DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   FS4 / FS4 Pro HD various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/77831-fs4-fs4-pro-hd-various-topics.html)

Stephen van Vuuren August 15th, 2004 09:09 AM

FS-4 & Vegas 5

Having seen the announcement about the FS-4, I have to see this is the first DTD product that interests me.

I shoot with a DVX100a, usually 24p 2:3 pulldown, - I assume no rendering or conversion would be needed for me to edit in Vegas 5?

Matt McEwen August 15th, 2004 10:54 PM

Hi Stephan,

Yes, we will have 24p AVI Type 2 support in FireStore FS-4. This format can be used with no rendering or conversion in Premiere Pro and Vegas Video. FS-3 also supports this format.

Hope that helps.

Matt McEwen

Stephen van Vuuren August 15th, 2004 10:57 PM

Excellent news.

Gary Bettan August 16th, 2004 09:22 AM

FireStore FS-4 offer for DV Info Net members

Ok guys - here is what I was able to work out for DV Info Net members. We have put together a special offer from Focus and Videoguys for a $50 Instant Rebate coupon. Just use coupon code DVINFOFS4 when you order on line or over the phone.

This is in additon to our FS-4 launch promotion:

FireStore Fs-4 Pre-Order price is $749.95
Bonus! Free extra battery - Custom Removeable Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery Pack (90 Min run time) $129 (value)

So DV Info Net memebers will get the FireStore FS-4 for $699.95 plus a FREE 2nd battery! http://www.videoguys.com/FireStore.html

Gary
Videoguys.com

Imran Zaidi August 16th, 2004 09:45 AM

Wow that sounds like a really great deal. Thanks videoguys!

Mark Whittle August 17th, 2004 06:00 AM

Does that offer stand for those of us in the outer suburbs of the global village?

Cheers
Mark

Gary Bettan August 17th, 2004 07:47 AM

We can ship anywhere in the world, as long as UPS or FedEx can deliver there. With shipping charges & import taxes it will probably be cheaper to find it locally.

Gary
Videoguys.com

Ron Edwards February 8th, 2005 09:17 PM

Firestore FS-4

Any one using the Firestore FS-4 recording system with a GL-2?

Results?

Chris Hurd February 9th, 2005 08:08 AM

Ron, I've seen this combo only at trade shows so far, but you'de think they work together very well since both Focus Enhancements and Canon USA have ads out right now that predominately show the FS-4 with a GL2.

See http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...rder_accessory.

Rick Pearson February 9th, 2005 09:03 AM

Growing up with FS-4 Pro

Is there anyway to upgrade the FS-4 in terms of recording formats as they become available in the future? I know that the hard drive is fixed at 40g or 80g, but what about firmware, etc.

I have no problem buying a unit fixed at 40 or 80 gigs, but I won't sink money into something that won't accept emerging recording formats, especially here on the edge of HD, HDV (which I've heard mentioned once in reference to firestore.), etc.

Anyone know if there's room to grow with FS-4 Pro?

Matt McEwen February 11th, 2005 12:06 AM

Hi Rick,

All the FireStore models except FS-1 are upgradeable in the field with a simple software upload. Stay tuned for more news on HD support.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Matt McEwen February 11th, 2005 12:09 AM

Hi Ron,

Yes the FS-4 and GL2 are compatible. I was using this setup just today! One thing I didn't know about the GL2, is that it is possible to superimpose date, time and other info over the video on the FireWire out. A lot of people ask us about this and I haven't seen it on many other camcorders.

Matt

Mihnea De Vries February 14th, 2005 09:06 AM

FS-4 PAL version

I understand that are 2 models, one NTSC and a PAL version,
The file formats i'm interested are 25p. DVX100AE and XL2 PAL are 25P, not 24P, and my question is if FS-4 PAL will have the option to save the files in Quicktime 25P instead of Quicktine 24P.

Mihnea de Vries

Rob Lohman February 14th, 2005 09:19 AM

Hello Mihnea and welcome aboard DVInfo.net. I don't know for
sure, but I would be highly suprised if the unit is available in
different versions like that. The digital signal is almost identical
in PAL versus NTSC, so I would assume that it works with both
(as is the case with all DV equipment thusfar).

24P isn't supported yet I think. But 30p is and 25p should as well.

Mihnea De Vries February 14th, 2005 09:58 AM

Hello Rob

files supprted until now are:

RawDV, AVI Type 1, AVI Type 2, Matrox AVI, Canopus AVI, QuickTime, AVI Type 2 24p, QuickTime 24p

sow there are 24p files but no 25p for PAL, but
they also advertise this:

25Mb/s, 8-bit 4:1:1 (NTSC-DV) or 4:2:0 (PAL-DV) video (model dependent)

that's why i assumed that are 2 diferent models, NTSC and PAL

so it makes no sens for 24P on the PAL version since PAL is 25 fps

i'm still confused and hope Matt will answer this one:)

Thanks...

David Yuen February 14th, 2005 09:22 PM

FireStore FS-4 and DV Rack?

Would there be any issues splitting the Firewire signal to both the FireStore FS-4 and a laptop running DV Rack?

Bill Ravens February 15th, 2005 01:06 PM

Firewire will support multiple devices on the same bus.

Daniel Kohl February 15th, 2005 05:35 PM

This should work, but you will most likely need to use a Firewire hub to do this with the FS-4.

Matt McEwen February 15th, 2005 08:46 PM

Hi Mihnea,

There will be separate PAL and NTSC versions of FS-4. 24p QuickTime and AVI Type 2 will not be choices in the PAL version. If your camcorder supports a 25p mode, you should be able to simply select any of the DTE recording formats and record the 25p to the file. It is not as drastic a difference when compared to NTSC-DV and 24p-DV. We are actually testing this feature shortly, so I will post the results here.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Arthur To March 1st, 2005 12:09 PM

Question about the FS-4

i was comparing the fs-4 and fs-4 pro charts on the focusinfo website.

apparently the fs-4 does not have LOOP PLAYBACK feature.

so lets say i get the fs-4 (non-pro)

and i shoot something, does this mean i cant hit a button and have it playback right on my viewfinder directly?

or does it mean i CAN, but i cant have it go over continuously or.....?

explain, im a tid bit confused

thanks

-arthur

Daniel Kohl March 2nd, 2005 07:44 AM

I just looked at the difference between play clip and loop clip on the beta FS-4 which I'm testing. Play clip, plays the clip and stops at the end, loop clip plays the clip and then starts at the beginning of the clip again. It does this until I press the stop key.

I don't know if this really answers your question, because the beta device I have seems to be a mix between the FS-4 and FS-4 pro. But at least we know that Focus is talking about two separate functions here, when it lists loop playback and playback.

John Sandel March 15th, 2005 06:05 PM

Firestore FS-4 Has Landed

Mine came today by UPS---the 40GB bottom of the line. Sorry if a thread like this already exists, I just got excited ...

Heck, there's nothing to this thing! No problem mounting it on my MagiqCam. Shipped with a 1394 cable, too.

Matt McEwen March 15th, 2005 06:16 PM

Hi John,

Post some pictures! We'd love to see how you are mounting FS-4.

Thanks,
Matt

Frank Yap March 21st, 2005 05:17 PM

Fs-4 Vx-2100

I just got my FS-4 today and here are some observations with my Sony VX-2100.

Not shure if the FS4 battery is being charged via 1394, I don't see the green led on. I've tried both VCR, Camra, with battery and AC adapter. Only when I connect the AC adapter to the FS-4 I see the green LED on, so I am shure it's charging.

VX-2100 doesn's support syncro slave (without tape) and tapeless recording, must press rec manualy on the FS-4 (not a big deal for me, I can live with that)

I didn't get mine with the FS-4 camera mount kit. The FS-4 has an internal fan that an on-camera mic might pick.

Later tonight I'll test it with Canon GL-2.

Frank Yap March 21st, 2005 06:27 PM

Normaly the VX-2100 should shut down after 10min if on battery but with the FS-4 connected it seems to keep the camera alive.

I did a test record and after 30min it's still running. It's awsome.

Frank Yap March 21st, 2005 07:24 PM

FS-4 with Canopus Edius 3.22b crahes

After shooting some test for about 2 hours, when I connect the FS-4 to my computer and import clips into the bin, Edius just closes and disapear. This on two computers. I did the same thing with Premier Pro 1.5, no problem.

So I guess its Canopus Edius is not compatable with the FS-4

Matt McEwen March 21st, 2005 08:54 PM

Hi Frank,

We do have an issue right now with Canopus Edius 3. We should have a resolution for this shortly. Previous versions of Edius should be OK.

When FS-4 is connected to another DV video device such as a camcorder or a deck, it does not get power from the 1394 port. When it is connected to some 1394 ports on computers, it is possible to power FS-4 if enough power is coming down the cable. My Power Mac G4 will power an FS-4, but it does not provide enough power to charge the battery.

With the VX2100, you will need a tape in the camcorder in order to use Syncro Slave. This is due to the fact the the VX2100 does not have an external DV control option. As you have pointed out though, it is possible to control record from the FS-4 itself.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Frank Yap March 21st, 2005 09:20 PM

The reason Canopus Edius 3.22b shuts down may be the file format. I've tried avi type2 and canopus avi both shuts Edius down.
However when I use quicktime, there is no problem. Edius can read mov files, so that works fine.

Karl Heiner March 26th, 2005 01:34 PM

from fs-4 to vcr/ dvd?

hi gang,

can i record directly (firewire) from a fs-4 onto a vcr or dvd?
if yes which brand.

planning to buy a vcr/ dvd combo from b&h could have problems to figure it out.

thanks

karl

Daniel Kohl March 27th, 2005 01:19 PM

Hi Karl,

I don't think that you can record directly from the FS-4. You would have to go through your camera or a digital / analog video converter. But that shouldn't really be a problem since you can use the camera you captured to the FS-4 with, for this purpose (unless it doesn't have a DV in).

And you would need to use a firewire hub to split the signal if you want to do this directly over firewire to the VCR / DVD recorder. Otherwise you would have to record using the composite video signal coming out of the camera or A/D video converter.

I'm not sure that the degradation in video quality would be that noticeable though, going this route. (I know that I am going way out on a limb here) but the quality loss of VHS or the realtime coding of the DVD recorder would subjectively exceed the visible quality difference between the pure DV signal and the composite signal.

But that's just a guess. Someone would have to make real world test to make the comparison to confirm that.

Frank Yap March 28th, 2005 09:18 AM

FS-4 dead buttons

For a second time I have all the buttons on the FS-4 dieing on me. Once I couldn't bring up the FS-4 even connected to AC. Next while the FS-4 was on, sameting. Had to remove battery and start again.

Matt McEwen March 28th, 2005 09:38 AM

Hi Frank,

Have you contacted Focus tech support? They can be contacted at support@focusinfo.com or at 408-370-9963.

Thanks,

Matt

Ray Liffen March 29th, 2005 12:36 AM

HOW LONG to download?

Having captured nearly three hours at a shoot I needed to download to free up the FS-4 for the next job, so I hooked up the FS-4 to a standard 1394 input on the editing PC. The destination drive was an ATA133 160Gb Maxtor.

I did a 'copy and paste' and waited, and waited, . . . . . It must have taken about 6 hours to download three hours of files.

Is this normal?

Ray Liffen
Intec Services, UK

Mark Geiser March 29th, 2005 06:38 AM

Ray..

Definately not.....I read somewhere that it is 4 to 5 times faster than real time. however, I just copied off 1GB and it took 30 seconds, so a full Fs4 (40gb) should take about 20 minutes give or take 5 minutes I guess.

Perhaps the issue is with the copy and paste function, try just dragging the folder off the FS4 onto your machine. As its going from one drive to another it should do a copy and not a move..

Mark

Dan Euritt March 29th, 2005 09:32 PM

FS-4 Status in Camera Viewfinder?

specifically, tapeless recording with the remote gpi trigger, camera on shoulder, which means that the fs-4 is mounted behind you, and you can't see it's display... how do you know that it's in record mode?

Chris Hurd March 29th, 2005 09:43 PM

Thanks Matt,

I would like to remind our members that the FIRST step they should take with regard to solving technical issues with any of our manufacturing sponsors is to contact their Tech Support channel directly. Doing so will produce much faster results than posting on a message board. Message boards are best suited for answering pre-sales questions and discussing usability, and NOT for tech support problems. Hope this helps,

Wayne Morris March 30th, 2005 05:51 PM

FS-4 and FAT32

Matt, I was curious why the FS-4 is formatted using FAT32 and also why the rotation is only 5400. Are these two characteristics good enough for DV video capturing?

Chris Hurd March 30th, 2005 07:21 PM

I'll let Matt handle the FAT32 question, but 4200rpm drive speeds are perfectly adequate for capturing (have done it myself with an FS-1 and a Lacie pocket drive at 4200rpm many times).

5400rpm is plenty of insurance for capture.

Steve Hawley March 31st, 2005 11:31 AM

I don't have the technical answers, but I was hesitant with the format's restrictions when buying the FS-4s.

That said, I have three. They are FABULOUS! We shoot some long-form things which means lots of QT files to put on the computer. They (so far) have been flawless except for one thing that was totally my fault. I really like the idea of having multiple files instead of one long file so that if there's any problem, I only have a small time to capture off the backup tape instead of having to capture the whole shabang. (I'm talking several hours)

- Steve

p.s. - I wonder if it would be possible to have flash memory instead of a spinning HD.

Matt McEwen March 31st, 2005 11:58 AM

Hi Wayne,

Chris is correct, 5400RPM as well as 4200RPM are more than adequate for recording DV. We use 5400RPM instead of 4200RPM mainly for performance reasons when the drive is being used for streaming clips directly in an NLE system's timeline...one of the advantages of DTE. The extra speed makes a difference when you are using multiple streams of video.

As for the FAT32 file format, it is used because of its universal compatibility on Mac and PC. The fact that you can connect the drive to a Mac or PC and use the clips on each, is a big plus. For instance, if I record Avid OMF clips, I can use them instantly on an Avid on a Mac or a PC.

Hope that helps,

Matt