF doesn't recommend using the FS-C on the DVX, but I'm wondering if it might work anyway.

Thanks for any help.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #102
New Boot

Firestore FSC vs. FS-4

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a significant difference between the Firestore FSC (aka Canon Firestore for XL series) and the FS-4 HD. I know the Canon FSC comes with an XL series camera mount kit and is 60 GB all for $1250. The FS-4 HD is 40 GB and $650. I'm thinking about purchasing the FS-4 and a separate XL camera mount kit rather than the Canon-branded firestore. Any thoughts? Thanks
Brad Bonczkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #103
Major Player

Yes, save yourself some sleepless nights and get the FS-C. I did a lot of research, and the C is really optimized for the XL cameras. The differences go beyond what you read in the specs.

I haven't worked with mine much yet, but so far the C has worked flawlessly. I passed up an $800 rebate on the 4-HD, and I don't regret it.
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #104

On the contrary, both products are identical except for some camera/device interoperability. Reliability, quality or anything else is precisely identical between the units. So, it really depends on whether you want to spend the extra bucks for the interoperability. I didn't, and I don't miss what I gave up.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #105
New Boot

Thanks Philip & Bill for your responses. It appears most people have a love-hate relationship with their Firestore DTEs making me a bit weary about purchasing one. When I'm ready to purchase, I'll find a retailer with a good return policy in the event the Firestore doesn't work well. I'm curious if you can describe any interoperability differences between the two Firestore units. I would think that the Firewire connection and associated "DV camera interface" is virtually the same between computers and video cameras. Isn't that a standard? I recognize the physical camera mounts differ between cameras. Philip, what did your research show? Thanks
Brad Bonczkiewicz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore