fs-4pro HD- workflow question. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old December 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stern
Danny - did you look at the nnovia units? what do you think of those / have you read anything on them?
Yes I did look at them. I gave them another look today before I replied. They don't seem to have any support for HDV, they cost more, use FAT32 and they charge rip-off prices for larger hard drive capacities.

So, unless I missed something, as far as I can tell, it looks like their solutions are not something I would want and/or not anything better than Firestore. :(

I wish these tapeless solution outfits would tone down their excessive greed, get rid of the stupid FAT32 and come up with realistic solutions for going tapeless.

The Bella Corporation Catapult looks like it might be the solution I would want but they don't seem to be interested in replying to requests for more information about their product or when it actually will be available.

I contacted VideoGuys and I will get a replacement for the defective FS-4 HD that I have.

If the replacement unit is bad then I will say the heck with these things and build my own solution. Won't be as portable and all but at least it would really support HDV, use NTFS and have none of this split file(s) non-sense.

Thanks,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Danny Fye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens
Danny,
sorry you're having so much trouble. just had a thought...i had a lot of trouble with my firestore until i figured out that some cable work better than others. especially, at the 4 pin connector. have you tried using different cables?
The cable I have works fine with the other FS-4 HD I have. I think the second unit is simply defective.

I will get a replacement from VideoGuys.

Thanks,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Danny Fye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye
Yes I did look at them. I gave them another look today before I replied. They don't seem to have any support for HDV, they cost more, use FAT32 and they charge rip-off prices for larger hard drive capacities.

So, unless I missed something, as far as I can tell, it looks like their solutions are not something I would want and/or not anything better than Firestore. :(

I wish these tapeless solution outfits would tone down their excessive greed, get rid of the stupid FAT32 and come up with realistic solutions for going tapeless.

The Bella Corporation Catapult looks like it might be the solution I would want but they don't seem to be interested in replying to requests for more information about their product or when it actually will be available.

I contacted VideoGuys and I will get a replacement for the defective FS-4 HD that I have.

If the replacement unit is bad then I will say the heck with these things and build my own solution. Won't be as portable and all but at least it would really support HDV, use NTFS and have none of this split file(s) non-sense.

Thanks,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
interesting..when I looked on the nnovia site, I thought one of their products said HDV...

http://www.nnovia.com/products.html

at the top of the scroll box on that, page, see the spec for the newer product, QC Deck:
"nNovia is proud to introduce the QC Deck, our second generation in the Quick Capture A2D product line, featuring a removeable hard disc drive cartridge and HDV via the 1394 connection. In addition to all the features of the Quick Capture A2D, the QC Deck has added the following special features:

Selectable (After Recording!) File System: Fat32 or NTFS"

mentions both HDV and NTFS, your wish list! (well, in part). I can't tell from the one picture how it works..it looks a little large, but maybe it has it's own shoulder strap, etc.

I liked the look of the other ones, but like you say, didnt' see HDV.

Whether it would work for sony vegas and also my Canon A1 is another question...
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stern
interesting..when I looked on the nnovia site, I thought one of their products said HDV...

http://www.nnovia.com/products.html

at the top of the scroll box on that, page, see the spec for the newer product, QC Deck:
"nNovia is proud to introduce the QC Deck, our second generation in the Quick Capture A2D product line, featuring a removeable hard disc drive cartridge and HDV via the 1394 connection. In addition to all the features of the Quick Capture A2D, the QC Deck has added the following special features:

Selectable (After Recording!) File System: Fat32 or NTFS"

mentions both HDV and NTFS, your wish list! (well, in part). I can't tell from the one picture how it works..it looks a little large, but maybe it has it's own shoulder strap, etc.

I liked the look of the other ones, but like you say, didnt' see HDV.

Whether it would work for sony vegas and also my Canon A1 is another question...
I looked at their site and yes it does have HDV. As for NTFS, their site says, "Selectable (After Recording!) File System: Fat32 or NTFS"

What I don't quite understand is the part that says '(After Recording!)' Does that mean that it is only FAT32 while recording and then NTFS after? Doesn't make a bit of sense. I think they need to clarify their ad a bit.

Looked at B&H and the lowest price they have (Accepting Orders) is $1898.95. I could almost buy three non-pro FS-4 HD's for that price.

From what I read again, it looks like the HDV is a new feature with the QC Deck so the other units probably don't have HDV. The price on their other units is too high. The lowest price I found on any of their units at B&H is $989.00. This is the Quick-Capture 40GB unit which has FAT32 and no HDV capabilities. About $290.00 more and offers less.

Nnovia will have to be a lot more competitive than this.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Danny Fye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore