FS-4 HD M2T Files In Premiere Pro...NOT! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old April 30th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #1
New Boot

FS-4 HD M2T Files In Premiere Pro...NOT!

I bought an FS4 HD unit so that I could record and use the m2t HD files in Premiere Pro....but it does not work. When I drop the files on the timeline, the files are pixelated at the beginning of each clip and the audio is out of sync.

I cannot find any online solution....someone wanted me to try streamclip from squared5.com, but it doesn't have any HDV settings that I can see, and conversion defeats the whole purpose of getting the FS-4.

The Focus tech guy asked me endless email questions before telling me the FS4 HD won't work with Premiere Pro.

Anybody find a solution to this?? The FS-4 is going to be sold shortly if I cannot find a way to use it!
Eliot Goshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Not sure this will work... but try to rename the m2t files to mpeg

see if this helps...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Depends on your version of PPro. The m2t files don't work too well in PPro 1.5.x, but are supposed to work in PPro 2.0. If you're using PPro 2.0 and have read the help & Adobe forums, you might try the Premiere forum here ("Attend the World Premiere").

ciao,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:04 AM   #4
New Boot

I'm using 2.0....and it doesn't work.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliot Goshman View Post
I'm using 2.0....and it doesn't work.
is it a bootlegged copy?
James Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM   #6
New Boot

No....why?? (That's an unusual question.....)
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the following setup:
-FS-4HD
-JVC HD100
-Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0

For me, the m2t files import without issue into Premiere. I have experienced your symptoms when capturing video from the tape through CapDVHS, but that was solved with HDVSplit (it came down to an mpeg2 transport that Premiere doesn't appear to recognize).
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #8
New Boot

It has worked a few times for me, but not consistently. I'm going to wait for the new CS3 version of Premiere Pro and try again, before I dump it. Also, I hear that the new Pinnacle Studio 11 handles high def m2t files (with an extension of m2ts), so I'll try that too.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Major Player

I've never seen the 'HDV' files work from these units - I was one of the first to get the upgrade and I'm sure I'm subsequently one of the first to give up on it.

FS4 DV works
FS100 works
FS4 HDV is a class action suit (my apologies if I'm wrong)
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #10
New Boot

I agree....by the way, the HDV files won't work in Pinnacle Studio 11 either.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #11
Inner Circle

A silly, ignorant and possibly a goosechase propogating question - but - I understand firestore to be written to disks formatted in FAT32, not NTFS.

Premiere Pro 2 and the operating system it resides with, Windows XP, more often operates in a NTFS file system.

I have observed when extracting files from a normal hard drive drive formatted FAT32 and temporarily fitted up to the NTFS computer to copy the files, the task will happen, but much more slowly. Maybe I am mismanaging the system.

I wonder if, rather than operating the firestore to the computer and PP2 as an external hard drive, whether copying the entire files onto another internal drive formatted to NTFS, then importing those files to PP2 may help?

Maybe not if there is a proprietary operating system inhabiting the firestore drive and essential to the playback of those files.

One step furthur would be to convert those files via HD Link to cineform .avi before importing them to PP2.

Ignore my comments at will as I am only guessing wildly.

FOOTNOTE EDIT:

Go to this discussion -

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...519#post685519

it refers to a method of copying the firestore files using DOS script which might be a solution to your problem.

Last edited by Bob Hart; May 24th, 2007 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added info
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #12
New Boot

I Have copied the files from FS4HD to my XP drive many times before importing and no success. The format of the drives makes no difference, it's the format of the files....but I'll check out the link you sent, thanks.

The files are in 2Gig sections because of the FAT32 format, so maybe that's the problem....maybe I have to combine them as one file before importing.......I've been trying to import the individual files, instead of the complete file....we may be on to something here, or maybe not......
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #13
Inner Circle

"Concatenation" copying of the files via a DOS script was more extensively discussed as a genuinely viable problem solver in a dvinfo post a while back. I only remembered after having read the cineform post which I linked you to.

I could not quickly find that post which offered the solution and it may be buried fairly deep by now but it is most likely in the Firestore discussions. The DOS command in that post was accurately written as far as I could tell.

Last edited by Bob Hart; May 24th, 2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
"Concatenation" copying of the files via a DOS script was more extensively discussed as a genuinely viable problem solver in a dvinfo post a while back. I only remembered after having read the cineform post which I linked you to.

I could not quickly find that post which offered the solution and it may be buried fairly deep by now but it is most likely in the Firestore discussions. The DOS command in that post was accurately written as far as I could tell.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=87166

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hopping Mad

This FS-4 Pro HD incompatibility with PP 1.51 has made me look like an ill-informed dunce at work. I convinced my superiors to purchase the HD upgrade only to find it's useless for HD capture for Premiere. Here's what I've found so far:

m2t
-File format not supported in Prem Pro 1.51(PC)
-Renaming to mpeg causes Prem Pro 1.51 to choke on import, forcing a quit (PC)
-File format not supported in FCP HD 4.5 (Mac)
-FCP imports renamed-to-mpeg files, but black screen, no audio (Mac)

mov
-File format not supported in Prem Pro (PC)
-File format not recognized in FCP HD 4.5 (Mac)
-Causes Quicktime 7 to hang, forcing a quit (PC)
-Causes Quicktime 7 to hang (white screen), forcing a quit (Mac)
(The aforementioned DOS concatenation method doesn't work for me either: Prem Pro 1.51 still does not recognize the new concatenated file.)

Can anyone confirm that m2t (or mov) files captured with FS-4 Pro HD work in Vegas 7? I used up my trial long before this issue and would appreciate some input before laying down the cash. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ed Hecht; June 18th, 2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
Ed Hecht is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore